PhD/PsyD Has anyone been admitted without publication before grad?

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by tlaflgkr, 10.01.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. tlaflgkr

tlaflgkr

Pre-Psychology
    As title asks, has anyone been accepted to a doctorate program in psychology without any publications, undergraduate thesis, or poster conferences/presentations? If so, what part of your application do you think made the difference?

I ask because all my research experience is restricted to the basics (data collection, subject recruitment, literature review) while everything else is good (gpa, gre, clinical experience, lor), and I want to know if what I currently think is the impossible has been possible before (admission without publications, especially to clinical psych program). Thanks for all contributions!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. WisNeuro

WisNeuro Neuropsychologist 7+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Verified
    Psychologist
    Yes, I was admitted to an R1 clinical PhD without any of these. I was working on some things for the professor I was accepted under though.

4. AcronymAllergy

AcronymAllergy Neuropsychologist SDN Moderator 5+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Verified
    Psychologist
    Like WisNeuro, I was admitted to a funded PhD program at a large state uni without any undergraduate research products. As for what part of my application made up for this, I'd say it was a decent GRE, my essay, and a POI with whom I got along well during and after the interview.

5. sardonic

sardonic 2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I did not have any publications, but I had a few posters (2-3). I'm in an R1 Ph.D. program and this is not uncommon here. But I did have research experience, including 2 post-bac years as an RA in a respected lab.

6. Doctor Eliza

Doctor Eliza 5+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Verified
    Psychologist
    R1 funded PhD right out of undergrad, no pubs. I actually got into a number of schools and had my pick of an attractive group of offers. Hard to speculate on what made up for it, but I had good UG research experience, strong GPA from a top-notch university, and more than one interviewer commented on the strength of one of my recommendations, in particular.

In the interest of full disclosure, it has been a while since I applied to school (15 yrs!)

Good luck to you!!

7. S8N

S8N Banned Banned Account on Hold

MD/PhD Student
    I didn't have any pubs when I was admitted to my PhD programme. I had an MA in an unrelated field with a few posters, but I'm sure it was mostly because it was a very good match in terms of research interests.

About the ads