Harvard MPH vs Hopkins MPH/MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Synorin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

Fortunately, I am accepted to Harvard MPH (65 Credit- Global Health Track) and Hopkins MPH/MBA dual degree program. However, it is so hard for me to make a decision. I am an international student; therefore, I am not very familiar with the USA schools which makes it even harder. I am really in need of advice.

My goal: When I was applying to schools I was planning to work in the International Organizations such as WHO, World Bank as well as NGOs and philantrophy. Yet, I want to keep my options for consulting and pharma open. My main goal right now is to choose the program which will make me the most competitive among variety of sectors by the time of graduation. Location of the school is not a big issue.

My current thought on programs:

Harvard MPH: Excellent name. Excellent education. School has vast connections and reputation among all sectors(not just public health). My worry is that I can face competition in the future from MBA graduates. (80k tuition)

Hopkins MPH/MBA: A good name. Excellent education. Very good reputation in the field of public health and medicine. MBA program is not amazing but it can be a nice compliment to the MPH study. I love the idea of studying public health in the morning and learning about business in the afternoon. My worry is that Harvard name can very well be even stronger than an additional graduate degree in the job market. (97k tuition)

I would really appreciate anyone who can help me with this decision.

My Background: I am an international medicine graduate. I have worked in several student NGOs on public health and global health projects during my medical study for over 5 years.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are worried about the "name" of Hopkins, I wouldn't worry too much. Hopkins has a great reputation, especially if you are looking into working with international organisations and NGO's.

If this was Harvard MPH/MBA vs. Johns Hopkins MPH/MBA I would probably pick Harvard because Harvard Business school is great! But the MPH side, both Harvard and Hopkins have a great reputation, I would say Hopkins has the advantage for working with International public health related NGO's.

If I were in your position I would probably pick Johns Hopkins because the MPH is just as good if not better than Harvards, plus you will be getting an MBA from a very decent school as well. And like you said, having an MBA does give you an edge. And in my opinion MBA+MPH from Hopkins gives you the upper hand over just a Harvard MBA, unless you plan to switch careers to non health related fields, and even then i'm sure 2 professional degrees makes you stand out.

Goodluck with your decision! They are both fantastic choices!

Thank you Ani7 for your answer. I am getting closer to Hopkins indeed. It seems like an MBA can give me an edge in the job hunting. Also, I have realised most of the people who are in their mid or late career in public health recommend me to go for Hopkins MPH/MBA route. I feel like this is an important indication.

I would really appreciate if there are any other advices fellow SDNers can give me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Synorin,
We both seem to be in a similar situation. I am also an international medicine graduate with relevant experience in international NGO's. I have a similar interest in getting into international public health organizations or allied fields like the pharmaceutical sector. I had the option between Yale MPH and Johns Hopkins MPH/MBA. From whatever I could understand,getting in to the Ivy Leagues would be a good idea if you are getting in to the business school too, as in an MPH/MBA, otherwise Johns Hopkins is a much better choice...

If you look at Harvard's 65-GH required curriculum, it is very MBA/management/econ/finance heavy. (It's actually why I'm leaning less towards it.) If you're looking for an MPH/MBA program, the GH-65 track is probably the closest thing at Harvard to that!

Greetings everyone,

Fortunately, I am accepted to Harvard MPH (65 Credit- Global Health Track) and Hopkins MPH/MBA dual degree program. However, it is so hard for me to make a decision. I am an international student; therefore, I am not very familiar with the USA schools which makes it even harder. I am really in need of advice.

My goal: When I was applying to schools I was planning to work in the International Organizations such as WHO, World Bank as well as NGOs and philantrophy. Yet, I want to keep my options for consulting and pharma open. My main goal right now is to choose the program which will make me the most competitive among variety of sectors by the time of graduation. Location of the school is not a big issue.

My current thought on programs:

Harvard MPH: Excellent name. Excellent education. School has vast connections and reputation among all sectors(not just public health). My worry is that I can face competition in the future from MBA graduates. (80k tuition)

Hopkins MPH/MBA: A good name. Excellent education. Very good reputation in the field of public health and medicine. MBA program is not amazing but it can be a nice compliment to the MPH study. I love the idea of studying public health in the morning and learning about business in the afternoon. My worry is that Harvard name can very well be even stronger than an additional graduate degree in the job market. (97k tuition)

I would really appreciate anyone who can help me with this decision.

My Background: I am an international medicine graduate. I have worked in several student NGOs on public health and global health projects during my medical study for over 5 years.

This is a stretch, but did you end up making a decision? I'm trying to decide between JHU MPH/MBA or Harvard's 65 health management program

In the world of MBAs, the school where you got the degree from matters. You can get an MBA entirely online, so simply having the degree doesn't mean much. JHU is not a well known MBA program. Like you said, Harvard and JHU both have pristine reputations within medicine. Harvard's reputation, however, extends beyond medicine.