has any one with low GRE scores got admitted into top universities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

venureddy82

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi , i got gre scores of 1100 (v 370, A 730, awa 3.0) .
has any student with similar scores got admitted into top universities?if so can you post your scores?
i want to apply to good univ next year. so far i heard of about only one student with a score of 1060 being admitted to columbia univ.
i know that gre scores alone are not the criteria for admission , but as far as i am concerned it is my only drawback, all the rest of my application is good.

Members don't see this ad.

why don't u rewrite?

why don't u rewrite?

I am currently preparing for USMLE. I don't want to spend any more time on GRE. I just want to know how imp. is GRE for getting admitted in MPH program in good universities.

this year i got admitted into
  1. univ of mass,Amherst ( with tuition wavier)
  2. univ of Alabama, Birmingham
  3. univ of Illinois, Chicago

rejected
  1. brown
  2. suny albany

I will deffer my admission to next year and complete off my USMLE steps, so that i can spend good time in research work while doing MPH.

I want to do MPH program because , I being an international student , MPH give me an insight into American system of education . And i want to use this MPH experience later on when i apply for residency. I heard that this experience will be most useful when we appear for interviews.

Are these the only univ. that i can get into, with my scores or there are any better ranked univ that i can apply for in the next year?
Are my views right? Please do comment.

Members don't see this ad :)
I scored 1100 - (540Q and 560V) and got into Yale.

Hi Venureddy,

First of all, the three choices you mentioned are all reasonably good public health schools. However, if your interest is primarily in learning the U.S. system and improving your profile for residency, that may not be of great interest to you compared to the name. (At least, I think this is what you are saying?)

In general, the GRE is not as important as other aspects of your application. However, you should be aware that many schools take a close look at the written English skills of foreign applicants, since this is something that really can affect your academic progress. On this count, they may be concerned about your low verbal and AWA scores on the GRE. Have you passed the TOEFL with a qualifying score for the schools in which you are interested?

The best way to overcome the low GRE verbal scores is to write a very strong statement of interest - one that both demonstrates your command of the language and suggests that public health will be an integral part of your future work (i.e., that the MPH isn't just "for show"). If you can correspond or speak with selected professors individually, or chat with admissions people, that can also demonstrate your interest (and comfort with academic English).

Unless you have some reason to believe that your performance on the GRE was unrepresentative of your skills, or you will have time to do additional studying/preparation, there is probably no good reason to take it again.

Hope this helps.

i agree with namazu, i had decent GRE scores (1200) and I was admitted to the University of Michigan. I talked to admissions and professors at UMich before I even submitted an application and I believe that's what helped push my application through. Also I didn't have a spectacular GPA, but I was able to ofset this with great extracirricular and work experience and excellent Letters of Recs...so I suggest you talk to faculty members you're intrested in working with and that could be a way to push yourself through to top schools.

THANK YOU namazu, AndrewJ42, and Maiden
I hope some students like you can help me next year when i apply for schools like yale.
I particularly thank namazu , you are the guy who guided me through my earlier posts while i applied for these universities. Its members like you that are keeping this thread alive.

So the bottom line is to contact professors of concerned universities , have a nice chat with them. take their opinion and then apply!

Because i already got admitted into good univ. i will now try for the best!!!
i want to apply for
  1. yale
  2. harvard
  3. univ of michigan
  4. univ. of cal berkely
  5. univ of Washington
  6. univ of Pittsburgh

Can any one give me (personal message) the names of faculty professors whom you find helpful. i am asking it because, I found many professors who just say that graduate dept will select the students and they have no idea about it. I think they are not saying the truth, because its the specific department itself that selects the students.

If there are any voluntary students to help me. please give me a personal message.

Hope some one turns up for me :)

THANK YOU namazu, AndrewJ42, and Maiden
Can any one give me (personal message) the names of faculty professors whom you find helpful. i am asking it because, I found many professors who just say that graduate dept will select the students and they have no idea about it. I think they are not saying the truth, because its the specific department itself that selects the students.

You are right that selection of applicants is often done primarily at the department level, but there is usually another layer of review at the school or university level to ensure that you meet the university's minimum requirements (took TOEFL and GRE, submitted valid transcripts, etc.). At the department level, there is often an admissions committee (usually only 3-6 professors from the department) who review applications. If you mention a specific professor with whom you wish to work, the committee may also seek that professor's opinion, and similarly, if a professor is keen on working with you, he or she may voluntarily mention it to the committee. Note that some MPH programs (especially short ones, or ones that are not in a full school of public health) may be "school-wide" or draw on faculty from many departments, so the admissions committee will reflect that.

Tips for contacting professors:
:thumbup: Save administrative questions (application process, "chances" of admission, visas, etc.) for the admissions officer or designated contact person, who is generally in a better position to answer these types of questions.
:thumbup: Be very selective; do not blanket the department or school with e-mails.
:thumbup: Look at professors' websites or research interests before you contact them; this will help you ask better questions and may give you ideas for projects to pursue.
:thumbup: Focus on the professor's own research and projects and why they interest you.
:thumbup: Explain very briefly your education/work/experience and why it has led you to become interested in the professor's work and/or the related program at the school.
:thumbup: If you're looking for student employment, inquire as to whether there are projects that may have openings for MPH student research assistants.
:thumbup: If you are really thinking ahead, you can also inquire about the possibility of pursuing a practicum/capstone/thesis project with the professor (if that is the norm in your department); it is even better if you have some relevant ideas that you can suggest.
:thumbup: Keep in mind that professors usually cannot promise you anything in advance: admission, funding, work opportunities. Their budgets, and department budgets, depend heavily on funding from outside sources, and may change.
:thumbup: Keep e-mails short, probably not more than 2-3 short paragraphs. While many professors are very happy to hear from fans and prospective students, they are also usually busy doing the research, project implementation, and teaching that sound so interesting!

i had an 1110 and a 3.1 and got into Columbia and I am waiting on other schools. What helped me was having strong volunteer and research experience and a good essay

i had an 1110 and a 3.1 and got into Columbia and I am waiting on other schools. What helped me was having strong volunteer and research experience and a good essay

congrats.
thats very good news. can you please specify to which branch have you applied?
are you an international or usa student?

If you take the GRE more than once, are you required to list all of your scores or only the best?

If you take the GRE more than once, are you required to list all of your scores or only the best?

i think our GRE report itself shows both the present and past scores in the same sheet. we need not particularly ask the ETS to list them.
so different univ have different criteria like taking the average of two, taking the best of both,taking the most recent ones...

congrats.
thats very good news. can you please specify to which branch have you applied?
are you an international or usa student?

i'm a usa student. my verbal and quantitative were about equal for my gre. i applied to health policy & management. i strongly think that a good essay and good recommendations help you get your foot in the door. public health programs are seeking individual with clear goals and focus.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got below a 1100 but I had a significant variation in my scores where I scored higher in verbal than in math and I had a high writing score. I got into MPH in Health Policy at Columbia, Yale, Univ of Minnesota, and a bunch of other top twenty schools. What I think made a huge difference were my internships and volunteer experiences. Also while I had a very well written personal statement ( I have a friend who is a copy editor) I think the most significant factor I have going for me is my unique double degree and a high gpa ( I'm graduating this semester from undergrad with a summa cum laude).

I think anything is possible you just need to have other factors to make up for your GRE. Or if you think you can do better, make some flash cards for verbal and go try it again.

Good luck!

thank you AgentSik007 and AwaPremed for your valuable suggestions. i think my strong quant scores will be beneficial if i applied for programs like epidemiology where strong quant scores are suggested.
any comment on this?

had 1060 with 3.2 and got into BU straight out of undergrad

430V 630Q 4.5A

u have a lot of hope

i got into university of pittsburgh, suny albany, and hopkins with a GRE score of 530V, 750Q, 3.5 and a gpa of <3.0. got rejected from gwu and yale.

how do we know which universities consider the average of the Gre scores and which'll take the best of the two???

can any of you suggest a few Universities wherein i can apply for a course in ECE with a score of 1230??? or should i retake the exam again if i want a place in say, for example, Univ of Pittsbug, Texas A&M or Univ of Texas at Dallas???

Kristy, did you have any work or research experience?

i had a lot of volunteer experience. i just graduated college so no work experience other than a summer job i've kept over 5 years that is totally unrelated. i had a couple summers of research but thats it. i think it was mostly the volunteering.

hi, I got 500V 780Q and AWA awaiting...Let say the worst AWA I can get is 3.0...
I ll graduate next March 2008 and planning to apply for MPH ......do you think I can get permission????? And as anewly grad, I barely have any work experience..
worried and in the middle of proccessing

Anyways Ill try my luck

Harvard
Yale
George Washington University School of Public Health and Health Services
Boston University School of Public Health
University of Texas School of Public Health
Texas A&M Health Science Center School of Rural Public Health
University of California at Berkeley School of Public Health
University of California at Los Angeles School of Public Health
University of North Texas Health Science Center School of Public Health

Please give some opinions
should retake the exam..

Isn't the Harvard MPH just for residents or physicians?

Kristy,

How did you get into Hopkins if you just graduated from college? I thought they required a min # of years work experience or a higher level degree? (Don't read this like I am questioning whether or not you really did... I just want to know how :) )

Kristy,

How did you get into Hopkins if you just graduated from college? I thought they required a min # of years work experience or a higher level degree? (Don't read this like I am questioning whether or not you really did... I just want to know how :) )

Yes I would love to know this also, as many of their recruiters have stated this. They encourage the MS/ MHS (not sure) version of the degree instead or the Ph.D

Hi Guys

I know this question has been asked a million times over.. haha sorry! but i have to ask!

What are the chances of someone getting into a top program with a low gpa?

I was academically dismissed for a term because of bad grades,during my soph year of college. After my abeyance from school , i was admitted back, focused and graduated with honors . I had a 1.8 gpa and turned it into a 2.8 by the time I graduated. I understand and know that my under.cumulative gpa is not great at all. My last 60 hrs came out to a 3.67gpa.

I have 4 strong recommendation letters-- 2 from science profs, 2 from academic advisers. One of them being my professor who I wrote my sr. thesis for. I have pretty decent writing skills.

I took the gre twice-- first gre score i got was a 1230 570 V, 660 Q and 4.5 writing. it's a 4 hr exam-- it;s like a test of mental endurance.

2nd time i took the gre, i skipped the writing section- lol and went for 0- my V- 700, Q-750

what are my chances of getting into any MPH program?

i ask this because my entire academic record is not great at all-- mainly the first 2 years of college .. I feel that's going to prevent me from getting into any graduate school.

what are your thoughts? any feedback is appreciate. thank you! =)

oh btw-- I applied to:

Yale
BU
Emory
GWU
UIC
Texas A&M
Drexel
University of Oklahoma
UNT

i am a dentist planning to go for postgraduation studies.
i'm preparing for GRE exam. i need your advice in how to prepare for the exam? any important tips i have to follow..? what is the minimum score that can be accepted in US?

waiting for your reply...wish me luck in my exam...

dr. feras

i am a dentist planning to go for postgraduation studies.
i'm preparing for GRE exam. i need your advice in how to prepare for the exam? any important tips i have to follow..? what is the minimum score that can be accepted in US?

waiting for your reply...wish me luck in my exam...

dr. feras

I have a similar situation here i have a gre score of 1080 and preparing for the steps .I do not intend to expend another time and effort on the gre ..
My first choice will be a msc in pharmacology or molecular medicine
the second will be MPH of course.

Which schools do i stand a good chance of getting admission (for the above programs)

All assistance will be very much appreciated.

From my experience (and those of others on the board) there is no "magic" number that schools are looking for, or gpa, or extracurriculars, etc. It is the total application. Everybody has their strengths and (nearly) everyone has weaknesses. Mine was gre also...but I still applied to all the schools I was interested in, and got into all of them. My advice- just apply everywhere you might like to go, write a convincing SOP about why you want to work in public health, have stellar LORs, etc.

Good luck!

From my experience (and those of others on the board) there is no "magic" number that schools are looking for, or gpa, or extracurriculars, etc. It is the total application. Everybody has their strengths and (nearly) everyone has weaknesses. Mine was gre also...but I still applied to all the schools I was interested in, and got into all of them. My advice- just apply everywhere you might like to go, write a convincing SOP about why you want to work in public health, have stellar LORs, etc.

Good luck!

thanks for the support..
1.any ideas of schools i can apply to,especially ones with tuition waivers?

2.Is it easier to come to the States and work on admission and change visa status say from b1 to j1 or will I still to go back to my home country for the visa upgrade.

Last edited:
got umass MPH EPI
no tuition waiver though..
will be waiting for Uconn and hope for a tuition waivre

HI all---

I know this question has been posted a million different ways but i was just looking a for some good ol`fashioned educated opinions :)

I am currently an Environmental Health and Conservation volunteer in the Peace Corps and am going to be applying to go to grad school for an MPH in the fall 2012 when I get out. I went to UCLA and my gpa is pretty good (3.4 overall, 4.0 in my major) but my GRE`s were horrific! The verbal and analytical wasnt bad, i got in the 67th percentile. by on the math i got a 470! And on the websites for many different schools it actually lists that the minimum acceptable scores are 550 or above! Should I retake the test? Or do you think I have a shot at the top schools still? I am hoping for Tulane or Columbia.... but I am going to submit apps to Boston Univ, U of Minn and Yale as well... also, does anyone have any good suggestions for a safe school?

Yessii, I replied to your other post but just saw this. BU and Tulane suggest a GRE higher than 1000 so I'm guess you will be at that or higher. I don't really know anything about BU but Tulane pretty openly told me that they take people with weaker Q backgrounds than other schools (worded a bit differently than that). From my conservations with admissions people at 3 different schools, if you don't have average (50% >) Q scores, they like to see some evidence of success with higher level math and science course. If you don't have that, then I would focus on how you believe you will still be a strong candidate in your SOP. I'm not sure what the % is for a 470 but if it is well below 40% you may wish to at least talk to your top choice admissions' people.

If you are still in-country then I would email them and explain your situation. I took the LSAT in the PC and it was quite possibly the worse testing environment you could imagine :) not to mention I was so hot at the break that I actually decided to buy ice cream from the street vendor which of course was a huge public health risk :) at least in the country I served. I don't know if the testing environment affected my score (I didn't do smashingly on the GRE in a decent testing environment) but I made sure to write about it in my SOP and I was asked about it at a law school interview and I know it made a favorable impression. In the end, I was accepted to the schools that interviewed me mostly because they heard the whole story. Although in the end, I opted against law school. The moral of this long story is that it is best to use your situation to your advantage. If you don't think a low Q score is relevant to your success in a MPH program, tell them about it.

I think safety schools are very subjective. What one person considers a safety school may be another person's top choice. My safety school was based on location, not on the quality of the school. I thought I had a good chance of getting in but I didn't really want to go there. However, I actually decided to go there.

Good luck!

Good luck!

+1

My weakness was GRE as well, but I tried to make it for it with other areas of my application. I ended up turning down 3 great MHA/MPH MP&M programs! This is the time to really sell yourself. If you have the time or money to retake the GRE by all means go ahead, if not focus on other areas of your application. Good luck to all those applying for Fall 2012!

+1

My weakness was GRE as well, but I tried to make it for it with other areas of my application. I ended up turning down 3 great MHA/MPH MP&M programs! This is the time to really sell yourself. If you have the time or money to retake the GRE by all means go ahead, if not focus on other areas of your application. Good luck to all those applying for Fall 2012!

Would you mind sharing what three schools you turned down? I ask because that is the same degree that I will be applying for and I have been historically a bad test taker. I have started studying early for the GRE but preparing for the worst.

Thanks in advance!

Yessii, I replied to your other post but just saw this. BU and Tulane suggest a GRE higher than 1000 so I'm guess you will be at that or higher. I don't really know anything about BU but Tulane pretty openly told me that they take people with weaker Q backgrounds than other schools (worded a bit differently than that). From my conservations with admissions people at 3 different schools, if you don't have average (50% >) Q scores, they like to see some evidence of success with higher level math and science course. If you don't have that, then I would focus on how you believe you will still be a strong candidate in your SOP. I'm not sure what the % is for a 470 but if it is well below 40% you may wish to at least talk to your top choice admissions' people.

If you are still in-country then I would email them and explain your situation. I took the LSAT in the PC and it was quite possibly the worse testing environment you could imagine :) not to mention I was so hot at the break that I actually decided to buy ice cream from the street vendor which of course was a huge public health risk :) at least in the country I served. I don't know if the testing environment affected my score (I didn't do smashingly on the GRE in a decent testing environment) but I made sure to write about it in my SOP and I was asked about it at a law school interview and I know it made a favorable impression. In the end, I was accepted to the schools that interviewed me mostly because they heard the whole story. Although in the end, I opted against law school. The moral of this long story is that it is best to use your situation to your advantage. If you don't think a low Q score is relevant to your success in a MPH program, tell them about it.

I think safety schools are very subjective. What one person considers a safety school may be another person's top choice. My safety school was based on location, not on the quality of the school. I thought I had a good chance of getting in but I didn't really want to go there. However, I actually decided to go there.

Good luck!
i have a 1390 (620-verbal n 770 quant, 3.5 aw). 106 in toefl. 3.6 as gpa. i'd like to apply for ms/ mph in epidemo. Can i get into the tier 1 schools? i'm a doctor with some research n volunteer experience n a year of clinical experience.
1. stanford (ms)
2. hopkins
3. harvard
4. yale
5. usc
Plz do reply..

Hi Guys

I know this question has been asked a million times over.. haha sorry! but i have to ask!

What are the chances of someone getting into a top program with a low gpa?

I was academically dismissed for a term because of bad grades,during my soph year of college. After my abeyance from school , i was admitted back, focused and graduated with honors . I had a 1.8 gpa and turned it into a 2.8 by the time I graduated. I understand and know that my under.cumulative gpa is not great at all. My last 60 hrs came out to a 3.67gpa.

I have 4 strong recommendation letters-- 2 from science profs, 2 from academic advisers. One of them being my professor who I wrote my sr. thesis for. I have pretty decent writing skills.

I took the gre twice-- first gre score i got was a 1230 570 V, 660 Q and 4.5 writing. it's a 4 hr exam-- it;s like a test of mental endurance.

2nd time i took the gre, i skipped the writing section- lol and went for 0- my V- 700, Q-750

what are my chances of getting into any MPH program?

i ask this because my entire academic record is not great at all-- mainly the first 2 years of college .. I feel that's going to prevent me from getting into any graduate school.

what are your thoughts? any feedback is appreciate. thank you! =)

oh btw-- I applied to:

Yale
BU
Emory
GWU
UIC
Texas A&M
Drexel
University of Oklahoma
UNT

i think that when it comes to mph, its a little different b/c its such a practical applications/hands on field so the better question to ask instead of what are the big name schools, is which is the best for me and what i want to do/learn? i only applied to 2 programs (columbia, harvard) b/c i needed programs that i could do in 10 months before residency (so that cut out hopkins which is 11 mo and most programs).

and come to think on hindsight, i didn't apply to the right dept at harvard and it wasn't the best fit for what i want to do (id surveillance/mol epi, minority health disparities). i'm lucky that i did get into my 1st choice (columbia) and will be starting there this month but i wished that someone had given me the same advice when i was applying last year (though applying to 1 school only probably would've freaked me out if i didn't get in). each school is known to be strong in specific areas (and like i said mph is more than just learning about the american meded system or theories about public health...its learning to apply what u learn to a specific area of public health that will help u with what u want to do in the future).

for instance, hopkins (#1) is known to be strong in global health issues. i think tulane is supposed to be special b/c of their emphasis on tropical med. columbia for minority/urban health disparities (and it has a center for infection and immunity and lots of id/emerging id/mol epi/etc classes for those interested in how to track emerging new pathogens, do infectious disease surveillance, or work on public health programs around id). harvard is known for research and methodologies (they have great ppl like dr nancy krieger), etc. take a look at the courses each program provides and u'll have a better feel for what that school concentrates on or is strong in. of course, this doesn't mean that other schools aren't strong in these areas either which is why i suggested looking at what courses they have. after all, u'll be spending 1-2 yrs there so u'd hope that they have classes that interest u.

as to the low #s bit...i think for mph, it really is the whole package and that relevant work/volunteer experiences and LORs count for a lot and can even make programs overlook a bad gre or gpa. a large # of my future classmates are rpcv (ex-peace corps) and have done some amazing things even though they r way younger than me and i can just imagine their personal statements on their apps. they did ask for my ug grades (and my gpa was pretty crappy at a top school, let's say in the 2's) and i also gave them gre from 1995 (which i guess if i count just V+M = 1400, we didn't have a writing section then but a quantitative analysis one) even though they were willing to take my mcat (>30). grades in med (state) school and boards (only took step 1 so far, over 90%ile) were good and i had phenomenal LORs (they emailed me a copy so i was surprised when i read them) plus have been doing activist work in the minority/immigrant community since college (over a decade). so if u have just a blip on a #, still go for it but make sure the rest of the package is solid...i mean they did not hold my low ug grades against me (i got in on the 1st day they sent acceptances)...and i hear similar stories from my future classmates.

but don't just apply to programs b/c of the name, really research what they r going to do to help u get where u wanna go. yes, top names will have awesome profs/leaders in the field (but make sure they're accessible), lots of resources...but if they don't offer many courses in ur area of interest (esp if its a specific one and not sth general like epi, in which case, then u're more likely to find a good place among the top schools)...then its not worth going there unless u're going just to network and make connections (which isn't a bad thing either).

HI all---

I know this question has been posted a million different ways but i was just looking a for some good ol`fashioned educated opinions :)

I am currently an Environmental Health and Conservation volunteer in the Peace Corps and am going to be applying to go to grad school for an MPH in the fall 2012 when I get out. I went to UCLA and my gpa is pretty good (3.4 overall, 4.0 in my major) but my GRE`s were horrific! The verbal and analytical wasnt bad, i got in the 67th percentile. by on the math i got a 470! And on the websites for many different schools it actually lists that the minimum acceptable scores are 550 or above! Should I retake the test? Or do you think I have a shot at the top schools still? I am hoping for Tulane or Columbia.... but I am going to submit apps to Boston Univ, U of Minn and Yale as well... also, does anyone have any good suggestions for a safe school?

I would retake the GRE, assuming you have the time to study, and blow it out of the water. It is the only thing holding up your application. Regardless of retaking it, apply to a good range of schools, dream schools are within your reach.

U of Minn and Yale are great schools. I don't think that BU really cares a rat's patooney about Peace Corps volunteers, in fact, I know a couple of them who had an unusually hard time when applying there. Why? I think because the school just doesn't appreciate (tolerate?) those who want to serve others who are less fortunate, and runs a more of an old school teaching environment.:( On the plus side, BU is a middle tier safety school that most people can get into.

Last edited:

Good luck!

JAYA ...thnaks so much for your encouragement..and yes I did feel like that was the worst testing environment ever. Peopl ahve told me to waita year and then apply (like as in take a year between when i get home and when i go to grad ...) but i do not want to do that because of A. the economy, and B. i know this si what i want to do, so whjy wait any longer!?

I am glad to hear that you felt the same way about applying while in country, because I was pretty upset about my scores, wondering if I couldnt do better, and why not!? and hearing you say it makes me feel like i am not the only one!

btw, where did you do your service ? I am in Panama...and it is HOTT here too :) And where did you end up going to school in the end ?

I have been reading up on some old forums about low GRE scores and GPA when applying for MPH programs and I was hoping to ask if people contacted professors from the schools you got accepted to before applying and stayed in touch with them during the process? I got an 1190 on my GRE's and have a 3.0 GPA from Undergrad. I have been working for 2 years and have done numerous internships during my college days. I'm making sure my SoP is amazing, have good LoR and wanted to know what else I can do? I want to apply for some PhD program in public health, but wasn't sure if I should as my scores are pretty low. Any suggestions/advice?

Thanks!