Harvard or Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Merry Christmas

• Merry Christmas

Votes: 27 38.6%
  • And a Happy New Year

Votes: 43 61.4%

• Total voters

Gleevec

Peter, those are Cheerios
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. Merry Christmas everybody! Hope you're having a good week, getting tons of great presents that you actually want, and wallowing in seas of eggnog and wine.

:clap:

Members don't see this ad.

i dont know if i can drink eggnog...
doesnt look appealing...but the wine...no problem ;)

:) Nice one gleevec...

why did more people pick "and a happy new year" than "merry xmas?"

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by spumoni620

religious thing maybe (kwanzaa, hanukah, neither)? dunno I just added a poll to add to the illusion and those two terms popped in my mind.

Merry Christmas! Mmmm, eggnog... :)

The fact that Gleevec posted it kinda gave it away as a joke ;)

If squat n' squeeze posted this, then it's probably real.

Originally posted by spumoni620

13:13 so far. I can't belive it. May be your whistle is heard. Because it seems like every one eventually turns out to be some kind of Asian who lives in California, I expected more domination by "Happy New Year" than this.

Originally posted by calcrew14
Because it seems like every one eventually turns out to be some kind of Asian who lives in California, I expected more domination by "Happy New Year" than this.

What does that have to do with this poll?

13:13 so far. I can't belive it. May be your whistle is heard. Because it seems like every one eventually turns out to be some kind of Asian who lives in California, I expected more domination by "Happy New Year" than this.

wtf ???

What's the fact?
I just thought that most oriental people celebrate new year. Christmas is just a windfall.

And I am willing to bet that parents of everyone here do so.
Thanks for helping me doing the CPR on this thread. :D

What's the fact?
I just thought that most oriental people celebrate new year. Christmas is just a windfall.

"Oriental" is no longer a politically correct term, use "Asian" if you wanna stay alive ;)

Also, I think many non-Christian countries do celebrate X'mas (Not sure about Islamic countries though). You will see big celebrations throughout most of the East Asian countries, especially in strong Christian/Catholic countries such as Phillippines and South Korea

I am white and I live in new york

Originally posted by ForensicPath
I am white and I live in new york

No problem. I can write off the loss on you. But have you ever had a thought of reincarnation? Let me know if you need help. :D
Ooops, gotta go now.

Members don't see this ad :)
No problem. I can write off the loss on you. But have you ever had a thought of reincarnation? Let me know if you need help. :D
Ooops, gotta go now.

Bro, pass the pipe. I want to have what you are smoking.

What's the fact?

So since I'm an "oriental" from california, new years is more important to me? Whats this stupid green tree doing in my house?

Where the hell do you live, I havent heard the term "oriental" since a redneck cab driver picked me up from the airport in lansing. I hope you dont use the same "tact" with your patients one day.

Since you're calling people "orientals" does that mean you celebrate the yearly demolition derby at the local hog farm more than xmas too?

hopkins.

your poll sux.

My guess is that only people who are trained to be offended by "oriental" are offended by "oriental." Stop the politically correct crap. This whole oriental/asian distinction is crap. It's not like someone calling a Japanese dude a horny *#@$*@#$ mysogynistic pervert or anything, it's just asian/oriental. Get over it, stop making distinctions without a difference!

[ALLCAPS and inappropriate material removed by Neuronix (moderator) - Please don't post with your caps lock on. For that matter, don't hold shift down for the entire post either.]

I'm both Asian AND redneck. None of this offends me. I've been called hick and oriental (the nurse called me that), but I couldn't care less. I laugh at people's ignorance.

do you consider not knowing some arbitrary bs "ignorance"?

Street Philosopher, all I can say is CALM DOWN. The personal attacks and inappropriate posts have to go. This is a serious warning. The offensive posts have been deleted. All this in a Merry Christmas thread... yow!

WTF is going on. I start a thread to wish everyone a HAPPY HOLIDAYS and somehow it gets perverted into some kind of pissing match?

Man WTF is going on. I definitely didnt expect such crap out of Street...

why is scat fetish edited? bs? it's not like i spelled out bull pucky. and there are people who have fetishes for fecal matter. i did not realize this was a disney forum.

however, warning noted.

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
why is scat fetish edited? bs? it's not like i spelled out bull pucky. and there are people who have fetishes for fecal matter. i did not realize this was a disney forum.

I know people get away with stuff like that in the lounge, moderators just choose their battles. It's still inappropriate for a G-rated forum such as SDN and I figured while I was editing I should go after it. Technically, we are something like a Disney forum as this entire site is rated by the web rating services as being for everyone--including children. Until that changes, we try to keep things as clean as we can. The new sticky at the top of the lounge reflects this fact, and typically it's not a problem outside of there.

Happy new year everyone!

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
My guess is that only people who are trained to be offended by "oriental" are offended by "oriental."

That's not the point. Even if you think it's harmless, why use a potentially offensive term when there is a better term?

It's even worse when a person knows that it's an offensive term and purposely uses it and expect the rest of the world to be fine with it...

WARNING: Not trying to start anything!

I didn't know oriental was offensive. Does this apply to describing food as well? Is it more correct to call something asian cuisine? I'm only asking because I'm a big fan of the Food Network and a little bit curious. Thanks!

~AS1~

yeeesshhh. i'm sorry my question sparked such controversy. how on earth did this innocent, festive thread turn into such a battlefield?

:(

Originally posted by CalBeE
That's not the point. Even if you think it's harmless, why use a potentially offensive term when there is a better term?

It's even worse when a person knows that it's an offensive term and purposely uses it and expect the rest of the world to be fine with it...

Hey, I have just returned home only to find out that an earthquake has turned it into rubbles. Some god must have had some fun.

I didn't really think that it was offensive. Let only paranoic mind scrutinize on the intention. People who always wonder how bad a colleague would be as a doctor should spend more time at their mirrors finding out how to deal with all these nonsenses.

It is alright even no one was understanding how I tried to point out the benefit of this thread, my way. I am glad to see that many have stayed neutral. That's why I don't see any need to apologize. Besides, I probably have rescued a few warriors from the kingdom of boredom.

I choose to reply to one of the cooler heads here. How would you like to be called? Give me a few choices, please!

Again, happy christmas and merry new year everyone.

Ok I think we should end the whole Asian/Oriental discussion...
Everyone just gets emotional, and saliva & sweat just fly all over the place...

So what are your opinions on Affirmative Action?? :D

Originally posted by CalBeE
Ok I think we should end the whole Asian/Oriental discussion...
Everyone just gets emotional, and saliva & sweat just fly all over the place...

So what are your opinions on Affirmative Action?? :D

MD vs DO

Any questions?