Has anyone been able to get in without shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boko

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have not been able to find a shadowing opportunity and im applying this cycle. has anyone been able to get into medical school without having shadowed a doctor?

Members don't see this ad.

So I have not been able to find a shadowing opportunity and im applying this cycle. has anyone been able to get into medical school without having shadowed a doctor?

"I have not been able to find a shadowing opportunity" is not a good excuse. If you want to be a physician, you need to be proactive.

Shadowing isn't specifically a requirement for admission into medical school, but you should probably have some kind of clinical experience in a different form i.e. volunteering in a hospital

Members don't see this ad :)

I didn't have any activities categorized under "shadowing," though I briefly alluded to some shadowing I did "on the side" of other ECs--which was minimal. You can likely compensate for this with relevant clinical experience and/or research. I guess it might depend on location, but my impression was never that shadowing opportunities were hard to find.

My lack of formal shadowing came up only once in an interview; I was still accepted.

It CAN be done. I drove to a city three hours away and had to splurge for two nights in a hotel room to shadow one doctor. I flew 1,100 miles to shadow another. Fortunately, I have some upcoming observerships that will be local. Point is YOU have to make it happen. Don't expect a doctor to ask you if you want to shadow him/her.

I would suggest picking up some hours ASAP. Call physicians' offices in your area and ask if they take students. I'd be surprised if you can't find someone would be willing to take you. If you have no experience at all, I'd suggest getting some hours in a primary care field.

agree with above. adcoms want to know that you understand what a doctor does everyday, not that you have seen doctor over there. shadowing is really a great experience that everyone should do. do everything you can to find one.

"I have not been able to find a shadowing opportunity" is not a good excuse. If you want to be a physician, you need to be proactive.

Excuse me....i am not using it as an excuse...its a FACT..i have NOT found any opportunites because of HIPPA regulations

Excuse me....i am not using it as an excuse...its a FACT..i have NOT found any opportunites because of HIPPA regulations
I got in with no shadowing and very little clinical. I did not decide until late sophomore year to attend medical school.........

Do you have other clinical experiences (volunteer, work, etc.)? If you have enough of those, you might be fine without shadowing hours. I didn't have any shadowing hours when I applied either. I called and visited 50+ physicians in my area, and none of them were willing to let me shadow because they were either too busy or they didn't want to violate patients' privacy. I got in with no shadowing, but I had a job that gave me 3+ years of clinical experience.

I never had an official shadowing experience, but I volunteered with a clinic for 5 years and worked 16hours/week as a scribe. My lack of shadowing never came up in interviews, but I think that's because I had a very solid clinical foundation.

See what clinical experiences you can get, whether that be volunteering though a hospital or official clinical work like a scribe program. My undergrad also had a lot of resources for premed students about how to get involved in the hospital etc. it could hurt to check with a premed advisor and see what's available. Personally I believe something active, where you actually have personal responsibility, is almost more valuable than simply shadowing because it requires more than standing and watching.

That being said, like many people mentioned above, med schools really want to be sure you know what you're getting in to. Whether or not you've technically shadowed you should have some type of concrete experience to back up the "Why do you want to be a doctor?" question.

It CAN be done. I drove to a city three hours away and had to splurge for two nights in a hotel room to shadow one doctor. I flew 1,100 miles to shadow another. Fortunately, I have some upcoming observerships that will be local. Point is YOU have to make it happen. Don't expect a doctor to ask you if you want to shadow him/her.

That's a little much. But kudos for making it happen, and I'm sure they were great experiences. :)

Definitely came into this thread expecting "I don't want to, it is so boring, arrrrggggh." But using HIPAA as an excuse is a little silly. How do you explain those of us who have managed to shadow, HIPAA and all? For me, I know I just signed a pretty generic form saying that I wouldn't disclose anything ever on penalty of death cross my heart, and the doctor I shadowed was always sure to get the patient's permission for me to observe the exam.

Are the doctors you have contacted using HIPAA as an excuse? If it is a lot of doctors, you may want to rethink your approach or the doctors you are approaching - they may just be using it as a convenient brush-off, they may not have the time to explain things to you, or they may have had a bad experience with another student. EDIT: Or it might be you're just flat-out unlucky like Ilovewater, but s/he had a great solution/substitution. :)

If you really can't find anything local, I agree with the others who have been saying use your other clinical experiences in lieu of shadowing to prove that you know what medicine is from a standpoint other than that of a patient.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I shadowed a doctor, but I didn't put it on my application because I shadowed less than 50 hours total. I felt that leaving a blank spot was better than just filling in a spot just to fill it in. (And no, I did not mention that I shadowed in my personal statement or my interview...nor was it in any of my letters.)

Shadowing, as an activity to get into medical school, is overrated...imho

On the other hand, you better have other forms of clinical experience (e.g. clinical volunteering).

That's a little much. But kudos for making it happen, and I'm sure they were great experiences. :)

Definitely came into this thread expecting "I don't want to, it is so boring, arrrrggggh." But using HIPPA as an excuse is a little silly. How do you explain those of us who have managed to shadow, HIPPA and all? For me, I know I just signed a pretty generic form saying that I wouldn't disclose anything ever on penalty of death cross my heart, and the doctor I shadowed was always sure to get the patient's permission for me to observe the exam.

Are the doctors you have contacted using HIPPA as an excuse? If it is a lot of doctors, you may want to rethink your approach or the doctors you are approaching - they may just be using it as a convenient brush-off, they may not have the time to explain things to you, or they may have had a bad experience with another student. EDIT: Or it might be you're just flat-out unlucky like Ilovewater, but s/he had a great solution/substitution. :)

If you really can't find anything local, I agree with the others who have been saying use your other clinical experiences in lieu of shadowing to prove that you know what medicine is from a standpoint other than that of a patient

This. Unless you have violated HIPAA before or something. I don't even remember signing papers for my shadowing experiences. It is pretty much implied that you don't talk about the patients identities.

I got in without any shadowing, but I am in Canada, and I think shadowing as a pre-med is less of a thing here.

I had an insanely difficult time shadowing doctors. It was fun and interesting, but the nurses would never get the doctors to call me back. So I just started walking in. Generally they are friendlier in person. :D

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Shadowing is BS, try your best to get some, don't worry about it you can't.

I actually sympathize with the OP. I was very friendly with one of the doctors that I shadowed but even he had some misgivings because of those HIPPA regulations.

I actually sympathize with the OP. I was very friendly with one of the doctors that I shadowed but even he had some misgivings because of those HIPPA regulations.

I'm willing to bet that for the OP it was either one doctor who had a potential problem with him/her shadowing and HIPAA or a few doctors in the same practice afterwards the OP gave up and said he/she was unable to find a shadowing experience.

I never shadowed a physician, but I did a clinical "internship" where I was able to rotate through different hospital departments and get a feel for what particular physician's did every day. If you can't find a physician to shadow, which I find unlikely, there's always clinical volunteering. Both can show adcoms that you've tested your interest in medicine and aren't blindly going into a field in which you don't have the slightest clue about its expectations.

It shouldn't be an issue as long as you substitute it with some experience/activity that allows you to get some exposure to the field of medicine. Anything that shows you have a pretty good idea of what being a physician entails.

Of course it is possible to get in without shadowing. Heck, you can get in without taking the MCAT if you have the right connections (http://www.gainesville.com/article/20080410/NEWS/804100319). That doesn't mean that it is a good idea to do it, especially since shadowing is one of the easiest things to do and so many admissions committees expect it. And yes, I had lots of trouble finding doctors to shadow but I managed to do it. You have to be persistent and dedicated.

Some schools have shadowing as an explicit requirement (UWash, Creighton, Utah, as examples). There are plenty of schools that don't have an explicit requirement though.

It's funny how you're using HIPAA as your excuse when the rest of us are also in the US and found somewhere after looking long enough. Some offices are going to use it as an excuse but it is possible to find someone who will let you shadow.

I think shadowing is a very important part of the application, and it is an essential experience that you need before applying to medical school.

I don't understand why people find it so hard to shadow a doctor. Yes, some of them don't call back or answer emails, but I contacted about 10 doctor offices, and at least half of them got back to me with instructions on how to get a student badge and get started. It was an amazing experience, and I learned so much.

Most doctors LOVE it when students follow them around - all mine enjoyed it, and so will yours. So get involved...

You should try asking around, see if your parents know any doctors or if your school's premed office can get you in contact with an alumnus.

I've walked a half hour in each direction, in the snow, along a highway (I'm not kidding) but I made it happen, too. Don't give up so easily! It can't just be coincidence that THIS many people have found someone to shadow.

I sympathize with you OP. I had a ridiculous time finding physicians to shadow. I basically had to tell everyone I knew that I was looking to shadow a doctor and even then getting a hold of the physicians and getting past the bureaucracy was difficult. Even when I found doctors who were willing to let me shadow I would get shot down by a hospital or group policy. I had the best luck with private practice physicians in suburban areas. Also once you get your foot in the door at one place ask them if they know any physicians that would be willing to let you shadow....Good luck, finding shadowing was one of the biggest pains ever. In the end though I really enjoyed my shadowing experience since it was very different than my clinical experience. I am glad I did it.

I'm willing to bet that for the OP it was either one doctor who had a potential problem with him/her shadowing and HIPAA or a few doctors in the same practice afterwards the OP gave up and said he/she was unable to find a shadowing experience.

It may sound silly, but hearing a few nos can be a very disheartening experience. It's the same thing in dating, people are scared of rejection so they end up not trying (anymore) and miss out on good opportunities. I totally understand OP's mindset. OP just try a little harder, use your support system and see if you have any connections. Your parents might be friendly with people who count doctors among their progeny. It might take some effort but you should be able to find someone. At the very least, cold calling people (say you find a list of doctor's offices from the internet or something) can lead to a good opportunity. The worst that can happen is that they say no.

That's a little much. But kudos for making it happen, and I'm sure they were great experiences. :)QUOTE]

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Shadowing is BS, try your best to get some, don't worry about it you can't.

I had an "in" with a DO general surgeon. That's not very common, lol. It was in another city, however. The 1,100-mile flight was to spend time with the fam and log ~20 hours with my uncle, who is a pediatrician. It was nice to see the private practice side of things. Things get pretty graphic in peds so I doubt I would have been able to shadow a pediatrician locally without people thinking I was a ped...ophile.

I shadowed a doctor, but I didn't put it on my application because I shadowed less than 50 hours total. I felt that leaving a blank spot was better than just filling in a spot just to fill it in. (And no, I did not mention that I shadowed in my personal statement or my interview...nor was it in any of my letters.)

Shadowing, as an activity to get into medical school, is overrated...imho

On the other hand, you better have other forms of clinical experience (e.g. clinical volunteering).

Do you think 100 hours of shadowing and doctor with a LOR will look legit enough to put down? I have the clinical volunteering down, but I plan on shadowing an oncologist this summer.

It may sound silly, but hearing a few nos can be a very disheartening experience. It's the same thing in dating, people are scared of rejection so they end up not trying (anymore) and miss out on good opportunities. I totally understand OP's mindset. OP just try a little harder, use your support system and see if you have any connections. Your parents might be friendly with people who count doctors among their progeny. It might take some effort but you should be able to find someone. At the very least, cold calling people (say you find a list of doctor's offices from the internet or something) can lead to a good opportunity. The worst that can happen is that they say no.

Understandable. I heard so many no's or just no answers when was looking for jobs after I graduated I almost wanted to give up.

If you have a family doctor you could ask him/her if they know anyone who is open to shadowing. (You may even get them to do it if you ask nicely ;) ) This is how I did it. My grandfather is a courier so I had an in with a pathologist and eventually got to see a lot of cool stuff and only had to fill out a few HIPPA papers.

Also, one of my friends called hospitals and eventually came across a doctor who was open to it. It's definitely doable, you just have to be willing to get into some awkward situations to get the answers you want.

I sympathize with you OP. I had a ridiculous time finding physicians to shadow. I basically had to tell everyone I knew that I was looking to shadow a doctor and even then getting a hold of the physicians and getting past the bureaucracy was difficult. Even when I found doctors who were willing to let me shadow I would get shot down by a hospital or group policy. I had the best luck with private practice physicians in suburban areas. Also once you get your foot in the door at one place ask them if they know any physicians that would be willing to let you shadow....Good luck, finding shadowing was one of the biggest pains ever. In the end though I really enjoyed my shadowing experience since it was very different than my clinical experience. I am glad I did it.

Damn nice stats

Do you think 100 hours of shadowing and doctor with a LOR will look legit enough to put down? I have the clinical volunteering down, but I plan on shadowing an oncologist this summer.

Yes, definitely put it down!

Question: Can scribing substitute shadowing? I've only shadowed 5hrs (things fell apart as I started school) and have found a scribe opportunity. For those schools that REQUIRE shadowing, would it work to say I was a scribe instead? You basically shadow... just get paid for it (;

Question: Can scribing substitute shadowing? I've only shadowed 5hrs (things fell apart as I started school) and have found a scribe opportunity. For those schools that REQUIRE shadowing, would it work to say I was a scribe instead? You basically shadow... just get paid for it (;

I don't think you can explicitly state that you shadowed... there is a difference between being a scribe and shadowing.

No shadowing, got in. I echo what the other Canadian in this thread said: shadowing seems to be practically non-existent here, or at least I don't know of anyone who's done it. The whole point of shadowing is to add another perspective to your arsenal of clinical experiences; if you can demonstrate that you've already explored medicine from different viewpoints (international vs. domestic, clinical volunteering vs. research, hospital vs. community clinic, patient vs. staff, etc.), you should be fine! Mes deux cents.

Med schools can also be more lenient on shadowing if you have a parent who is a doctor. They just want to see that you understand the rigors of the profession and that it's not a cakewalk once you have your MD.

Aside from having both of my parents in medically-related careers, I did some shadowing in the ED and the OR (total <50 hrs). Altogether it seemed to be sufficient for the adcoms, as I currently hold multiple acceptances.

lol, whatever guys. I'm firmly convinced that the anyone who says shadowing no big deal either has physician parents/close family or some sort of blackmail on a doctor, because I can honestly tell you when I was applying the most teeth-pulling thing was getting even double-digit hours.

And FYI, from my experience, HIPAA's pretty much the standard reply unless you're really lucky or the physician knows you personally. Or, again, you've stumbled upon damning pictures from your physician's last trip to Cancun.

To put it into proper perspective:
You know shadowing is one of the unwritten requirements to get into medical school... but it's so vague! How much should you shadow? What specialties? What do you need to do? The pre-medical mind revolts at this lack of a well-defined track. Well, be paralyzed with concern no longer: with Gnomes' Shadowing Checklist, the planning and execution of comprehensive and balanced shadowing experience is as easy as simple addition! Just keep shadowing until you accumulate enough points in each section, and that thick envelope is as good as yours.*

Section I: Kinds of Doctors to Shadow (4 pts)
(2 pt) Whatever kind of primary care specialty you can best pretend to be interested in.
(1 pt) Academic physician, any specialty.

(1 pt) Whatever specialty you are actually interested in at this minute.
(1 pt) A surgeon of any kind. (Ophthalmologists and Mohs surgeons do not count.)
(0 pts) Radiologist, pathologist, or other specialist who is not in the same room with the patient.
(-1 pt) Plastic surgeon, dermatologist, or other frivolous, well-compensated specialist.
(1 pt) Any one doctor for more than 40 hours total.
Section II: Events to Observe (6 pts)
(1 pt) CODE BLUE! (2 pts if the code was actually called for logistical reasons. -4 pts if you
caused the code.)

(2 pt) Doctor telling a tearful relative "there's nothing more we can do." (Note: a tactful pre-med will wait until out of the family's sight to check off this list item.)
(1 pt) Surgery, or procedure by medicine sub-specialist wearing scrubs. (Repeatable, max 4 pts.)
(1 pt) Clinic day. (Repeatable, max 4 pts.)

(1 pt) Rounds. (Repeatable, max 4 pts.)
(1 pt) Grand rounds or conference. (2 pts for transplant selection meeting or similar.)
Section III: Kinds of Patients to See (4 pts)
(1 pt): Drug-seeker. (2 pts if a legitimately painful organic disease complicates things.)
(1 pt): Person on welfare with # of progeny / # of teeth ratio in excess of unity.
(1 pt): Patient with self-inflicted disease. (2 pts if it can be blamed on society or membership in underserved community in your personal statement. N.B. fatties don't count.)
(2 pts): Any malingerer who is not specifically a drug-seeker.
(1 pt): Floridly psychotic patient.
(3 pts): Indigent patient with a medical problem that is in no way their fault, who is a victim of the backward American insurance system. Great personal statement fodder.
(2 pts): 90 y/o demented patient who is full code.
(1 pt): Belligerent, drunken hobo. (2 pts if he verbally abuses you personally.)
(1 pt): Patient with BMI > 40 and obesity-related disease.
Section IV: Characters from the House of God to Meet while Shadowing (3 pts)

(1 pt): Cynical but ultimately caring resident or fellow. (2 pts for GI fellow; 3 pts if also high BMI.)
(1 pt): Overworked intern at the end of his or her rope.
(1 pt): Philosophical non-physician. (2 pts for a police officer, guard or orderly; 3 pts if Irish.)
(1 pt): A Yellow Man. (No, jaundiced only).

(1 pt): Little old lady in no apparent distress.
(1 pt): Intern who precipitates an Ortho Service transfer by lowering the bed rails.
Section V: Activities to Do (0 pts)
(1 pt): Being splashed with any bodily fluid or other unpleasant substance.
(1 pt): Asking a question. (-1 pt if you asked "Do you think she has lung cancer?" in front of the patient. -2 pts if you were correct.)
(-1 pt): Asking a question based on partial understanding of a textbook you secretly consulted while studying for your shadowing experience. Wait, you studied for shadowing? Oy.
(1 pt): Being mistaken for a medical student through no fault of your own. (2 pts if it lead to being pimped. No, you don't get extra points if you knew the correct answer.)
(-10 pts): Being mistaken for a doctor because you wore a white coat. Tool.
(1 pt): Taking any kind of HIPAA training.
(1 pt): Going to lunch with the doctor. (2 pts if lunch is an energy bar eaten hurriedly while on
the way to a midday conference.)
(-1 pt): Following the doctor to the bathroom. (-2 pts if different gender.)
(-2 pts): Following the doctor to the parking lot to assess his or her choice of vehicle.
(-3 pts): Following the doctor home to assess lifestyle of his or her specialty.
(1 pt): Discussing malpractice concerns with the doctor. (-2 points if you make the doctor cry.)
(1 pt): Starting a discussion about medical ethics in the workroom. (2 pts for causing a heated argument over the issue between at least two people not including yourself.)
Section VI: Places at which to Shadow (3 pts)
(1 pt): Private practice
(1 pt): Academic medical center
(1 pt): Inner-city hospital. (2 pts if you shadow in the Emergency Department.)
(2 pts): Free clinic.
Section VII: Diseases, Symptoms and Unpleasant Procedures to See (5 pts)
(1 pt): Anything that smells really bad. (No points if you barfed or ran from the room.)
(1 pt): Colonoscopy. (2 pts if prep was lousy.)
(1 pt): Any deformity. (2 pts if hideous.)
(1 pt): Blood, not in vial or bag. (2 pts if emitted from the alimentary canal.)
(2 pts): Code Brown.
(1 pt): 10/10 pain. (2 pts if 11/10 or greater and "allergic" to all non-narcotic analgesics.)
(0 pts): Adorable child with minor, self-limiting cold.
(1 pt): Any disease presently fashionable with celebrities.
(1 pt): Any poor people disease that can be discussed empathetically in your personal statement.
(1 pt): A delivery. (Of an infant, not pizza.)

YOUR TOTAL SCORE: ____ points.
0-14 I hope you like tropical islands...
15-24 Shadow more. Don't waste time on SDN, start bothering doctors now!
25-35 You're golden.
36+ Better to stop shadowing - you might become prematurely cynical.
*Warranty void in California or in the absence of 40+ MCAT, 3.9+ GPA, glowing letters of recommendation from Nobelprize winning physician-scientists, and over nine thousand hours of reasonably convincing simulations of altruism.

Credit to SDNer Gnome, but with minor editing.​

Last edited:
Section I: Kinds of Doctors to Shadow (4 pts)
==>(2 pt) Whatever kind of primary care specialty you can best pretend to be interested in.
(1 pt) Academic physician, any specialty.
(1 pt) Whatever specialty you are actually interested in at this minute.
==>(1 pt) A surgeon of any kind. (Ophthalmologists and Mohs surgeons do not count.)
(0 pts) Radiologist, pathologist, or other specialist who is not in the same room with the patient.
(-1 pt) Plastic surgeon, dermatologist, or other frivolous, well-compensated specialist.
(1 pt) Any one doctor for more than 40 hours total.
Section II: Events to Observe (6 pts)
(1 pt) CODE BLUE! (2 pts if the code was actually called for logistical reasons. -4 pts if you
caused the code.)
(2 pt) Doctor telling a tearful relative "there's nothing more we can do." (Note: a tactful pre-med will wait until out of the family's sight to check off this list item.)
==>(1 pt) Surgery, or procedure by medicine sub-specialist wearing scrubs. (Repeatable, max 4 pts.)
==>(1 pt) Clinic day. (Repeatable, max 4 pts.)
==>(1 pt) Rounds. (Repeatable, max 4 pts.)
(1 pt) Grand rounds or conference. (2 pts for transplant selection meeting or similar.)

Section III: Kinds of Patients to See (4 pts)
(1 pt): Drug-seeker. (2 pts if a legitimately painful organic disease complicates things.)
(1 pt): Person on welfare with # of progeny / # of teeth ratio in excess of unity.
(1 pt): Patient with self-inflicted disease. (2 pts if it can be blamed on society or membership in underserved community in your personal statement. N.B. fatties don't count.)
(2 pts): Any malingerer who is not specifically a drug-seeker.
(1 pt): Floridly psychotic patient.
(3 pts): Indigent patient with a medical problem that is in no way their fault, who is a victim of the backward American insurance system. Great personal statement fodder.
(2 pts): 90 y/o demented patient who is full code.
(1 pt): Belligerent, drunken hobo. (2 pts if he verbally abuses you personally.)
(1 pt): Patient with BMI > 40 and obesity-related disease.
Section IV: Characters from the House of God to Meet while Shadowing (3 pts)
(1 pt): Cynical but ultimately caring resident or fellow. (2 pts for GI fellow; 3 pts if also high BMI.)
(1 pt): Overworked intern at the end of his or her rope.
(1 pt): Philosophical non-physician. (2 pts for a police officer, guard or orderly; 3 pts if Irish.)
(1 pt): A Yellow Man. (No, jaundiced only).
(1 pt): Little old lady in no apparent distress.
(1 pt): Intern who precipitates an Ortho Service transfer by lowering the bed rails.

Section V: Activities to Do (0 pts)
==>(1 pt): Being splashed with any bodily fluid or other unpleasant substance.
(1 pt): Asking a question. (-1 pt if you asked "Do you think she has lung cancer?" in front of the patient. -2 pts if you were correct.)
(-1 pt): Asking a question based on partial understanding of a textbook you secretly consulted while studying for your shadowing experience. Wait, you studied for shadowing? Oy.
(1 pt): Being mistaken for a medical student through no fault of your own. (2 pts if it lead to being pimped. No, you don't get extra points if you knew the correct answer.)
(-10 pts): Being mistaken for a doctor because you wore a white coat. Tool.
==>(1 pt): Taking any kind of HIPAA training.
==>(1 pt): Going to lunch with the doctor. (2 pts if lunch is an energy bar eaten hurriedly while on
the way to a midday conference.)
(-1 pt): Following the doctor to the bathroom. (-2 pts if different gender.)
(-2 pts): Following the doctor to the parking lot to assess his or her choice of vehicle.
(-3 pts): Following the doctor home to assess lifestyle of his or her specialty.
==>(1 pt): Discussing malpractice concerns with the doctor. (-2 points if you make the doctor cry.)
(1 pt): Starting a discussion about medical ethics in the workroom. (2 pts for causing a heated argument over the issue between at least two people not including yourself.)

Section VI: Places at which to Shadow (3 pts)
==>(1 pt): Private practice
(1 pt): Academic medical center
(1 pt): Inner-city hospital. (2 pts if you shadow in the Emergency Department.)
==>(2 pts): Free clinic.

Section VII: Diseases, Symptoms and Unpleasant Procedures to See (5 pts)
(1 pt): Anything that smells really bad. (No points if you barfed or ran from the room.)
==>==>(1 pt): Colonoscopy. (2 pts if prep was lousy.)
(1 pt): Any deformity. (2 pts if hideous.)
(1 pt): Blood, not in vial or bag. (2 pts if emitted from the alimentary canal.)
(2 pts): Code Brown.
(1 pt): 10/10 pain. (2 pts if 11/10 or greater and "allergic" to all non-narcotic analgesics.)
(0 pts): Adorable child with minor, self-limiting cold.
(1 pt): Any disease presently fashionable with celebrities.
==>(1 pt): Any poor people disease that can be discussed empathetically in your personal statement.
(1 pt): A delivery. (Of an infant, not pizza.)

YOUR TOTAL SCORE: _15___ points.

0-14 I hope you like tropical islands...
15-24 Shadow more. Don't waste time on SDN, start bothering doctors now!
25-35 You're golden.
36+ Better to stop shadowing - you might become prematurely cynical.
*Warranty void in California or in the absence of 40+ MCAT, 3.9+ GPA, glowing letters of recommendation from Nobelprize winning physician-scientists, and over nine thousand hours of reasonably convincing simulations of altruism.

Only 15 points? Dangit.

1) Shadowing proves you've actually experienced what a doctor deals with day in and day out. Many people roll their eyes at this because they've done SO much research they can't imagine what the difference is.

I draw an analogy from Call of Duty. Some people have played those games so much that they can name guns by sight, and how much ammo it should take, and so forth. Such people actually think that they could pick up the gun and just start shooting. Then, when they actually get the chance to fire a silly bolt-action .22, they realize they don't even know how to release the magazine, despite having seen it done thousands of times, and that setting of a small explosion near your head is actually more difficult than they thought. You can't figure out how to operate even a simple gun until you get your hands on one, and you can't claim to have any idea what it's like to be a doctor until you're actually walking with one.

2) Shadowing is one of the best ways (and only ways, in some regards) to get to know a doctor in a purely professional manner well enough to get a quality letter. A doctor simply can't get to know you well enough as just a patient to write a good letter. Shadowing offers you the chance to talk with a doctor, see how they work, and for them to talk to you about the work as they're actually doing it.

3) Shadowing gives you the ability to say that you've actually explored certain career pathways. For instance, are you absolutely sure that you know what an infectious disease doctor actually does day in and day out? Do they tend to leave the office? Do they see the same patients over and over, or do they generally get new patients? What sorts of problems do they see the most often? What's the average age of their patients? What does an average meeting with an ID doc actually consist of?

All in all, it's not so much about shadowing, and more about what shadowing allows you to say that you've experienced. It's certainly possible to get these experiences from other places, and if you can, great. But chances are that if you are unable to get shadowing opportunities lined up, you're probably going to have an even harder time getting any substitute experiences lined up.

And yes, HIPPA makes things difficult, but not impossible. I circumvented the issue early on by getting a CNA license over the summer, and even though it's no longer current, it's usually good enough to convince people that I'm cleared on the HIPPA issues. HIPPA problems usually go away if the doctor simply asks the patient ahead of time if it's okay that you're in the room during the appt. This can be annoying if you're following a primary care doc, as they tend to see a TON of patients, but if you're following a specialist that has 30-minute blocks, it can be less of an issue.