PhD/PsyD Has anyone been admitted without publication before grad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tlaflgkr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As title asks, has anyone been accepted to a doctorate program in psychology without any publications, undergraduate thesis, or poster conferences/presentations? If so, what part of your application do you think made the difference?

I ask because all my research experience is restricted to the basics (data collection, subject recruitment, literature review) while everything else is good (gpa, gre, clinical experience, lor), and I want to know if what I currently think is the impossible has been possible before (admission without publications, especially to clinical psych program). Thanks for all contributions!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I was admitted to an R1 clinical PhD without any of these. I was working on some things for the professor I was accepted under though.

Like WisNeuro, I was admitted to a funded PhD program at a large state uni without any undergraduate research products. As for what part of my application made up for this, I'd say it was a decent GRE, my essay, and a POI with whom I got along well during and after the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not have any publications, but I had a few posters (2-3). I'm in an R1 Ph.D. program and this is not uncommon here. But I did have research experience, including 2 post-bac years as an RA in a respected lab.

R1 funded PhD right out of undergrad, no pubs. I actually got into a number of schools and had my pick of an attractive group of offers. Hard to speculate on what made up for it, but I had good UG research experience, strong GPA from a top-notch university, and more than one interviewer commented on the strength of one of my recommendations, in particular.

In the interest of full disclosure, it has been a while since I applied to school (15 yrs!)

Good luck to you!!

I didn't have any pubs when I was admitted to my PhD programme. I had an MA in an unrelated field with a few posters, but I'm sure it was mostly because it was a very good match in terms of research interests.