Harvard Update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacchus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just downloaded this from <a href="http://application.hms.harvard.edu/" target="_blank">http://application.hms.harvard.edu/</a>

A Message from the HMS Admissions Office:

Thank you for your interest in Harvard Medical School. Due to the on-going implementation of the new AMCAS-2002 system, this has been an extremely challenging year for all of us - our applicant pool, the admissions staff and committee members, and our AMCAS colleagues at the AAMC. We want to assure you that we will be as flexible as possible to ensure that your HMS application will not be penalized in any way for any circumstances beyond your control.

We are firmly committed to giving each of our applicants full consideration for admission to HMS. We will not fill any of the seats in our 2002 entering class until the full applicant pool has been reviewed and all interviews have been conducted. All of our final decision letters will be mailed on a single date, which we are currently projecting to be sometime in mid-March of 2002. We are reading applications on an ongoing basis, and hope to have all files reviewed by mid-January.

Our secondary application deadline has been extended to December 1st. Due to the unique problems surrounding this year's application cycle, we may be able to grant extensions for extenuating circumstances. Please contact the Admissions Office at (617) 432-1550 for further details.

We are currently working to clear a backlog of letters of evaluation waiting to be matched to application files. The backlog includes all letters received since October 15; we expect to have them all matched by December 1. Because we have not been able to give you timely information about the status of your letters, we will be very flexible about our letter of evaluation deadline this year, particularly if a missing letter needs to be re-sent.

We are also having difficulty generating the status update letters and e-mail messages mentioned in the HMS Admissions Bulletin; our interactive application status lookup web site is also unavailable. At this time, the best way to check on the status of your application is to contact the Admissions Office via e-mail at [email protected]. Please avoid checking your status by telephone if at all possible; this will help our staff to process your applications and letters more quickly.

We share your frustration with this situation, and are working to rectify it as quickly as we can. Your application to Harvard is very important to us, and rest assured it will be given a thorough review. Feel free to contact us with any urgent concerns.

Admissions Office
Harvard Medical School
25 Shattuck Street
Boston, MA 02115-6092
[email protected]
617/432-1550
617/432-3307 FAX
<a href="http://www.hms.harvard.edu/admissions" target="_blank">www.hms.harvard.edu/admissions</a>

Members don't see this ad.

I still don't have access to their secondary!! And I have been verified for almost a month now... Go figure.

I've sent them an email. Hopefully for those of us who don't have access to their secondary yet, there will be some kind of extension. Does anybody know how much detail is required in their secondary? Or what they require for letters of reference?

The secondary is totally chill from what I remember -- no essays.

Members don't see this ad :)
2 pages, no essays, are your parents, you, H alumni, which pathway are you applying for, etc. 15 minute application!!!!!!

Good stuff... I've written too many essays lately - I'm really getting sick of it.

I guess I don't need to get too worked up about this one just yet. As long as I can get to it by Friday... ;)

What's the deal with getting recs from all your research experiences? Are they (Harvard) for real? I don't even know how to get in touch with some of mine, and it's all explained in my premed advisor's letter. I didn't submit becasue of that anyone else have this problem?

are all research recs required for regular MD, or just MD/PHD?

bump...Anyone know?

The researcher's letter of rec is also the hurdle I'm not sure I'm going to get over. This is annoying because I didn't know about this until AFTER I paid for the secondary.
Maybe since I haven't published anything they'll let me slip.. or not :) I'll call their office to see if they've even looked at my app yet.

are you guys applying for MD/PHD or just MD?

So Harvard received the packet of letters from USF and has my file 'complete'. Cool, guess I didn't need the researcher's letters after all. Maybe the requirement is more stringent for those that were gung ho about research and look to do some seriously in the future.
In case you're interested, my 6 letters were: 4 academic (2 USF 2 oxford brookes) 1 undergraduate dean 1 honors program director.

while I was at it, I called Northwestern to see why nothing had been updated on the page for 2 months. It seemed they didn't receive the first or second mailing of my letters of rec, so they extended my deadline and attempt #3 will be out today.

I'm a regular MD applicant. I'm going to call admissions and try to get a definite answer about the recs before I give them my money. I really don't know why they would care so much if you're not MD/PhD. I know I can get a letter for two out of three experiences but one of them is way too long ago.

At least Harvard is decent enough to review all files before accepting people. I am impressed. More than we can say for lots of other schools...

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be really interested in hearing what the result is on that rec thing---

My letters did NOT include my thesis advisor's letter mainly because he was an a**hole and I really didn't want him having any input on where I would go to medical school. I applied, paid my $$ and I never saw that disclaimer. It would seem ridiculous to impose that restriction on non MSTP or HST applicants.

PLEASE let us know!

Just got off the phone with Harvard. Regardless of what you're applying for (New Pathway, MSTP, etc.) EVERYONE must submit recs from EVERY research experience. For those of you whose apps are complete (and you didn't follow their directions on this), perhaps they didn't throroughly examine your letters yet and haven't realized that some are missing. Or maybe they're just ignoring the rule. But what I was told by Harvard is we're supposed to get all these letters.
Anyway, I don't think I can get my letters in time so I'm not going to do it. I don't want to waste my money. Argh...I was so happy my school wrote a committee letter so I didn't have to deal with things like this. Unfortunately the committee has all the original letters....

Originally posted by serpiente:
•Just got off the phone with Harvard. Regardless of what you're applying for (New Pathway, MSTP, etc.) EVERYONE must submit recs from EVERY research experience. For those of you whose apps are complete (and you didn't follow their directions on this), perhaps they didn't throroughly examine your letters yet and haven't realized that some are missing. Or maybe they're just ignoring the rule. But what I was told by Harvard is we're supposed to get all these letters.
Anyway, I don't think I can get my letters in time so I'm not going to do it. I don't want to waste my money. Argh...I was so happy my school wrote a committee letter so I didn't have to deal with things like this. Unfortunately the committee has all the original letters....•••

Hi Serpiente: Are you saying that Harvard wants research recs in addition to the committee letter? Is having those research letters be incorporated into the committee letter good enough?

I'm not sure, but the way they made it sound was that they should be separate, from the research director. Does anyone else know what the deal is? I might call them back and ask if the committee letter is sufficient, but I have a feeling that it won't be. Has anyone else called? I'm not sure if the person I spoke to knew what he was talking about it.

I would just complete the application if I were all of you.

Where does it say anything about the required research recommendation anyway?

I think they don't want a committee letter. I really don't understand why schools do committee letters. I much prefer the letter services where they just collect and send your letters for you. Most med schools seem to prefer it too. You might want to see if your school could send the original letters instead of the committee letter, at least for Harvard.

Good luck,

Adam

I was thinking that too, but I doubt my school would send the original letters; I don't know if photocopies would be okay because they wouldn't have the original signature. And Incendiary, maybe you have the money to waste, but I certainly don't. I literally can't spare the application fee. If I can't meet a school's requirements. I'm not applying.

Has anyone heard conclusively whether recs from all research PIS need to be submitted?

does anybody have the link to HMS's status check?
i can't seem to locate anywhere.

They don't have it ready yet. I wouldn't hold my breath... I think they're pretty disorganized this year. Like everyone else.