Has anybody ever done "spiritual caring" for patients in the hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You seem to be the one saying, "Only my way." In a diverse society, some people are going to wear their faith on their sleeve and others will be more private while we also have the freedom not to practice any religion or display any religious symbols at all. I don't see those people who have bible verses in their signature lines criticizing anyone for not having the same.
I'm not sure if your comment is intended to be enlightening or argumentative, but no matter. Whether a society is homogeneous or diverse, each has expectations suggesting which topics or expressions are suitable or not in various settings. Most people I know find expressions of overt religiosity in day-to-day secular life unwelcome. Comments that are fine to say at Bible class would likely be out of place in a departmental meeting at work, for example.

We can disagree, no problem. Thanks for all the help and enlightenment you provide for so many people by your active participation here, you do a lot of good.

Members don't see this ad.

Musclemass, are you one of those people who doesn't like being wished a Merry Christmas? Just wondering.
Nope. I take it as a warm expression of goodwill, it's most welcome..

I don't particularly like how a religious observance has been transformed into a media/commercial/popular culture extravaganza. But it is what it is, people are free to make of it what they want.

Nope. I take it as a warm expression of goodwill, it's most welcome..

I don't particularly like how a religious observance has been transformed into a media/commercial/popular culture extravaganza. But it is what it is, people are free to make of it what they want.

I don't particularly like how a seasonal milestone has been transformed into a religious observance.

Members don't see this ad :)
To the OP's question, I haven't, but I've seen it done. I worked at a Catholic hospital for a few months in a clinical for nursing and they had someone who went around asking if the patients wanted blessings, but that's because it was a Catholic hospital.

I was actually kind of uncomfortable with it as I didn't know what to do during the prayer if I was in the room with them (I'm atheist), but I could see how that makes sense since a lot of our patients identified as Catholic.

Personally if I was in your volunteer position I wouldn't call it "spiritual" support as much as just emotional support. I'd be willing to sit, talk to the patient, hold their hand, etc., but not pray with them since that would feel fake/weird to me as I don't believe in dieties.

It's definitely an interesting thread, though. I've actually been in a hospital setting and had a rabbi come into my room simply because of my name, and while I was being polite and allowed him to do his thing, I was marginally annoyed, but not enough that it really mattered. Definitely not something I would go bat**** about.

Weird. Why didn't you politely ask him not to instead? I'd find that quite awkward... That's what I was saying about OP's thing, that it's a good idea if it's done by request, not if they're just walking into every room praying. It's nice from a Christian pov, but awkward I think if for someone who's not.

I am not going to be going into the room and imposing any sort of religion....one of the purposes of spiritual caring is to be available for the patient if he/she REQUESTS a prayer. If the patient doesn't request a prayer (which they normally won't), I will still sit there and try to make them feel as comfortable as possible with my presence.

I am not going to be going into the room and imposing any sort of religion....one of the purposes of spiritual caring is to be available for the patient if he/she REQUESTS a prayer. If the patient doesn't request a prayer (which they normally won't), I will still sit there and try to make them feel as comfortable as possible with my presence.

Sounds like you've got the idea and you'll do just fine. It'll be a good experience for you as well as benefiting the patients. Patients like to feel like they are human and that they are cared for- whether they want to pray with you or just tell you all about their grandkids.

Weird. Why didn't you politely ask him not to instead? I'd find that quite awkward... That's what I was saying about OP's thing, that it's a good idea if it's done by request, not if they're just walking into every room praying. It's nice from a Christian pov, but awkward I think if for someone who's not.

I didn't say anything because as much of a mess I am in my own conduct(everywhere except interviews, where I have to try really hard not to make inane jokes about my love for nerdy jewish boys and their Goyam counterparts), I recognized it as a gesture of goodwill, even if misguided. I wish my friends always gave me a pass when I assumed they weren't religious and made jokes about religion (most of them do, but not all), so as a matter of course, I don't consider it too much of a faux pas when a rabbi makes an inaccurate assumption about my [lack of] faith.

Definitely a personal decision, though, and I understand it's not one everyone feels comfortable making. I certainly support the notion that health care providers should use a carefully worded way of ascertaining faith and ask before a religious leader enters the room (WITHOUT THE RELIGIOUS LEADER STANDING RIGHT OUTSIDE THE ROOM), but it's not something I would really fuss about.

Here's how it works in my shop. When a patient is admitted and we go through the bazillion questions, one of them is: "Do you have any religious or spiritual preference?" (Then if the answer is yes, the next question is what type.) "Would you like any visits from the pastoral care department?"

It's a simple yes or no. If someone wants that kind of support, they get it. If they don't want it, it isn't an issue either.

Oh, yeah, and if there's some kind of spiritual thing (prayer, etc.) going on in the patient's room at the time, I try to be respectful of that and try to avoid interfering with the patient or equipment in the room.