1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Harvard, Penn, Columbia consortium?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Sapphire1416, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Sapphire1416

Sapphire1416 Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey,

Has anyone heard that Harvard, Penn, and Columbia form a consortium and come spring time- they negotiate on students..so that most likely you wont be accepted to more than one of those three schools if you interviewed at all three?

Any thoughts? :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. they left hopkins out??? +pissed+

4. AegisZero

AegisZero Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

They can only do this legally at the wait-list period of the application process. That is, schools dont see where others got accepted until the waitlist period. They are not allowed by AAMC procedure to negotiate over students before they hand out acceptances, only at the wait-list period. If they could, this would create SERIOUS ethical concerns about student's rights. It would essentially deny students free choice in a purely competitive market. Anyone else have any further info on this? I really think this is just a myth though, nothing to worry about.

5. mamie

7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I'm with you on this. This is just a myth. I think this comes from the fact that med schools used to talk to each other concerning financial aid packages that they were going to give to certain accepted students. That practice was made illegal just a few years ago. However, I am not even going to believe that some communication doesn't go on. That being said I know many who got into all three schools listed above and all made choices concerning what was best for them and their future.

6. AegisZero

AegisZero Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Even if some communication goes on, it still is highly illegal according to AAMC by-laws. It really screws students over big time. If med schools want to do a "matching system" just like residency programs, then they should implement that. This secretive sharing of the accepted lists (if it exists) is BS.

7. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

It's a big conspiracy! Someone call Barbara Walters!

8. mamie

7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I agree with you 100%. However, I have learned never to put anything past these adcoms.

9. CU_buffalo

CU_buffalo Member
    7+ Year Member

I have read in some med school admissions books that each school can obtain a list of all med school applicants and the acceptances they are currently holding. So, if say, Penn sees that one of their applicants already has a Harvard or JHU acceptance, they may not send out an acceptance to that applicant, thinking their offer would only turned down.

10. AegisZero

AegisZero Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hmm, if you read it I would like to see the source. What you are describing is illegal by AAMC code. What they CAN do is during the waitlist --> acceptance period, they can look at who has already been accepted and move other waitlist candidates up preferentially. This itself isnt a very good practice for students, but if they are doing so during the heart of the process as you suggest, there are definitely some ethical issues.

I still think they should do med school admissions like residency matching.

11. Bonds756

Bonds756 6 time MVP
    7+ Year Member

I know at least a half dozen students in my first year class who were planning on going to Columbia and then got into Penn off the waitlist and turned Columbia down.

12. AegisZero

AegisZero Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Ah, OK good. so maybe this isnt really happening but is in fact a myth as we had hoped.

13. Bonds756

Bonds756 6 time MVP
    7+ Year Member

I mean, after the waitlist period they know where else you have been accepted. And each school wants to have high matriculation percentages, so anything could happen. But really, these school are in competition for students. Bottom line, don't think about the potential for collusion. Just do your best to get into each school.

14. md689

md689 Member
    7+ Year Member

15. well it may be clearer than you think about certain schools-- if you are a top applicant on the east coast, you most likely applied to Harvard and JHU,

if you are from NY and applied to Columbia you most likely applied to NYU as well. We all apply to the same schools!!

This was confirmed for me (and also that the adcoms talk) by students at columbia during my interview. So alas, just hope.

16. crazyA

crazyA Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I know firsthand of a case to disprove this...

The guy who hosted me at Penn was an M1, and he got in everywhere last year, I mean literally every top school you can name...including Penn...which he ended up picking

17. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

That's only after April 15 or whatever.

And Aegis, can you use the word AAMC again? I'm not sure you used it enough. Your posts are really repetitive.

18. jot

jot

i know this prolly doesn't apply to you guys - but for us mstp peeps there is a national database so everyone knows where you are interviewing and possibly where you are getting offers. schools do courtesy calls to less lucrative schools if they are going to offer someone a position, so the 'lesser school' has time to get another person to fill their spot. the mstp's definately do shuffle you around, and most schools won't offer acceptances unless they think you will come. thier 'capture rate' of offers:matrics is part of their nih ratings, so they are really concious about it. but i digress .....