Harvard secondary essay text box issues, please help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lawnboy313

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here know how to insert a line break into the essay that college grads need to write for Harvard? It automatically deletes line breaks separating paragraphs when I move on to the next page of the online application, and I can't figure out a way to make it look as pretty as it should. Thanks! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

There is an essay???

I can't even remember if I filled it out. What's the essay about?

I guess if it deletes line breaks, they don't want too long of a response since they're expecting only a paragraph.

Midn...no essay for new pathways. Don't sweat it.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is an essay???

I can't even remember if I filled it out. What's the essay about?

I guess if it deletes line breaks, they don't want too long of a response since they're expecting only a paragraph.
Yeah, there's an essay if you've graduated college. Since I graduated 6 years ago and have done lots of stuff since, it's a little hard to compress everything I've done into a little paragraph.

They put a 4000 character limit on it--even a 2000 character paragraph would be a long damn paragraph. Hence why I'm trying to figure out the line break thing.

Midn...no essay for new pathways. Don't sweat it.
Not quite...its for New Pathways, but only if you've already graduated:

If you have already graduated, briefly (4000 characters max) summarize your activities since graduation.

Not quite...its for New Pathways, but only if you've already graduated:

If you have already graduated, briefly (4000 characters max) summarize your activities since graduation.

Odd that they give you a 4000 character limit but no line breaks. Be as succinct as possible, and make your transitions obvious to compensate for the lack of visual breaks.

Odd that they give you a 4000 character limit but no line breaks. Be as succinct as possible, and make your transitions obvious to compensate for the lack of visual breaks.
Thanks...I guess that's what I'll have to do, unless there are any compsci masters on here who know a special trick around the automatic formatting. :)

Good luck with your interview!

Thanks...I guess that's what I'll have to do, unless there are any compsci masters on here who know a special trick around the automatic formatting. :)

Good luck with your interview!

you can try inserting "emtpy" characters
they are not spaces you create by pressing a space bar
(but I forgot how to create them lol search google)

you can try inserting "emtpy" characters
they are not spaces you create by pressing a space bar
(but I forgot how to create them lol search google)

Heh, I wouldn't try to get around their lack of line breaks; it could backfire.

Thanks for the well wishes lawnboy! Best of luck getting an interview.

If I'm remembering right, they leave one carriage return in to end the paragraph, but take out the second where you're trying to put in a blank line between paragraphs, right?

I think what I did was break my essay into paragraphs, using a few spaces to indent the beginning of each paragraph.

I agree that 4000 characters is long enough that you don't necessarily want to limit yourself to one big paragraph, especially if, like me, you want to talk about what you've done in terms of different aspects of your life, career, and whatever. I did something like one paragraph for work, one for ECs, and one for my family/home life - where multiple paragraphs really clarified my points.