Harvard versus Yale - which should I choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tBw

totally deluded
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
:laugh:

Just kidding!! ;) but you know that these are the types of threads that are coming next....

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

oh u basterd... I was gon smack u.... maybe I will... <SMACK>

That was a good one...can't wait till they really start rolling in.

Members don't see this ad :)
well don't you think it's a valid concern to someone who really has to make a decision between harvard or yale?

I don't think it's a major concern; they're both prestigious schools, and two schools to choose between means that you can flip a coin. My problem is significantly worse... I'm trying to decided between Stanford, Yale and Harvard and I can't find a three sided coin...

Sure it's a valid concern. But...out of all the people that might have to make that decision, who do you think would make a post like that purely on the basis of a desire for assistance in making that decision? Such a post would be 95% ego, 5% legitimate request for help. Don't ask me to prove it...it's just something we all know through experience and common sense (just look at all the previous posts on this thread). Are you really willing to stick your neck out and say that it's a bad stereotype because of the one person in 1,000 that might really want help with the Harvard/Yale decision?

One other question--if someone really wanted to decide between the two, and they were smart enough to get into both schools, do you think they wouldn't be able to find some source of information other than a bunch of premeds who have neither attended a medical school or been to either campus?:cool:

Originally posted by coldchemist

One other question--if someone really wanted to decide between the two, and they were smart enough to get into both schools, do you think they wouldn't be able to find some source of information other than a bunch of premeds who have neither attended a medical school or been to either campus?:cool:

do you mean to say that premeds who have to make a decision between two less prestigious schools aren't smart enough to have other sources? let alone smart enough to have the stats (among other things) to get into harvard/yale...

and however do i manage your assumption that we're a buncha premeds who haven't visited their campuses

Originally posted by Meridian
do you mean to say that premeds who have to make a decision between two less prestigious schools aren't smart enough to have other sources? let alone smart enough to have the stats (among other things) to get into harvard/yale...

and however do i manage your assumption that we're a buncha premeds who haven't visited their campuses

No...that's not what I meant to say at all. I was merely pointing out that Harvard/Yale acceptees are probably the best and the brightest on SDN--and when you're the best and the brightest it's sometimes difficult to maintain a degree of humility.

And my assumption is only that a large majority of the SDN premeds (all premeds, for that matter) have not visited either campus. Again...common sense.

I totally agree with coldchemist. And come on, let's be realistic. Those Harvard/Yale/Columbia "problems" and those "I have a 3.98 and a 36 on the MCAT, but I was making 38's on the practice tests; should I retake?" posts are very egoistic. So let's call it what it is. If someone has a problem choosing between two state schools or a state school and a private school, that's fine. But friggin' HARVARD and YALE!? Call it what it is. No need to patronize anyone.

i knew this was a BS thread.
ummm come on guys - Yale's med school is nowhere near as good as Harvards. :D if this were a real thread i would slap the OP too - but only for being stupid.
now the real question is Harvard or Hopkins?
can anyone help?
lol :p :rolleyes:

kind of like that girl a while back who wanted to know whether adcoms know what a Fulbright is? could be a legit question, but....

What is a fulbright, I know its like a grant or scholarship, but whats so special about it?

and what is an adcom? I've heard of them but everyone seems to talk like they are god or something, whats so special..? ;)

ok, fine, mock me because i know nothing. i don't know how you sleep at night.

oops, sorry moskeeto - i honestly thought you were joking :( ...not that you *should* know what a fullbright is -

http://www.iie.org/TemplateFulbright.cfm?section=Fulbright1

they're just pretty prestigious scholarships for advanced work, mostly abroad

from their site:

The Fulbright Program was established in 1946, at the end of World War II, to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and other countries, through the exchange of persons, knowledge, and skills. Its primary source of funding is an annual appropriation made by the United States Department of State. Participating governments and host institutions also contribute financial support through direct cost-sharing, as well as through tuition waivers, university housing, and other benefits.

Grants are made to citizens of participating countries, primarily for:

* university teaching;
* advanced research;
* graduate study; and
* teaching in elementary and secondary schools.

Originally posted by Moskeeto
ok, fine, mock me because i know nothing. i don't know how you sleep at night.
That's funny cuz I don't know either, I've heard of it like I've heard of that other one, what was it called rhodes scholar or something. But I have know idea of what these awards actually entail. I guess I'm just an ignorant a$$, who grew up in da hood of LBC ya later.

Originally posted by the boy wonder
oops, sorry moskeeto - i honestly thought you were joking

yeah, i reread my post and i can see that. thanks for the info tho. even funnier is that i think at one time i remember reading adcom and thinking to myself "what the hell is that." ahhhh, to be that pure and innocent again....

p.s. this is from someone who was absolutey thrilled to figure out what "bump" meant all by myself.

if it's anything, I like your sn Moskeeto, and ur avatar's cute ;)

I think OP should accept slots at Yale and Harvard, and earn the coveted duel MD/MD degree. Communting back and forth between campuses would be a blast. . . Why choose just one school? :p

On a semi-serious note though.... I'd, hypothetically, definitately choose Yale! Sure it's rankings are a bit low now... what 9? But that will change soon with all thier developments... besides... in the real world there is no difference.. they're both "ivy league" schools. What if you go into an MD/JD program? yale has much more widely recognized law school... so, hehe, keep your mind open. Yale all the way... too many snobs at harvard... not a good learning environment