Harvard-MIT HST MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moo

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone apply to this program? I know I posted a topic on this a while back, but now that I've got my MCAT scores (9V, 12P, 12B, Q) what are they looking for in an applicant? The only research I'm going to do is in my senior year, for my honors thesis. I really want to attend this program because I hear it's very quantitative and requires a lot of math and physics, which I love. I don't mind pursuing independent research and I think it'll be interesting, but I don't want to spend another four years getting a PhD degree that I probably won't use since I'm primarily interested in clinical work. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi -

Apply. You'll only be out an application fee if you don't get an interview. Keep in mind, though, that HST is small! Only 30 people will enter as HST students, about half of whom are MD/PhD students. So... as an MD candidate, you're shooting for one of about 15 open spots.

I interviewed for HST last year... it is a fantastic program. It is very focused on research, however. The impression I got was that there isn't much hand holding... HST will only select applicants with a well-defined set of goals and past research experience to back up their words.

Ask yourself what you want to get out of medical school. HST is unlike any other program in the US, and it is radically different from the New Pathway. If you see yourself as a research-based academician, HST might be for you.

Good luck,

doepug
(Johns Hopkins, MS II)

is diffi-Q required for the program? will the look it you if you have not taken it, even if everything else si extremely strong?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck, bro. I went to college with a math major/premed who graduated at 19 years old (!) with a 3.8 and 36 MCAT (good college, too). He didn't even interview. I think you basically have to be a nationally recognized bad-ass to get in.

Hi, I'm pretty independent, and I'm pretty confident in my stats (except my VR score). What only worries me is the fact that I haven't done any research in undergrad, until now. My project right now is very very rigorous (it's in theoretical physics, what do you expect?) but I'm just afraid it is too little too late.

Originally posted by moo:
•Hi, I'm pretty independent, and I'm pretty confident in my stats (except my VR score). What only worries me is the fact that I haven't done any research in undergrad, until now. My project right now is very very rigorous (it's in theoretical physics, what do you expect?) but I'm just afraid it is too little too late.•

This is my personal thought but the HST program is similar to MSTP program. Stats are really important, but having a strong background in BIOMEDICAL research is critical. A publication or two may help. I am not sure how admission committee will look at research in physics or math because it is very different from medical research.

Good luck!

Exactly, legi2000. You'll notice that pretty much all premeds have "research". I think for Harvard/MIT it not only has to be really quantitative, but also something biomedically important in which you took a level of initiative that most undergrads do not normally take. I think you'll be questioned on why you don't just want to go to Physics grad. school if you present them with your current research experience (regardless of how difficult it is).
I also think that the Verbal portion of the MCAT is still important at schools like Harvard, and I'd bet that most successful applicants probably have at least an 11. Remember, EVERY aspect of your app. is scrutinized in this process and one small flaw can and will take you out at the tough schools.

moo, another tip for you.

I see you are from Canada. Me too.
I think applying to HST program as a foreign citizen is extremely difficult because HST program is funded by the US government.

Are you studying in the US or Canada now?

legi, well I'm studying here in Canada right now. I realize that my chances of HST is slim, b/c of my lack of research, but I was under the impression that they wanted engineering and physics students. Are you applying this year? If so, I'd like to know to which schools you are applying.

•legi, well I'm studying here in Canada right now. I realize that my chances of HST is slim, b/c of my lack of research, but I was under the impression that they wanted engineering and physics students. Are you applying this year? If so, I'd like to know to which schools you are applying.•

I am almost done with this stupid AMCAS application (still have vision essay to go), but I haven't decided if I should apply this year because I will be taking August MCAT. Even though I am studying in the US, it is going to be tough because I am a Canadian citizen. Note: Most US schools (except for USC) treat Canadians just like internationals.
I am not sure if HST looks in favor of engineering majors. Even though it states diff calc/calc based physics is required, I don't know if that necessarily means they look for applicants with certain majors. I am sure a French major can get into HST program if he is qualified to excel in biomedical research.

Legi, taking the August MCAT is a major disadvantage for US schools, although Canadians schools don't really care. I've called every single school on my list and they all say the same thing--that they treat Canadians as simply out of staters and they are like everyone else (ok, this applies to 70% of private schools and maybe 10% of state schools). For example, Ohio State has 2 Canadians in their class of 2005. When I called George Washington, the guy was like "what do you mean? Canadians are Americans."

•Legi, taking the August MCAT is a major disadvantage for US schools, although Canadians schools don't really care. I've called every single school on my list and they all say the same thing--that they treat Canadians as simply out of staters and they are like everyone else (ok, this applies to 70% of private schools and maybe 10% of state schools). For example, Ohio State has 2 Canadians in their class of 2005. When I called George Washington, the guy was like "what do you mean? Canadians are Americans."•

I know August MCAT will put me in a disadvantage if I apply this year, but I wonder it may be a bit different this year. AMCAS online app delayed everyone's application already and no one knows what's going to happen. If I apply this year I have to complete my application by the end of October at the latest. I plan to submit AMCAS next monday.
I don't know anything about OSU and GW because I don't think I am applying to those. However, schools I contacted like harvard, Penn, Duke, Stanford, Columbia etc all treat Canadians like internationals.
:) it is funny GW said "Canadians are Americans". hehe.

Hey, are you applying to Canadian schools? OMAS is going online starting from this year and do you think it is going to be as bad as AMCAS?
Btw, do you realize that your MCAT score will not get you an interview at UWO? This is one reason why I am not going to apply to any Canadian schools. I don't think I can get a high VR score in August.
Anyways, good luck with your application.

I'm going to apply to Harvard-MIT HST, but admittedly my chances of getting in there are about 1% or so.

Still, the breadth of research experiences available through MIT (I'm engineering) is just awesome.

I'm not sure if they favor math/engineering people or not, but I kinda doubt it. Of course there are relatively fewer people applying with research experience in those areas (compared to biology, chemistry, etc).

The HST seems like the kinda place that takes people who have done research every year since they graduated high school. I have almost 3 years research experience, but even that will probably come up short compared to most of the applicants applying there.

You might as well go for it, moo. You have to pay the application fee but its better to do that then wonder years later if you somehow could have gotten accepted.

I'd rather get a big fat rejection letter from them stating that I could NEVER hope to even kiss the ground they walk on, than not apply and then wonder in the future if I had a shot there.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Originally posted by jot:
•is diffi-Q required for the program? will the look it you if you have not taken it, even if everything else si extremely strong?•

According to the HST website, differential equations (along with one year of calculus) is required. I'm not sure if they will waive that or not.

legi, I learned my lesson. I am not applying to any Ontario schools. I am applying only to McGill and UBC and maybe UA and UCalgary in Canada, but I'm not banking in getting into any of them. I feel that my stats are relatively competitive in the US but not so here in Canada (especially Ontario). And yes, don't worry too much about VR. I am absolutely thrilled with my 9, as I couldn't seem to get higher than 7 on my practice tests. Oh yeah I'm pretty sure Harvard doesn't discriminate against Canadians.

baylor, you're absolutely right. I feel I owe it to myself to give it a shot. I think I'll apply to both the new pathway and the HST program. I'm not sure if they favor physics/engineering people either, but I hear the curriculum is geared toward us and it's one of a kind in North America.

Hey, moo.

Are you from BC? I am from Victoria. It seems like I have the best shot at UBC, but my undergrad curriculum doesn't seem to be compatible with what is required by UBC. Also, I've had 3 years of research experience and I have been told that UBC hates researchers. All they care about is community service and committment to practice in BC. In other words, I am not eligible. As Baylor suggested, you should go ahead and apply! Also, if you are attracted by HST program, you may also want to consider MD/PHD options.
Good luck!

Yes legi I'm from BC. ANd yes all those things you heard about UBC are true... It's all a crap shoot from here on in. Email me if you wanna talk more about it: [email protected]