Sparky Man

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2004
Status
Medical Student
I'm on it. Hopefully it's not purgatory for too long.

akimbo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2004
nunya
Status
Sparky Man said:
I'm on it. Hopefully it's not purgatory for too long.
I hope you get in soon. I like to picture Cheech Marin going to HMS. :D

(But seriously, good luck! :luck: )

Haybrant

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2004
Status
just curious, is there a reason someone would turn down going to harvard? i mean if there are certain factors that would prohibit someone from attending (location, $) i would just assume they wouldnt have applied in the first place. Hopefully itll move for you, just not sure i understand why someone would decline

CarleneM

patent pending
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2004
Watertown, MA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Haybrant said:
just curious, is there a reason someone would turn down going to harvard? i mean if there are certain factors that would prohibit someone from attending (location, $) i would just assume they wouldnt have applied in the first place. Hopefully itll move for you, just not sure i understand why someone would decline
For me, Harvard is great because it is a top school that allows me to stay in boston, where my friends and family are. However, after visiting other top 10 schools I can definitely see reasons people would turn it down. For example, hopkins and penn are very appealing in that you only spend 1.5 years doing lectures/pbl stuff and then start your clerkships midway through your sophomore year. That's pretty awesome, I think. Also, for me Yale would be great because it has a lot of child psychiatry things that other schools do not offer. I'm going to harvard most definitely but if I wasn't such a homebody I would entertain the idea of going to another school. Oh also, duke and penn are two top schools that give some full merit scholarships. If you got one of those, you may go there over Harvard. I think about 2/3rds of the initial acceptees accept the offer and matriculate but that leaves 1/3 who choose to go elsewhere.

OP
Sparky Man

Sparky Man

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Haybrant said:
Well, last year 250 were accepted and 165 enrolled. So clearly some people choose another school over Harvard. I don't think the waitlist is hopeless.