leahmaria

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
1,017
0
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
So, I'm interested in the MD/MPH at Harvard, but I'm not currently applying for the MPH program. Do you think that I'd have a better chance if was cocurrently applying instead of waiting to applying for mph program after being accepted at harvard if md/mph is what i intend on doing?

also, it sounds to me like the gre is required...you can use your mcat score once you're a practicing doctor? what do you all know about this?

one more thing--it sounds like the mph work wouldn't start until after the third year of medical school anyways, so i could always apply during medical school (this is all assuming i get into harvard, which i know is a long shot)...anyways, would applying cocurrently help my chances?
 

sara3426

Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2006
277
0
Status
Pre-Medical
i think they consider them separately so it doesn't make much of a difference.
but on that note, WHERE THE HELL is the harvard secondary? i got the email, went to their website, can't find it... is it out already?
 

dottore07

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2006
127
0
Status
Pre-Medical
leahmaria said:
So, I'm interested in the MD/MPH at Harvard, but I'm not currently applying for the MPH program. Do you think that I'd have a better chance if was cocurrently applying instead of waiting to applying for mph program after being accepted at harvard if md/mph is what i intend on doing?

also, it sounds to me like the gre is required...you can use your mcat score once you're a practicing doctor? what do you all know about this?

one more thing--it sounds like the mph work wouldn't start until after the third year of medical school anyways, so i could always apply during medical school (this is all assuming i get into harvard, which i know is a long shot)...anyways, would applying cocurrently help my chances?
I'm also applying to joint MD/MPH programs - everything I've read says that they consider the admissions decisions separately. I'm also pretty certain that you can use your MCAT score in place of the GRE. I'm currently planning on doing the joint app now for Harvard, but a lot will depend on how involved the MPH application is once it is posted.
 
About the Ads
OP
L

leahmaria

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
1,017
0
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
dottore07 said:
I'm also applying to joint MD/MPH programs - everything I've read says that they consider the admissions decisions separately. I'm also pretty certain that you can use your MCAT score in place of the GRE. I'm currently planning on doing the joint app now for Harvard, but a lot will depend on how involved the MPH application is once it is posted.

So its not even posted...
 
OP
L

leahmaria

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
1,017
0
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
sara3426 said:
i think they consider them separately so it doesn't make much of a difference.
but on that note, WHERE THE HELL is the harvard secondary? i got the email, went to their website, can't find it... is it out already?
you need to open the attachment and the link is in there
 

dottore07

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2006
127
0
Status
Pre-Medical
leahmaria said:
So its not even posted...

The graduate school app is not from what I can tell (I tried to login to the public health application page and it just had stuff from last year) - on another note, I did notice that it is an additional $60 to do the graduate school app, which I personally think is a bit steep, especially when I'm only applying to the Harvard MD program on a prayer. I think I might reconsider and just apply MD for now and then add the MPH later once I know which school I am going to.
 

Looque

Bob Loblaw
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2006
726
1
35
Hyde Park, Chicago
Status
Medical Student
I actually called Harvard's admissions office just yesterday about this issue, since I'm interested in either an MPH or MPP in conjunction with the obvious MD. The admissions officer to whom I spoke made it very clear that whether or not you're applying to a joint program has zero bearing on your admissions to the medical school, and that most people there who do the MD/MPH or MD/MPP apply to the second program only after they begin medical school.

Regarding their MPH application, it now operates through an AMCAS-like process at sophas.org. The MPP application is not yet available. Given all of this, I just elected to submit my Harvard secondary without checking any of the joint degree boxes, despite my interest. I made my intentions clear in my personal statement anyway.
 

kazbegi

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2006
24
0
Status
Pre-Medical
I'd like to get some advice on this matter from you all... On the AMCAS application, they give you the option to check other degrees in which you're interest in pursuing in addition to the MD (MPP, MPH, PhD etc). I checked the MPH for Harvard. So given that they can see that I checked MD/MPH, would it look bad to not check MPH on the secondary application and not fill out the added essay? I can see that as appearing a bit contradictory perhaps. Thoughts?
 
OP
L

leahmaria

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
1,017
0
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
I'd like to get some advice on this matter from you all... On the AMCAS application, they give you the option to check other degrees in which you're interest in pursuing in addition to the MD (MPP, MPH, PhD etc). I checked the MPH for Harvard. So given that they can see that I checked MD/MPH, would it look bad to not check MPH on the secondary application and not fill out the added essay? I can see that as appearing a bit contradictory perhaps. Thoughts?
I think you'd only check the MPH on the Haravard secondary if you are cocurrently applying MD and MPH...which almost seems like thats not the way it works as you do your MPH during a year off at a later time??

Anyways, I think you'd be okay not checking it.
 

benkev68

10+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2006
49
0
San Francisco
Status
Pre-Medical
So, i received a email from harvard (after sub. amcas) that said it was not the secondary, but what might be on there. Anyone gotten the actual secondary yet? Is this the secondary?
 

kazbegi

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2006
24
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Open the attachment they sent you, and there should be the web address somewhere in the instructions on where to access the 'real' online secondary.
 
About the Ads