Has Any Class Ever Made You Think "Oh God, What if That Happens to Me!"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JackD

-
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Of course any of the conditions that we learn about diagnosing and treating are not things that we want but have you ever learned about something in school that actually freaked you out and made you actually concerned about this thing happening to you?

The one class that has actually freaked me out is a radiology class where we talked about trauma, which i am in right now. The sections about spine and pelvic trauma have actually given me nightmares and I am too afraid to drive faster than 15mph now. After years in med school, I have finally been shaken by the prospect of one of these things i am learning about actually happening to me. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

medical students' disease

Almost certainly but still, the when my professor talked about "straddle fractures with bladder destruction" that got to me.

Ebola.

Or having a child with anything we studied in embryology.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'd think that an erection lasting four hours or longer would make you DA MAN! But clearly it doesn't. :(

3 hours and 55 minutes: Awwwwwwwww yeah.
4 hours and 1 minute: O NOES!

But to get back on topic: I'd say Osteogensis Imperfecta if we're including genetic stuff. If we're talking acquired, probably something psych, like refractory schizophrenia.

Of course any of the conditions that we learn about diagnosing and treating are not things that we want but have you ever learned about something in school that actually freaked you out and made you actually concerned about this thing happening to you?

The one class that has actually freaked me out is a radiology class where we talked about trauma, which i am in right now. The sections about spine and pelvic trauma have actually given me nightmares and I am too afraid to drive faster than 15mph now. After years in med school, I have finally been shaken by the prospect of one of these things i am learning about actually happening to me. :scared:

Anatomy Lab. :scared:

That could be you..... But only, you know, if you donate your body to science...or get murdered and an autopsy is required of you. You know, pleasant things like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not really a disease that freaks me out yet, but angiograms freak me the **** out. Seeing those spindly things weaving and woving all over the brain freaks me the **** out.

I have nightmares about locked in syndrome. :scared:

QFT.

I mean, seriously...yes broken genitalia are a problem, sad even, but Locked In Syndrome? Saw it once during medical school and I will never forget the look in that guy's eyes.

Someone please pull the plug on me if that ever happens.

That's straight up terrifying. I literally can't think of anything worse. :scared:

I usually worry about my wife getting one of these crazy diseases more than me.

Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy and paraseptal emphysema

... You just die.

Well, the latter has a better chance since it's a PT. But seriously. A normal, healthy male just dropping? :scared:

Well...
Talk about ****ty circumstances. Upper classmate that I know was on vacation with his wife and randomly had an aortic dissection. Perfectly healthy guy and now he's in ICU and it's looking grim. :(

Not from class, but I had a friend from Africa who had a pork tapeworm. He had no idea and woke up one night with partial paralysis. Docs thought it was a brain tumor. They ended up doing surgery and found out that it was a cyst from the eggs of an intestinal tapeworm.

Real nasty. Common in developing countries.

I would freak out if I had something like that and I'm not sure I could ever psychologically recover. All of the parastes scare me.

Google neurocysticercosis

Then there is always the mother of all nightmares:

Fornier's Gangrene

Last edited:
Saw a patient with Ludwig's angina yesterday....crazy!!!

Pregnancy seems horrifying.

That's the only one I've had nightmares about. Some people think I'm a sicko for this but I made my screen saver a collection of pathologies we study...I've been doing it since the beginning...but I try to find small children with the pathology because a 2 year old with ptosis is just so much cuter.

My favorite is a little baby with osteogenesis imperfecta congenita.

OP: I haven't gotten scared of getting something but I definitely overreacted for awhile - like being careful not to compress superficial nerves and shifting positions to make sure I don't stress certain ligaments, silly things like that. Our brains are just working out all this wild info. Drive carefully :p