PDsquash83

10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2005
Status
Okay this is going to be fragmented: I remember from my chilhood watching a documentary about going to harvard medical school. It followed around 5 students and kindof related their experiences and all that jazz. Interesting to see now.

Anybody remember this too? Clues about how to get my hands on it?

-M

Carmenita79

10+ Year Member
May 10, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
PDsquash83 said:
Okay this is going to be fragmented: I remember from my chilhood watching a documentary about going to harvard medical school. It followed around 5 students and kindof related their experiences and all that jazz. Interesting to see now.

-M
Is this it?
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/doctors/meet.html

OP
P

PDsquash83

10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2005
Status
About the Ads

inverse_scatter

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2006
Status
PDsquash83 said:
Don't think so. It was specific to one medical school and I think it was Harvard. One guy was a former clown and he was hilarious.

Thanks though Carmenita what you sent was interesting.
I'm pretty sure the docs in Carmenita's link are, indeed, the doctors you are referring to. The original show was called "Survivor, MD" and you can buy it here:

http://shop.wgbh.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=12122&storeId=11051&catalogId=10051&langId=-1

And I think this is actually a sequel of this:
http://shop.wgbh.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=11132&storeId=11051&catalogId=10051&langId=-1

Blue Dog

Fides et ratio.
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
PDsquash83 said:
I remember it...good program. It was originally broadcast on Nova, and was entitled "MD: The Making of a Doctor." You can buy it from Amazon here.

*sunny*

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2001
nj
Visit site
Status
i agree.. survivor MD. i think it was the second part that speant so much time following around a guy who wanted to be a psych. resident and how he had to do all the psychoanalysis. part I was way better

OP
P

PDsquash83

10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2005
Status
Whoops you are exactly right. Thanks for the links.

inverse_scatter said:
I'm pretty sure the docs in Carmenita's link are, indeed, the doctors you are referring to. The original show was called "Survivor, MD" and you can buy it here:

http://shop.wgbh.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=12122&storeId=11051&catalogId=10051&langId=-1

And I think this is actually a sequel of this:
http://shop.wgbh.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=11132&storeId=11051&catalogId=10051&langId=-1

Dr Durden

10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
The Dirty South
Status
Medical Student
Call me shallow, but for me the most eye-opening thing in that series was the total mess those people had for personal lives. It seemed like only the eye doc ended up with anything close to a happy and stable family.

coco

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2004
Status
Medical Student
*sunny* said:
i agree.. survivor MD. i think it was the second part that speant so much time following around a guy who wanted to be a psych. resident and how he had to do all the psychoanalysis. part I was way better
i totally remember that!! but yes, i agree with dr. durden about the doctors' personal lives...crazy stuff.

funny, i was just thinking about that show about a week ago...

HairyCow

Sweeping the Nation
10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Is this the one where at least one of them is wearing giant glasses? That's all I remember...

TMP-SMX

Moderator Emeritus
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Yep. Watched the thing in my medical anthropology class.

And yes... They are failures in their relationships. (Except one of them who ended up in rural Michigan.)

How can you be any good at family practice if you can't keep a stable family?

sentrosi

INTARWEB USER
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2004
TEH INTARWEB
Status
Medical Student
Wow. How has everyone seen this?

hsperson

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 18, 2005
Status
Yeah I remember seeing this too. Bear in mind that it came in many parts, the last of which came out just a few years ago. It was a follow up special. Yeah, it was interesting and all, but I too was hoping all of them would live happily ever after. It's funny because in the first one they're all fresh-faced and idealistic but by the end, not only do they seem stressed, regretful and mentally anguished over their failed family attempts among other things, but time wasn't too friendly on their appearances either. :laugh:

OP
P

PDsquash83

10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2005
Status
BozoSparky said:
i saw this a while ago...but he was a bit of a womanizer, i think.
Is it only out on VHS?

maestro1625

10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2006
Status
Medical Student
did anyone else read the title of the thread and think this was going to be about a show about a bunch of spoiled rich Ivy undergrads with no concept of how anyone below the Bush tax cut line lives?

Dr Durden

10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
The Dirty South
Status
Medical Student
maestro1625 said:
did anyone else read the title of the thread and think this was going to be about a show about a bunch of spoiled rich Ivy undergrads with no concept of how anyone below the Bush tax cut line lives?
:laugh: Something along the lines of Real World: Cambridge?

maestro1625

10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Dr Durden said:
:laugh: Something along the lines of Real World: Cambridge?
sound about right. With the fact that most of the people from my HS/hometown who go to top schools tend to get a hard reality check once they realize that you can't ass kiss your way through college as they did in HS, I could basically make the real world out of the freshman dorm... and it'll give me a nice career should this medicine thing not work out.

Oculus Sinistra

Finish it.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2006
Florida
Status
Pre-Medical
KentW said:
I remember it...good program. It was originally broadcast on Nova, and was entitled "MD: The Making of a Doctor." [/URL].
I think this one is the correct title.
I watched it last semester.
But maybe that was the one about JHU Med where the student said if you as a patient had a routine problem, they weren't very interested in you.

About the Ads