Has anybody been rejected right after their secondary?

SMC123

7+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I am trying to figure out if anybody has been rejected in the few weeks or months following their secondary.

The reason I am asking is I just received a 23 on my MCAT, and am debating on whether I should update the schools about my future MCAT date. I am leaning towards not telling them until I receieve my next score. However, if in that mean time (will take mcat sept 4th, get score october 6th) I have a chance of getting rejected from specific schools, I would like to update them that I am retaking.

So my main concern is, do DO schools usually put students on hold if they have a little lower MCAT, or do some reject right away?

mommy2three

PGY-1
10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2005
Michigan
Status
Resident [Any Field]
my impression, and i could be wrong here, is that some schools look for a minimum mcat to screen applications before they send out a secondary. in those cases, you would be rejected before you even receive a secondary based on your mcat alone.
to err on the side of caution, i would contact aacomas and figure out how to change your application to show the retake.

OP
S

SMC123

7+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2009
Status
Medical Student
The score of a 23 only gets cut off at Touro NY (I have a 8,7,8). Thus, I have recieved all my secondaries. Should I continue through the process without stating I am retaking the MCAT. (I might just tell the schools that have a higher average MCAT.. such as a 27-28)

Semicolon

OMS II
10+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2008
NYC
Status
Medical Student
I am trying to figure out if anybody has been rejected in the few weeks or months following their secondary.

The reason I am asking is I just received a 23 on my MCAT, and am debating on whether I should update the schools about my future MCAT date. I am leaning towards not telling them until I receieve my next score. However, if in that mean time (will take mcat sept 4th, get score october 6th) I have a chance of getting rejected from specific schools, I would like to update them that I am retaking.

So my main concern is, do DO schools usually put students on hold if they have a little lower MCAT, or do some reject right away?
Has anyone been rejected post-secondary? Yeah, plenty of people. With your situation, it is in your best interest to update the schools with a retake date so that they might hold your application instead of outright rejecting it. Keep in mind that you will have to release ALL of your scores anyway, whether you like them or not. With your current MCAT, there is quite a chance that they would reject you if they saw no indication of you attempting to improve it.

Jun 23, 2009
Status
Has anyone been rejected post-secondary? Yeah, plenty of people. With your situation, it is in your best interest to update the schools with a retake date so that they might hold your application instead of outright rejecting it. Keep in mind that you will have to release ALL of your scores anyway
, whether you like them or not. With your current MCAT, there is quite a chance that they would reject you if they saw no indication of you attempting to improve it.
Very true. Its not going to hurt you as much as you think as long as you are retakin.