Harvard Part Online Part Campus MPH Epi Vs Hopkins 11 month MPH Epi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vivi148

Millionth SDN Thread!
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I've been accepted to both programs. I understand that this is HSPH's first time doing an online/on-campus program. I live in Seattle, so this is very appealing to me. But I also worry that an MPH with an online component won't be taken seriously after I graduate. It also seems like they encourage people to continue working in their hospitals/ institutions but I just moved to the country, so I'm not really affiliated with any hospitals. I worry that I won't have sufficient networking to land a good job after graduation.

With JHU, I will need to relocate to Baltimore. The cost of living and the safety of the city concern me. Also 11 months seem like a really short time to finish all the necessary courses and a project/practicum/thesis. I don't want to rush through the MPH and not gain enough skills.

Do you guys have any advice/suggestions/personal experiences to share? I appreciate it. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys!

I've been accepted to both programs. I understand that this is HSPH's first time doing an online/on-campus program. I live in Seattle, so this is very appealing to me. But I also worry that an MPH with an online component won't be taken seriously after I graduate. It also seems like they encourage people to continue working in their hospitals/ institutions but I just moved to the country, so I'm not really affiliated with any hospitals. I worry that I won't have sufficient networking to land a good job after graduation.

With JHU, I will need to relocate to Baltimore. The cost of living and the safety of the city concern me. Also 11 months seem like a really short time to finish all the necessary courses and a project/practicum/thesis. I don't want to rush through the MPH and not gain enough skills.

Do you guys have any advice/suggestions/personal experiences to share? I appreciate it. Thank you!
Johns Hopkins is the top ranked MPH in the country. Although it is an 11 month program, it is incredibly intensive and will give you all of the opportunities that a 1.5-2 year program would give you. You will probably be able to gain more practical skills in the 11 month program than you would through an online program (or even part online in this case). If I were you, I would choose JHU. However, if your other concerns are a major factor to you, HSPH is also a good program.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys!

hi! I don't know if you use this site anymore, but if you do, I was just wondering what program you chose and how you like it (haven't been accepted to Harvard but applied to the same program and am having similar reservations, but I did get into JHU). If you're still around, send me a message! would like to know more

Hi guys!

Hi, which program did you choose? I have a few question for the fall 2018 class.