Harvard News???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tch3232

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone get any news from Harvard recently? They supposedly sent out their decisions today. Please post any news and any details you care to submit. It is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't recieved my letter yet, but I did
hear that Harvard only interviewed about 600
applicants this year; they have interviewed
around 1000 in past years. Does any one know
how many spots they offer?

I don't know how many spots Harvard offered, I wasn't one of the lucky ones....few are. Anyway, my friend and I both received our rejections letters yesterday....went straight into the paper recycling bin!! :> )

--"The best things in life aren't things."

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my rejection letter today. Didn't much care for harvard anyways, but it's still a dissappointment not to have the opportunity to turn them down.

My girlfriend, on the other hand, got an acceptance.

For those with significant others trying to get into the same school.. any advice for a applicant who's losing faith?? This is the second time we've received different letters and it's tough.

[This message has been edited by dxn (edited 03-02-2001).]

rejected...blah. this process sucks.

Well...since I didn't get an interview, the rejection letter was expected

smile.gif

So, dxn, and all of the rest of you applying with significant others.... will you only go to a school if your significant other gets in? I mean, dxn, is your girlfriend seriously considering not going to Harvard if it means that you all can't go to the same school if you get in somewhere else together? I really appreciate the situation of people like you.... I hope it all works out.

neither one of us really liked harvard when we were there for interviews, so this rejection/acceptance isn't really that big of a deal. we would have turned them anyways had we both been accepted. however, as i mentioned before, this isn't the first time that we've received different decisions and i'm getting scared that it may become a trend now as u penn/cornell/duke send out letters.

although we would love to attend med school together, we are not absolutely set to that requirement. she's got a very nice financial package at a school i'm "on-hold" (post interview) at. i don't think it's fair to ask her to give that up to come to school with me if i don't get an acceptance there and we somehow get in somewhere else together. i guess it's a question of what aspects of life are going to make you happy. right now i'm not so sure how that balances out for me and my girlfriend. how happy would we be doing the long-distance thing? would we make it? how do you weigh a relationship (for us it's ~ 4yrs) against something as cold as money? i don't really know.

DXN: Wow, finally someone in my same shoes! My boyfriend (aka chi-chi on this site) and I are trying to get into the same school too. And for us, we are happy to turn down better schools to be together. I think med school is hard enough, that I can't imagine adding a long distance relationship in the mix. Lately, we've been pretty discouraged by the responses we've received. But, fortunately, the first school we heard from, U Mich, accepted both of us. We'd like to get into Cornell, UPenn, and/or Yale, but I can see that being tough. Have you been telling schools about your situation? I think that helps at some schools and does absolutely nothing at others. Many admissions officers have told us that if one person gets in and the other gets waitlisted, that we should write a letter to the school explaining the situation. They say that when they take people off the waitlist, it is often pretty random anyway, and such information would help. We've been telling schools about our situation during the interviews because for the most part, we've interviewed at schools at the same time. Hang in there.

[This message has been edited by lizard (edited 03-03-2001).]

yeah, i was advised by several people (current med students, my pre-med advisor) to write letters and explain that we are both looking to attend medical school together. we've both written those letters and as you said, for some schools that may play into consideration and for others, it means dittly squat.
we too would very much like to hear back from cornell and upenn (didn't apply to yale) and i'm hopeful for different reasons at both schools. upenn because of a couple we both ended up staying with as student hosts when we went for interviews. they said that they too wrote letters when they were applying explaining that they were engaged and that they wanted to attend together. one of the major pluses about upenn that they were happy about was that the school was very receptive to that need. (exactly how, i don't know.. but just like the whole atmosphere of upenn, it seems that the school tries very hard to make its students happy.)

this whole application process is hellish and i wish that it could be different. geez.. i feel like i've been an offical applicant forever. i was busy with application paperwork in the november of 1999!!

I was just wondering if anyone else hasn't received their letter yet? I live in new york , which isn't too far from boston of course, and I have friends in different parts of the country who all received their letters a few days ago. I have yet to get mine and am starting to think that perhaps mail really does get lost sometimes...

YES. I did not receive it either. I am down south and many people around me have received the letters here (Rejections w/o interview). This is killing me. Hopefully we'll get it tommorow. When, do you think, would be a good time to call them if we don't receive the "verdict" (Thursday perhaps?)