Has anyone been accepted to LECOM using their AIS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Midom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title says it!

Members don't see this ad.

This won't answer your question exactly but I know people that have been accepted into the post bac without an MCAT score, and I think they still get their conditional acceptance into the program without the MCAT if their AIS is high enough

I received an interview at LECOM with only AIS. I was told that the April MCAT I was planning on taking wouldn't be considered by the school for this cycle, so to just apply with the AIS, and if I get accepted GREAT, if not take the MCAT fall 2016 and apply next cycle. So I did exactly that, and currently I am awaiting their final decision. I was contacted by the addcom following my interview and told that they needed my spring transcripts and all my letters to render their final decision. I saw this as a very positive correspondence, since if they were going to reject me they would have just rejected me, I saw it as, "as long as you do well this spring you are looking good!" Maybe that is just me being optimistic! Lol. Well I will post when I find out the verdict!! Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Academic Index Score. It is calculated by LECOM, or you can calculate it for yourself on their website, using your cumulative GPA and your SAT and or ACT scores. Best of luck! An acceptable AIS is 109-110, the highest possible is around 140. Don't quote me on the 140, I can't recall the exact top score.

142 is a perfect score on the AIS. That is 1600SAT & 4.0 GPA.

Academic Index Score. It is calculated by LECOM, or you can calculate it for yourself on their website, using your cumulative GPA and your SAT and or ACT scores. Best of luck! An acceptable AIS is 109-110, the highest possible is around 140. Don't quote me on the 140, I can't recall the exact top score.

Two questions:

I already took the MCAT and submitted that score with app which is being verified--can I still only apply to LECOM via AIS since it would be higher than my MCAT (497)

Second, how do you know that a 109 to 110 is acceptable? I just calculated mine using the ACT and my overall college GPA and it was 115.

Changed the score to alter the AIS, and with sat & GPA 110 is lowest that it says meets requirements, with act & GPA 109 is the lowest it says meets requirements.

I doubt you can recall your submitted MCAT score, but if they ask for a secondary at that point you can provide your sat/act scores. I would also reach out to them and tell them you would like to use the AIS system instead of or along with your MCAT.

Are you just now submitting for 2017 or are you awaiting a decision for this cycle?

I am submitting for this cycle.

I called Lake Erie about this--she said as much as you did that I cannot recall my MCAT. It is weird--the cutoff to receive secondary is 495, so I meet that, but obviously I don't know what that means beyond, i.e getting an II maybe. But the woman I spoke with said the lowest AIS student accepted that she could recall, or not the lowest but the average as far as she recalled was a 114 to 120 so it was fairly wide. She said I could relay my AIS on my secondary or send a separate email. Whether or not they look at it is anyone's guess.

Emailed. Response:

We want the ACT score earned during your high school years, so there is no expiration.

You may submit either SAT or ACT or both. To do the calculation, we really only need one.

We have interviewed applicants with the minimum score of 110.

Will this AIS be calculated in our secondaries?? My MCATs are 501 & 500 so not the best...I did great on my SAT though (~94th percentile) so this could help.

Will this AIS be calculated in our secondaries?? My MCATs are 501 & 500 so not the best...I did great on my SAT though (~94th percentile) so this could help.

I sent an email to the admissions peeps, about how to send them the scores. I'll let you know when I find out ^^)

Reactions: 1 user
does AIS use cgpa before grade replacement or after?

Members don't see this ad :)
It uses your cGpa from AACOMAS and is done with your secondary. If offered an interview, you need to send the official SAT/ACT scores to the school. Hope that helps. Good luck to all!!

Does anyone know what a minimum AIS score (e.g., around 109-110) correlates with on the MCAT? For example, is an AIS of 109 roughly equivalent to an MCAT score of 26 (on the old scale)?

BTW, does anyone know if there are any other DO programs out there besides LECOM that allow people to apply with an AIS-type score in lieu of the MCAT?

I don't know of a direct correlation between MCAT & AIS. As far as other schools LECOM is the only one I am aware of I have however heard that Dartmouth and the Icahn school of medicine in NY have programs that don't require it. Flexmed is the Ny one, Dartmouth says the MCAT isn't mandatory for acceptance. I also believe several Canadian medical schools accept students without it. Please feel free to double check me though. I would also look into linkage programs if you just hate standardized testing but excell in the core sciences, I believe there are programs that guarantee admission to their medical school for students with certain gpa' without MCAT. Others do require MCAT but if you get a certain GPA & MCAT you are guaranteed admission or interview at least. Best of luck to all!! Stay positive.

One other question -- if someone took the SAT in highschool but not the ACT, can they actually take the ACT now and apply with an AIS based on their ACT?

I wish, I bet we would all get close to perfect scores!! Lol. The SAT/ACT are for pre-college students only. You can apply through the AIS system with one or both scores. So if you only have the SAT, or the ACT, you are all good!

Just to clarify, you only "need" one score plus your GPA. ACT/GPA or SAT/GPA.

I wish, I bet we would all get close to perfect scores!! Lol. The SAT/ACT are for pre-college students only. You can apply through the AIS system with one or both scores. So if you only have the SAT, or the ACT, you are all good!

Just to clarify, you only "need" one score plus your GPA. ACT/GPA or SAT/GPA.

From what I was told by a LECOM admissions counselor, any applicants can apply via the AIS system, even those who have already graduated from college. Also, I don't know what LECOM's policy is on this, but I did some research last night, and it turns out that anyone, even an adult who has already graduated from college, can take the ACT/SAT. But I wonder if LECOM would allow someone to apply via the AIS system if they took ACT/SAT as an adult applicant?

Email states that if your MCAT is below 495 or if you have not taken the MCAT, and they will email you explaining how to submit ACT/SAT scores.

Again, they only accept ACT or SAT scores from High School. You cannot retake the ACT or SAT out of highschool.

Email states that if your MCAT is below 495 or if you have not taken the MCAT, and they will email you explaining how to submit ACT/SAT scores.

Again, they only accept ACT or SAT scores from High School. You cannot retake the ACT or SAT out of highschool.

Did you receive an email after submitting AIS form that you didn't mean the requirements for a supplemental app?

Okay going to ask a stupid question since there are a million versions for that abbreviation. What the heck is AIS?

do you have any information on it such as how many people are accepted using it?
Honestly I don't know. I pulled out of my LECOM apps early last cycle after some input from classmates that had interviewed/been accepted. I'll shoot them a message and if they have any information I'll post it here.

Is there a way to do this even if its above? I have a 26 and a 502, although my most recent attempt was 489 for w.e reason, I really dont know. But my highschool GPA was like a 3.6 and my SAT score was 2000 or something around that.

Exactly when during the app process are you able to use AIS in lieu of MCAT scores?

Also, does anyone have any insight into why this is even an option? I figure a medical college admission test would be a better indicator... Haha.

Is there a way to do this even if its above? I have a 26 and a 502, although my most recent attempt was 489 for w.e reason, I really dont know. But my highschool GPA was like a 3.6 and my SAT score was 2000 or something around that.

My impression is that if your MCAT score is the only thing that is holding you back, they will ask for an AIS.
They will seek you out and tell you your next steps and if you are qualified for AIS.

But that is what I think. I don't qualify for AIS because I scored above the 495 on a retake. Still I have a low MCAT, and wish they could take my AIS score instead.

So back to the original question - did anyone get accepted using the AIS? and does the AIS use the cGPA or the sGPA + ACT/SAT?

So back to the original question - did anyone get accepted using the AIS? and does the AIS use the cGPA or the sGPA + ACT/SAT?

I think its a new thing that just started this year. So no one can answer this question.

"This year, LECOM has implemented the Academic Index Score (AIS) which uses undergraduate and graduate grade point averages in formula calculation with your ACT and/or SAT (Critical Reading and Math scores only). The AIS may be used in consideration of offering interviews to LECOM applicants who have scored lower than their desired MCAT performance or who have not taken the MCAT. The ACT and/or SAT must have been taken while you were enrolled in high school and cannot be taken or retaken to improve the AIS score."

really?! I thought they had this for the past 1 or 2 cycles. hmmm maybe I was thinking of something else.

I think its a new thing that just started this year. So no one can answer this question.

"This year, LECOM has implemented the Academic Index Score (AIS) which uses undergraduate and graduate grade point averages in formula calculation with your ACT and/or SAT (Critical Reading and Math scores only). The AIS may be used in consideration of offering interviews to LECOM applicants who have scored lower than their desired MCAT performance or who have not taken the MCAT. The ACT and/or SAT must have been taken while you were enrolled in high school and cannot be taken or retaken to improve the AIS score."

That's out of date. They have had it for 2+ cycles I believe. Do a search here and you can find threads about it from a few years ago

Not sure if anyone knows and Im not trying to downplay the school but I was told that LECOM is probably one of the easiest to get into? My DO shadow physician infact said they take alot more students than they can actually handle. Little concerned because how high are the standards now?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Do you happen to know how successful people have been using that?

I have never heard of any. Not even an anecdote. I only know a couple of corrent students but they all say they have never heard of it or don't know of any classmates who have. If it happens at all the number must be really small, like n<5.

Not sure if anyone knows and Im not trying to downplay the school but I was told that LECOM is probably one of the easiest to get into? My DO shadow physician infact said they take alot more students than they can actually handle. Little concerned because how high are the standards now?
[/QUOTE]

That info may be a little out of date. LECOM has gotten more competitive recently. I think it's a combination of having the lowest tuition and having some of the highest board scores. Didn't LECOM-B have like a 29 MCAT average this year? The other two are ~27-28.

All this AIS stuff and the lower standards for the PA bridge seem to just be geared toward helping out nontrads, which is kind of what DO schools have always been about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I asked some of my former classmates that are at LECOM. They are unaware of anyone getting an acceptance based solely on that. They said that it was simply considered in addition to the other components of the application, and could make up for poor performance elsewhere.

That's out of date. They have had it for 2+ cycles I believe. Do a search here and you can find threads about it from a few years ago

Haha that's weird. That was quoted from an email I received from them, but that's okay.

LECOM secondary states "If using the LECOM Academic Index Score, request official SAT/ACT scores only if you are invited to interview"

So there it is, not the original question but more info the better.

Lecom has a solid match list last year. Everything i was looking for (more than just FM/IM). I would be ecstatic to get an acceptance here.

LECOM secondary states "If using the LECOM Academic Index Score, request official SAT/ACT scores only if you are invited to interview"

So there it is, not the original question but more info the better.
So do you self report them and send official scores after?

So do you self report them and send official scores after?

Yup, in the secondaries you self report but they say it will not affect your application. Then they say we will ask you for your official score if you are invited for an interview.

Yup, in the secondaries you self report but they say it will not affect your application. Then they say we will ask you for your official score if you are invited for an interview.
Not affect your application meaning until they actually evaluate it for acceptance?

Not affect your application meaning until they actually evaluate it for acceptance?

I think you self report, they evaluate your application as a whole, and look at your AIS if they want you to interview.
You'll see when you get the secondary :)

Anyone have any updates on anyone being accepted this cycle with solely the AIS and no MCAT?

I received an interview at LECOM with only AIS. I was told that the April MCAT I was planning on taking wouldn't be considered by the school for this cycle, so to just apply with the AIS, and if I get accepted GREAT, if not take the MCAT fall 2016 and apply next cycle. So I did exactly that, and currently I am awaiting their final decision. I was contacted by the addcom following my interview and told that they needed my spring transcripts and all my letters to render their final decision. I saw this as a very positive correspondence, since if they were going to reject me they would have just rejected me, I saw it as, "as long as you do well this spring you are looking good!" Maybe that is just me being optimistic! Lol. Well I will post when I find out the verdict!! Good luck to all!

Hey! did you get accepted with your AIS Score? Hopeful applicant wants ta know!

Two questions:

I already took the MCAT and submitted that score with app which is being verified--can I still only apply to LECOM via AIS since it would be higher than my MCAT (497)

Second, how do you know that a 109 to 110 is acceptable? I just calculated mine using the ACT and my overall college GPA and it was 115.
Hey did you end up geting into lecom with a 115 AIS? My AIS is also a 115. I have a 3.6 gpa and 25 ACT.