Harvard School of Public Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This thread helped me a lot while I was waiting, so I thought I should finally register and put my two cents in. Got accepted today to their MPH (Global Health) via an e-mail directing me to their online status page. I'm very excited! Is anyone going to their open house? Good luck to those who are still waiting!

Members don't see this ad.

In at last to HSPH! The waiting was horrible! Any fellow international applicants heard abt funding?

Congrats, Bizzle! Are international students eligible for funding? I didn't know that! Any help would be appreciated. I'm coming down from the high of the acceptance, and am now realizing just how much debt I agreed to take on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well we also filled a finaid app too! &also applied 4 some scholarships! So am eager to know if I get any!

There was no mention of financial aid in my acceptance letter, but when I logged into the FinAid page, it said that if I didn't see an "awards" tab, then I hadn't been given one.
I guess that means that I don't have any kind of financial aid at all...

All hope is not lost zahazie. . . at least according to this message on Finaid

Congratulations again on your acceptance to the Harvard School of Public Health for the 2009-2010 academic year. If you currently do not see an "Award" tab, you have not been awarded financial aid at this time. Please be advised that 2009-2010 award decisions for the School of Public Health and General University scholarships may not be made until March 30, 2009. Students SELECTED for these awards will be notified by email as soon as this determination is made. You may also continue to view any updated awards on MyFinaid. As an international student, you may want to explore scholarship opportunities and supplemental loan options by visiting our website. To help in your scholarship search, please visit: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/osfs/scholarships/ and for information on loans available to students who can obtain a co-signer who is a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident, please refer to: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/osfs/loans/international

Hi all, got accepted to HPM, as an international student from India.
Last week, got an e mail saying decision is availabe. Happy to know that i have made it till Harvard, but i have already joined BUSPH in spring and paid the fee too :-(
Had no ideas tht harvard will bother abt my application.

So hard time figuring what to do??

Hi all, got accepted to HPM, as an international student from India.
Last week, got an e mail saying decision is availabe. Happy to know that i have made it till Harvard, but i have already joined BUSPH in spring and paid the fee too :-(
Had no ideas tht harvard will bother abt my application.

So hard time figuring what to do??

You will lose the deposity at BU but I have known several people who have deposited at two places to secure spots and then just decided on one. If you want to go to Harvard, pay their deposity and then just let BU know you won't be attending.

Got acceptance email two days back for the MPH program (CMP) with Management focus. I am from India and will join as an international student. However, have learnt and worked in USA for almost a decade. Would like to connect with others who are in the same boat - HSPH, that is.

My status finally changed. Will it take a whole day for the email to arrive?

Rejected from Harvard SM2 in SHDH tonight...
Straight out of undergrad, so I guess I knew it was coming...
But, now I can begin the decision process!

still no word. applied to Master of Public Health concentrating in Global Health. any others in the same boat? good luck to everyone still waiting :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
still no word. applied to Master of Public Health concentrating in Global Health. any others in the same boat? good luck to everyone still waiting :xf:

applied to global health mph back in november...still nothing-application/decision website used to say I would recieve a decision in mid march but that line was just removed yesterday...

kaquinn the status change might mean you'll hear tomorrow then... good luck! mine still says my app is in review and that i may have to produce transcripts from institutions X, Y, and Z should I be admitted. good luck!

Finally got the rejection notice. It came the day after my status changed. It's nice to know, finally, despite the negative decision. It's my first rejection, and I'm happy with my other options.

Finally got the rejection notice. It came the day after my status changed. It's nice to know, finally, despite the negative decision. It's my first rejection, and I'm happy with my other options.

Interested to hear how people have been notified - did you status change first on the website, or did you recieve an acceptance/rejection email or letter?
Thanks!

hey everyone,

Just figured i'd post my reply as well: got accepted to the SM2 program in HPM at Harvard. Am an international student though, and no mention of financial aid.

Any fin aid/scholarship updates for anyone? Also who's visiting Apr 3rd?

Accepted via email. HPM program.

Lotsa loans though so I'm gonna stick with a full ride to Hopkins.
Hi mannywood, what kind of ride to you have to hopkins? i got into hopkins as well and am trying to figure out funding sources, would be super helpful if you could offer any advice.

Hi mannywood, what kind of ride to you have to hopkins? i got into hopkins as well and am trying to figure out funding sources, would be super helpful if you could offer any advice.

Unfortunately I don't have much advice. I was awarded a sommer scholarship.

Just got two emails from Harvard notifying me that I could log in to view my decision...unfortunatly I didnt get in - but I am pleased with my other options - Good luck everyone!

Mannywood, congrats! But when were you notified of the Sommers scholarship?

Kaquinn, Sorry to hear that. I am also applying MS in GHP and My status has changed yesterday... So, I guess I have to be ready for being executed.... My heart is beating fast. very nervous.
I knew there was slim possibility, but my hope was big.
Good experience background, bad GRE Q part. This is only school I've applied. Glad you have other option.
I am international, by the way.

Many of you guys say that you got the rejection/acceptance the day after the status screen had changed. yesterday, my status changed, but no result today....why???? executing day will be postponed? not happy, stressfull:scared:⇒I've got the rejection. Thank you all for encouragement, your posted comment made me feel there are many feel same way.. Good luck for your academic study from summer!

Last edited:
I was accepted into the SM2 epi program and for the past two weeks the financial aid (all loans and a little work study) was weighing heavily on my mind. So I finally called the financial aid office and they told me that the departments are still figuring out financial awards. I believe someone already posted this in the forum, but they said that department funding should be announced by march 30th. While my hopes aren't high, at least there's still a small possibility! Oh, pharmaPH, I'm also going to the April 3rd open house, I wonder how many people are going to be there...

I am also going to the April 3rd open house. I just bought my tickets to fly out. I am very excited! But I have a question. I received the online acceptance letter and it said that they would be sending a hard copy letter to my house but I have yet to receive it. Has anybody else received their hard copy letter?

I am also going to the April 3rd open house. I just bought my tickets to fly out. I am very excited! But I have a question. I received the online acceptance letter and it said that they would be sending a hard copy letter to my house but I have yet to receive it. Has anybody else received their hard copy letter?

I haven't received my hard copy letter either.

I haven't received a hard copy either. Looking forward to the open house!

Okay, I was starting to worry about the mysterious official letter that has yet to arrive. If someone receives one, give the rest of us a heads up :)

Hello guys,

you might want to join the group HSPH 2009 entering class on facebook. That will help us to knw more abt the school, fin aid etc.

Good Luck Guys!!

I logged onto the applicant webpage, and saw that my admission letter has disappeared, although my financial aid letter is still there. I also got an e-mail back from the admin coordinator acknowledging the receipt of my deposit check and confirming a spot in the upcoming class, but I'm still a little worried about the loss of the electronic admission letter.

Has this happened to anyone else?

No news of scholarships :(.

Is anyone thinking of deferring?

No news of scholarships either :(

I just spoke to the department, and they said hard copies of admission letters were mailed out at the end of last week. Also, they said that several people had reported that the electronic versions had been taken down, but they would try to put them back.

No scholarship news for me either :(
I'm not sure what to do:
say no and go to another school where I am getting aid
defer and lose on the school where I am getting aid as well
take out loans

any thoughts? anyone else cosnidering other schools apart from harvard?

I guess it all just comes down to how much debt you're willing/able to take on.

Does anyone know/heard of anyone who got scholarships? Am curious to know where all of em disappeared to! :) It's really hard to say NO to a school like Harvard. Am pretty sure whatever debt we get into will be worth it in the long run.

Ironmaiden, i want to ask for your opinion. Do you think a printed copy of our electronic letter would be acceptable to an international scholarship body?I had to submit that since i had not received the hard copy&deadline was close. I'm worried stiff it might not be suitable. Wat do u think?

I think scholarships at HSPH are few and far in between, especially for MPH/MS. There seem to be only a few schools that give out a halfway decent number of scholarships, like a lot of people who got into UofM or BU have gotten merit awards.

Bizzle, I think that an electronic copy should be fine. If it isn't, HSPH themselves could probably send a hard copy on your behalf to the scholarship peeps. The admissions people have been incredibly helpful!

I've been accepted to the SM program in the Department of Society, Human Development, and Health at Harvard, as well as to several MPH programs elsewhere and am trying to figure out the pluses and minuses of having an SM versus an MPH. Is anyone else making a similar decision/could anyone shed some light on this situation?

thanks!!!

Accepted in MPH program (health policy and management) and awarded ~10k financial aid.
But I'm afraid I would reject this opportunity, since I do not see it could actually help on my career development, especially under current situation.
BTW. I'm an international student.

Smug,u got 10k as an international?Thats nice.But on what basis?I wish I could get that :) Why do u think attending Harvard will not benefit you? Do you have other options?I wish you all the best

I got a 9k grant from HSPH, but I am thinking of deferring. Does anyone know if it is possible to defer grants as well?

Congrats on the scholarships...not sure if you can defer them though.

Did you get an email from the dept about funding/scholarships? I have gotten nothing from Harvard and so just wondering.....

i didnt get any grants. zahazie when were u notified?

zahazie and smug if you could let us know how/when you were notified about aid that would be great.

Any international students visiting harvard on friday?

I received an email on March 30 about the scholarship and received a letter on Tuesday 31 (sent on March 26).

I am an international student, so I will not be able to visit Harvard on Friday, but I look forward to hearing other people's opinions.

Any chance you all can post some stats, just for my own curiosity?