Has anyone actually bargained for financial aid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GeorgeFoster

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone actually ever tried bargaining for financial aid from a medical school? I feel like its something people talk about but I want to hear from someone who has actually done it. Had any success?

I had only one acceptance before May 15th, and not surprisingly I got exactly zero financial aid from them. Now I got in a few days ago from a similar school (large public mid-higher tier school) and was wondering if I could hope for anything from the unexpected good news.

Members don't see this ad.

curses to my searching ability, cheers to milliya

but my question is this, i like School A despite the no money, so how do I tell School A that I would like more money? I mean I can't say I want to withdraw like the kids from the other thread, because I really want to go to school A.

Would I instead just call up, and ask them if there is the possibility for any more financial Aid to come my way since I am still weighing two schools?

The problem is I have a perpetual fear of sounding like a d-bag who is only asking for more money, which... i guess... is exactly what I'm doing...

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm well i'm no expert, but i had the same problem with undergrad: i needed more money. i guess you could call school A and say something like: "I would really like to attend your school...yaddayaddayadda...but the financial aid package that I was offered just isn't sufficient enough...etc...is there ANY way that I could get some more aid?"

you can also throw in something about the other school but the key is not to sound demanding or condescending or they wont give you ish

do it like a ball player...

show me the money, or i take my services to mr. steinbrenner and the yankees!

:D