Has anybody seen/read the articles in the new US News...

NREMTP

Is Chillin
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
Here
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
    I picked this issue up because on the cover it says "Who Needs Doctors" Your future physician might not be an M.D.-and you may be better off. So, I thought "yeah, they are going to talk about D.O.'s and what we do, you know kind of put us on the map since very few people actually know we exist." Although the articles are good, no mention of D.O.'s anywhere in any of the articles. Actually, no there is one place when the article is talking about turf wars between physicians and non-physicians. All that said was M.D.'s and D.O.'s can perscribe meds.
    The articles focus on non-physician providers and their expanded scope. Mainly nurse practitioners, PA's, and CRNA's. In some states pharmicists can vaccinate patients, some psychologists can perscribe meds, and in some states oral and maxofacial dentists can do face-lifts, botox injections, and eyelid surgery. Of course physicians are outraged because that is "their" turf and they say its all about patient safety, but we really know its all about the benjamins baby. Very interesting articles. If you haven't picked it up, it's worth the $4.50.
    I would like to know what everybody else thinks about the information in the articles and if they think it will effect their career in the future.

B

MasterShakeDO

The Drizzle
    10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Jan 26, 2005
    Southern Cal
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      I picked it up at the airport thinking the same thing, also looking for something I might be able to use in my interview. While I was disappointed they barely mentioned DO's, the articles were very relevant to us.
      One article focused on the rapidly declining number of doctors in family practice because of the screwed up reimbursement system in today's healthcare. Doctors are pandering to the rich with pay-for-service in order to make money. My favorite quote from the magazine was some resident who switched her specialty because, "The patients were too needy!"
      The article painted a bleak picture of primary care, but it only made my resolve stronger. Family practice doctors are needed now more than ever.
      Doctors need to prioritize why they are going into healthcare in the first place. How can you say you want to help people and then turn around and claim patients are too needy? Is it really all about money? Shouldn't we as future DOs rise to the forefront and extol the virtues of patient care and practicing in underserved areas and not worry about compensation?
      Sorry for the diatribe, but I've been up all night studying for a Biochem exam!

Static Line

America's Guard of Honor
      10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Dec 5, 2004
        MasterShakeDO said:
        I picked it up at the airport thinking the same thing, also looking for something I might be able to use in my interview. While I was disappointed they barely mentioned DO's, the articles were very relevant to us.
        One article focused on the rapidly declining number of doctors in family practice because of the screwed up reimbursement system in today's healthcare. Doctors are pandering to the rich with pay-for-service in order to make money. My favorite quote from the magazine was some resident who switched her specialty because, "The patients were too needy!"
        The article painted a bleak picture of primary care, but it only made my resolve stronger. Family practice doctors are needed now more than ever.
        Doctors need to prioritize why they are going into healthcare in the first place. How can you say you want to help people and then turn around and claim patients are too needy? Is it really all about money? Shouldn't we as future DOs rise to the forefront and extol the virtues of patient care and practicing in underserved areas and not worry about compensation?
        Sorry for the diatribe, but I've been up all night studying for a Biochem exam!

I agree that some need to reevaluate why they go into medicine, especially if it is solely for the $$$$$. However, I am not that idealistic that $$$$$ aren't a matter of concern either. Those who make it all the way through med school and residency have put in a minimum of 11 years of training, and your desire for more compesation will increase the more you specialize because the longer it takes to complete. For many folks, these are the best years of their lives that they have sacrificed to study and learn such a noble profession as medicine. I don't think it is much to ask for a just-compensation. I will have a lot of debt to pay off and I don't think that todays reimbursment climate is condusive to go into primary care, and it's still going down. Especially, when PA's and NP's who have less than half the training than the typical family practice doc are willing to work for 6ok, and have accrued much less debt. In today's reimbursement climate it's all about procedures if you want to get paid. I would like to go into primary care, but I don't know if I could afford it. :(

About the Ads

TAI786

10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Jan 8, 2005
        Michigan
          Mastershake: Haha, lemme guess you picked it up in the airport on the way to/from an interview, right? Same exact thing happened with me. My flight was delayed by a little over an hour and I went to the press stand to get a book but ended up with the magazine instead.

mrm1682

10+ Year Member
          7+ Year Member
          Aug 2, 2004
          NJ
            i picked it up last week and just thumbed through it but i never got a chance to read it yet because i've been studying for exams. after this thurs i'll read through it. i was wondering if there was any mention of DOs but i guess you guys answered my question. oh well, should be interesting reading none-the-less.

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
            Removed
            10+ Year Member
            Jan 4, 2005
              Was asked about this at my UPenn interview

anyhow, I gather the encroahment of other health professionals only affects the following:

Anesthesiology
              Psychiatry
              Family medicine

Please add to the list.

docbill

10+ Year Member
              7+ Year Member
              Aug 20, 2004
              1. Medical Student
                I read it and they only mention DO in comparing to these other prof.

Something like "DOs lobied for the right to perscrib medication in the 60s and 70s."

I think that is good that they don't say much about DOs. That won't put this prof in the same group as RN and Psyc etc... It would of been nice if they added something along the lines, "but, DOs do the same medical school training as MDs".

About the Ads
                This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                7. This thread is locked.