Mewcakes

SCO c/o 2014
Feb 10, 2010
Mewing at cakes
Status
Optometry Student
I know I'm not really answering your question, but we (SCO) are the 3rd most applied to school, so I'm sure there are many who have been turned down. I doubt that they gave you reason if they turned you down in a snail mail letter, but I'm sure that's just a pre-formatted letter. The people in admission would be more than happy discuss your application with you. They can tell you where, in their opinion, you were strong/weak in your app. Talk to either Sunnie Ewing or Mike Robertson. There's a reason they're up in admissions...they're two of the nicest people EVER.

PinkCupcake

All Hail the Queen
Oct 6, 2012
Status
Optometry Student
I have an interview with SCO coming up later this month. Do they have your full application (they won't tell you anything unless they have everything in hand)?

OP
O

optometrygirl29

5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2012
Puerto Rico
Status
Optometry Student
I have confirmed that they have all of my completed application and that was quite a while ago. I just figured it it was going to be a rejection i would have been rejected by now or is it that they wait until the very last minute and deny applicants at once? thats why i was wondering if anyone received a rejection notice since i have not heard from them at all. do you mind telling me your states...(gap, oat score, extra curricula's) im just curious. thank you

Mewcakes

SCO c/o 2014
Feb 10, 2010
Mewing at cakes
Status
Optometry Student
Oh, they utilize rolling applications. So they review applications and offer interview invitations as they come in. Likewise, if an applicant is not up to par, they will let you know promptly. The class of 2017 is almost full, I believe, so if they don't think you're a strong enough applicant, they won't make you hang on for very long. Sorry, I didn't mean to assume that you had been rejected. For some reason, that's what I thought had happened when I read the original post. Good luck!

OP
O

optometrygirl29

5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2012
Puerto Rico
Status
Optometry Student
No worries I realize I'm not the strongest candidate so I was wondering how long it took to hear from them I kinda felt like I was going to be rejected but it hasnt happened so I don't know what to think

Aug 2, 2012
Status
Optometry Student
I think there are about 30 seats left
We have 30 seats left according to the facebook group, but that could be misleading. I was accepted to SCO in early October but I did not decide where I was going until the end of November.

Mewcakes

SCO c/o 2014
Feb 10, 2010
Mewing at cakes
Status
Optometry Student
There are ~100 seats taken, but as of Wednesday, we've sent 126 acceptances out. I'm not sure how many of those are still standing or if that includes people who have said "thanks, but no thanks".

OP
O

optometrygirl29

5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2012
Puerto Rico
Status
Optometry Student
=/ well i highly doubt id be one of the 30 since i havent heard from them i suppose its safe to assume that i didnt get in i emailed mike robertson and he said he wasnt going to make any decisions on my file until march 1st.....

Mewcakes

SCO c/o 2014
Feb 10, 2010
Mewing at cakes
Status
Optometry Student
Well, I know the admissions committee meets every once in a while and that's when they make admissions decisions. When I was doing this song and dance, I interviewed around February 28th and didn't get an acceptance until April. I wasn't ever put on the wait list, but I was never turned down either. It doesn't sound like they've extended an interview to you yet (from your previous posts), but I'm not sure how they do those decisions... Just be patient, it'll be here before you know it.

OP
O

optometrygirl29

5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2012
Puerto Rico
Status
Optometry Student
Im trying to be patient its just that i have an interview friday for IAUPR (not my top choice) and NOVA for their POP program(would rather go to a 4yr traditional program even if it meant going to PR) but i just feel that at this point they would have come to a decision. When I emailed Mike he clearly said i may not be the strongest candidate but that didnt mean i was rejected...yet...that i had to wait until the deadline and then they would make a decision and they were still reviewing my file......im kind of unique difficult candidate to access i realize that my grades arent the best but i have been in the field sooooo long and have a great deal of experience.....so i dont know i guess i will have to learn to be patient

PinkCupcake

All Hail the Queen
Oct 6, 2012
Status
Optometry Student
What are your stats if you don't mind me asking? (feel free to PM if need be)

Feb 26, 2013
Status
Pre-Optometry
As of yesterday there has been 122 deposits at SCO...so only about 8 seats are open. The committee is meeting again next Monday.

Feb 26, 2013
Status
Pre-Optometry
Yes is it! My application was put on hold as well, did Mr. Robertson say anything else to you in his email saying that your file was placed on hold?

Jun 8, 2012
Status
Pre-Optometry
When you say your application is on hold, do you mean they've interviewed you already and they just haven't made a decision yet?

OP
O

optometrygirl29

5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2012
Puerto Rico
Status
Optometry Student
i am in the same boat i suppose mine is on hold i talked to mike robertson and he said "we are still in the processing of reviewing your application" no interview no letter of rejection nothing coming from them either but i dont know how often they meet should i just take this as a sign that im not going to get in?