harvard (questions)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rkr

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
the usnews sites says that the # of applicants at harvard (for sept 2000) were about 4600...this year i was told that the total number of applicants were 4200...has anyone wondered why the application pool for harvard is dwindling?....also does anyone know why harvard now interviews less applicants (650 this year) compared to previous years?...thanks..

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by rkr:
•the usnews sites says that the # of applicants at harvard (for sept 2000) were about 4600...this year i was told that the total number of applicants were 4200...has anyone wondered why the application pool for harvard is dwindling?....also does anyone know why harvard now interviews less applicants (650 this year) compared to previous years?...thanks..•••••I know that Harvard started interviewing applicants really late due to AMCAS problems; hence, the low number of people selected for interviews despite their postponing the decision deadline. I have no idea why the total number of applicants decreased this year. But it's good news for us, no? :)

The total number of applicants has dropped more than 25 percent over the last 5 years (more than 6 percent last year alone). I think the overall downward trend in applications is continuing and the AMCAS troubles this year surely didn't increase the number of applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by Cdc28p:
I know that Harvard started interviewing applicants really late due to AMCAS problems; hence, the low number of people selected for interviews despite their postponing the decision deadline. I have no idea why the total number of applicants decreased this year. But it's good news for us, no? :) [/QB]••••definitely good news for those who have been fortunate to interview :) ...but i know quite a few people who are terribly upset for not having the chance to interview....if i remember correctly i think the decision to interview fewer candidates was made last year...

I think it's better that schools interview less people and have a stricter initial cut. That way, applicants don't have to waste their time and money for interviews if the school is not really considering them.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by bomback:
•I think it's better that schools interview less people and have a stricter initial cut. That way, applicants don't have to waste their time and money for interviews if the school is not really considering them.•••••i totally agree with you...and i also think the value of interviews in the application process has been really been overblown by the medical schools....how can you know a person in an one-hour interview?...sometimes they are just 15 minutes!!!...

•••quote:•••Originally posted by bomback:
•I think it's better that schools interview less people and have a stricter initial cut. That way, applicants don't have to waste their time and money for interviews if the school is not really considering them.•••••WELL SAID!!

The whole money saving part of your argument is valid, but wouldn't you rather attend a school that places more value on face-to-face interpersonal communication skills and less on how you look on paper. Schools should definitely not interview someone that they wouldn't accept numerically, but school that emphasize the interview will likely produce better doctors than a school that accepts all interviewees. Come on, let's face it, there are a lot of smart pre-meds that are complete tools and don't have the communication skills it takes to be a good doc.

humm...one of my guesses is that harvard may not have actually gotten all of the applicants primaries...the school doesn't screen and I never got a secondary, after calling multiple times they claimed they never got my mailing address from amcas...might explain a few at least....(there are about 7 other schools I never heard anything from...no secondary, no rejection, nada...) But considering nationally applicants have gone down almost 20% in the last couple of years this probably has more to do with it...

trout,

That was my problem with Harvard's secondary as well--Jason Graff told me that he did not receive a "preprinted address label" for me from AMCAS. (I have certainly complained re: this before!) It took me two months of fighting with him and going over his head before he would write my address on an envelope and send me the damned secondary.

So, his telling you thay they did not have an address for you from AMCAS is his way of saying, "I don't feel like writing 3 lines of text on an envelope."

The bitterness begins anew. :wink:

mma

trout,

That was my problem with Harvard's secondary as well--Jason Graff told me that he did not receive a "preprinted address label" for me from AMCAS. (I have certainly complained re: this before!) It took me two months of fighting with him and going over his head before he would write my address on an envelope and send me the damned secondary.

So, his telling you thay they did not have an address for you from AMCAS is his way of saying, "I don't feel like writing 3 lines of text on an envelope."

The bitterness begins anew. :wink:

mma

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Procrastinator:
•The whole money saving part of your argument is valid, but wouldn't you rather attend a school that places more value on face-to-face interpersonal communication skills and less on how you look on paper. Schools should definitely not interview someone that they wouldn't accept numerically, but school that emphasize the interview will likely produce better doctors than a school that accepts all interviewees. Come on, let's face it, there are a lot of smart pre-meds that are complete tools and don't have the communication skills it takes to be a good doc.•••••I definitely think that communication skills are important for a doctor. That's why we need to have interviews, or else med school application would be like law school and no interviews would be needed at all. The interview should be used as a means of determining if a person is competent and can hold a conversation. A one hour interview should not, however, have the same weight as 4 years of experience and education.

Very true, very true, but all else being equal, a school that interviews more students will be able to sort through and accept students with better communication skills. That's all I was saying.

[/QUOTE]I definitely think that communication skills are important for a doctor. That's why we need to have interviews, or else med school application would be like law school and no interviews would be needed at all. The interview should be used as a means of determining if a person is competent and can hold a conversation. A one hour interview should not, however, have the same weight as 4 years of experience and education.[/QB][/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]I definitely think that communication skills are important for a doctor. That's why we need to have interviews, or else med school application would be like law school and no interviews would be needed at all. The interview should be used as a means of determining if a person is competent and can hold a conversation. A one hour interview should not, however, have the same weight as 4 years of experience and education.[/QB][/QUOTE]

are you suggesting that one does not need any communication skills to be a lawyer...i think that communication skills are needed for all prfessions...i do not think that the interviews which in most cases are not even an hour long serve any purpose....there are many instances when the interviewer himself/herself lack communication skills...

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Procrastinator:
•The whole money saving part of your argument is valid, but wouldn't you rather attend a school that places more value on face-to-face interpersonal communication skills and less on how you look on paper. Schools should definitely not interview someone that they wouldn't accept numerically, but school that emphasize the interview will likely produce better doctors than a school that accepts all interviewees. Come on, let's face it, there are a lot of smart pre-meds that are complete tools and don't have the communication skills it takes to be a good doc.•••••I agree that there are a lot or smart pre-meds that are 'tools', but communication skills are not required for every branch of medicine. think about it, not all people going into medical school want a practice centered around patient contact. Some who enter medicine go into more corporate oriented careers (md/mba). perhaps some of those 'tools' would be excellent surgeons but not good primary care physicians? Communication skills needed in medicine are also developed in medical school and in your career, thereafter. ( but i do think some people have a natural ability to communicate with other people more so than others).

as far as schools making cuts. i am for it. for example..UCSF interviews 500 applicants out of 4800 or so. they choose those 500 based on numbers, your essay**, and letters of rec***

letters of recommendations SHOULD say something more than just how good of a student you are. they should tell the admissions committee that you are worth meeting in person. so should your personal statement. if an applicant writes an excellent personal statement and has letters that comment on character, personality, sense of humor, intelligence, etc..that applicant will most likely get interviews from many schools if they have the numbers to back them up.

if schools screened secondaries based on numbers/personal statement and then determined interviews based on numbers/personal statement + the letters of rec..i don't think they would wind up interviewing too many 'tools'. interviewing lots of 'tools' usually occurs when little weight is put on anything aside from numbers.

So far in the process, I have appreciated the schools that have screened for secondaries and have been more critical in who they have chosen for an interview. The sense of accomplishment is there, along with the feeling that the interviews are held as more important. I don't think schools that interview 1500 people for 180 spots actually put a lot of value on the interview in the end, i.e. Columbia. They may interview 1500 or whatever the number is, but they only last for an avg of 15-20 minutes. Most of the schools that interview 500 or so provide the applicant with atleast two interviews and they usually last for an hour or more. That gets my respect.