Has anybody (Canadians) applied to Memorial University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MUN2005

Miner?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school, just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, sorry. :) Within Canada, I just applied to Manitoba. I had a friend who interviewed out there last year as an OOP. I don't know if she got in or not...

Cool! So have you heard anything from any US schools yet? I've been following your posts a little, how did Duke go over?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing official, but I think I'm probably rejected. I'm just waiting on Stanford now... Unless something really miraculous happens, I'll go to Manitoba this fall.

How about you? Are you applying this year?

No! I am only in my first year, but I don't think it's too early to start planning! Trying to get ahead of the game!

Ahh. Yes, you are definitely ahead of the game then... LOL Are you planning to stay within Canada for your MD? Just my little patriotic pitch, but there are some amazing med schools in Canada. Toronto and McGill would both be ranked in the top 10 in the US, should they have been South of the border, and I think most schools in Canada would be ranked in the top 50...

Anyway, good luck! I've never been to Newfoundland. The farthest east I've been in Montreal... LOL

•••quote:•••Originally posted by brandonite:
•Ahh. Yes, you are definitely ahead of the game then... LOL Are you planning to stay within Canada for your MD? Just my little patriotic pitch, but there are some amazing med schools in Canada. Toronto and McGill would both be ranked in the top 10 in the US, should they have been South of the border, and I think most schools in Canada would be ranked in the top 50...

Anyway, good luck! I've never been to Newfoundland. The farthest east I've been in Montreal... LOL•••••Hard to say that Toronto and McGill would both be ranked in the top 10 in the US. It is basically impossible to know! But Canadian schools are of excellent qualities. A few years later, I might be able to give you more answers when both me and my friends graduate from med schools from both sides of the border.

As for Memorial, isn't it the only Canadian med school that, along with McGill, has more Americans than Canadian out-of-province students every year? Their tuition for Americans are outrageous, something like $30,000 a year?

A friend of mine got in three years ago as an out-of-province Canadian. He later on decided to stay inside of BC and go to UBC.

You're right, I just made rough guesses based on no real evidence. :) But my point stands - they, along with certain other schools, are all excellent places to go to medical school.