1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Has acceptance into a dental school changed your life?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by TO-boy, May 3, 2004.

1. TO-boy

TO-boy Member
    7+ Year Member

For me, it's a sense of relief that I'm going to be something in about 4 years. It took me so long to decide what to do with my life, I'm happy I chose something I'm going to enjoy doing and NOT cause my parents wanted me to pursue (i.e medicine :eek: )......

My family says I seem happier, now that I know I'm going into dental school.. :D

I know dental school is going to change our lives....but after acceptance have u changed????

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. akathisia

akathisia gait plagerist
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    TOTALLY!!!
    Receiving my acceptance has allowed me to breathe a huge sigh of relief. Since that glorious day I have lived each and every day to it's fullest. Finally having the elusive professional school/graduate door open for me has allowed me to breath much easier, slow down and smell the roses (so to speak), but most of all RELAX!!! I've been struggling so hard for so long with absolutely no guarantee of what my future might hold, I've had little choice but to keep my head down and focused on the tasks at hand. Now, finally, I have the time to do the things I've had to postpone due to time and money restrictions. To be honest, my whole life has turned around since my acceptance. Life's been GREAT!!! I'm really enjoying my time right now because I know soon I'll be back to busting my bu**! :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dentin068

Dentin068 Member
    5+ Year Member

Obviously, its a huge load of my shoulders. To know that you finally have a direction in life that will not let you down is a huge relief!

4. LetMeIn

LetMeIn Member
    7+ Year Member

Hellz Yeah! In ways words cannot describe :D

5. sxr71

sxr71 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Not really, anxiety to get in/choose (to) a school has transformed into anxiety to start school (or at least anxiety to embark on my vacation). I'm never satisfied.

6. PERFECT3435

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    oh god yes. everyone around me and myself notice a big change in my personality.

i feel like Bob (in those commercials advertising pills for male enhancement....) who has a happy partner at home :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

7. Dr.BadVibes

Dr.BadVibes Membership Revoked
    Removed

It hasnt changed my life, but as dentin said, its a nice feeling to know that Ill have a career and that in 4 years, I'll be a yuppie :D

And its also nice to know that Ill be financially secure during my life, meaning that now I can spoil myself with stuff like electronics, travelling, etc. Before, I couldnt rationalize myself to buy expensive toys not knowing if I was gonna be anything in the future

8. Woodsy

Woodsy S-D-N Blue Blood
    7+ Year Member

I am relieved that I didn't waste the last 4 years of my undergrad and that all my schemes and sacrifices have paid off. For those wondering, I have not made my decision just yet and I won't make it till the end of July/ Early August. The two schools are just too good to let go, both with good advantages and disadvantages. Going back to the topic, it does feel good and I have been able to sleep at night..Now I have other things to worry about heheeh.. Always the worry wart...It does allow me to relax about school and enjoy this summer. I'm just focusing on my training, partying, spending time with the gf, and enjoying good food.

9. The dresser MD

The dresser MD Membership Revoked
    Removed

stay in canada...we don't want you here.

10. Woodsy

Woodsy S-D-N Blue Blood
    7+ Year Member

I hope you don't really mean that because you do realize that whether you like it or not, regardless of where I go to school, I will probably do my residency in the US. If in fact you aren't joking, it is really disappointing because it shows how narrow-minded and ignorant you are. You do not represent the views of the majority of American people I hope because your comments bring all Americans down. You are like the rotten apple in a basket of good ones. Now if I really cared what you had to say, I'd PURPOSELY go to the US just to spite you. But of course you're nothing but a member of this forum. An unknown, nothing more than just fragments of code. Like i'd really listen to you.

You know what would be even more funny is that the school that accepts this unwanted Canadian actually rejects you, a person who is supposedly this patriotic American. How ironic would that be? Who doesn't want who? hehe....

11. LibertyB

LibertyB BusyBee
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Being that dentistry is my second career, my life has basically turned upside-down. We just signed a contract with a realtor to sell our home. My husband has begun the tiresome task of applying for a new job. We have to figure out how to downsize our three bedroom home into something that would fit in a studio apt.

All of my friends are SOOOOO excited for me. Both our families are like "we'll see you at Christmas."

We have so much ahead of us in the next three months... :eek:

12. aphistis

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Dentist
    Don't go too overboard, avin! The best lifestyle advice I got for dental school went something like: If you live like a dentist when you're a student, you'll end up living like a student when you're a dentist. ;)

13. aileen

aileen Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

sxr71, i feel the exact same way you do.

14. The dresser MD

Removed

As if I really want to freeze my ass off up north. Great logic dude :thumbup:

And if you really didn't care about what I said, you would not have responded

douchebag :laugh:

15. Adzam

Adzam Member
    7+ Year Member

W/O a doubt....being able to move to the greatest city in the world and changing my pivot will a once in a life time thing..........MAZ

16. Dr.BadVibes

Dr.BadVibes Membership Revoked
    Removed

Cmon Bill...a nice digital camera and mp3 player didnt hurt anyone :cool:

17. Woodsy

Woodsy S-D-N Blue Blood
    7+ Year Member

With every message, Dresser MD shows how stupid he/she/it is. Go back in the closet, no one wants you to come out, like you did :laugh:

18. The dresser MD

Removed

Coming out of the closet? :laugh: Typical Canadian backlash. Oh yeah, blame canada :thumbup:

Douchebag

19. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Private Investigator
    7+ Year Member

Yes. Quite literally, there now lies 500 miles between me and my former life. And I don't necessarily mean that in a negative way. For instance, most of my friends in New York don't even know what a hush puppie is.

20. Thaxil

Thaxil Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I do not think is has change my life at this point. It has change my outlook on the future. Before, my future was uncertain and disappointing, and now it has all turned a round. When times are tough, the boss is being a D!ck and money is short, I always think of how these thing will be no long a problem when I am a dentist. My life will be changed once I become a practicing dentist and realize what I have been working so hard for. But, yes I do seem to have a bounce in my step now.

21. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

can I get a "HELL" before the "Yeah"? :)

I know it will change my life even though I am not starting a dental school this fall.

Once you apply to D-schools and get into the whole process; getting interviews, taking your DAT's, etc... it's already changes taking place in your life.

22. Dool

Dool Member
    10+ Year Member

Getting in dental school may change many people and hopefully for the better, however please remember to avoid getting your "head stuck up your ass". Remember why your becoming a dentist, ( no not the money!), those other lofty ideals.

just my two cents

PS : Please don't Pm me or give some long sad tale telling me how WRONG i am. q