Has anyone as a PGY 2 looked for jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananas85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was on the interview trail, It was mentioned a couple times that if you sign a contract as a second year, you can get a monthly stipend with it.

Having said that has anyone looked or signed for a jobe as a mid year PGY 2. What kind of a salries and stipends are to be expected?

Is it wise to do this, if you are ok with being a hospitalist for the first year??

Members don't see this ad.

When I was on the interview trail, It was mentioned a couple times that if you sign a contract as a second year, you can get a monthly stipend with it.

Having said that has anyone looked or signed for a jobe as a mid year PGY 2. What kind of a salries and stipends are to be expected?

Is it wise to do this, if you are ok with being a hospitalist for the first year??

Your post is confusing and missing some information that would be helpful but if I understand your question, you're looking for a hospitalist job that will pay you a stipend while you finish residency. Those are definitely out there, usually in rural/underserved locations where they have a hard time finding people to fill positions. And keep in mind that there's no such thing as free money. If they're going to pay you (usually on the order of $2-4K/month) to not do any work for them for a year, they're going to get it back from you once you do start working for them. So your salary for the first year or 3 will be less (which may or may not be OK with you). And they're probably going to have a minimum contract length (likely >1y) and a payback clause.

Also, if you're talking about working as a hospitalist for a year while you apply for fellowship, that's a discussion we've had before and something I would reconsider if I were you.

Reactions: 1 user