godawgs39

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2005
Status
Medical Student
I am currently a fourth year Biomedical Engineering student with a decent gpa (3.56), which I have worked hard to bring up up from a not so great 3.01 gpa freshman year. Following my junior year I finally realized that medicine, rather than engineering, was my true calling. Due to my late decision, however, I did not have time to prepare for the MCAT so I moved all of my senior level engineering courses back a year. Currently, I am taking a fairly light schedule while preparing for the MCAT and certain questions have begun to enter my mind. Do I really want to stick with engineering and take a full year of classes that do not interest me all? The answer is no, for I have honestly lost nearly all interest in engineering since I have no plans on using it.

I have done some research and determined that I would be able to transfer into the College of Biomedical Sciences following this semester and complete the degree requirements by the end of next spring. I am determined to go to Medical School and as of right now, my plans if I do not get in are to go to Grad School and retake the MCAT. The engineering degree may be more impressive, but I have no plans to use it and would much rather take classes that interest me and that are enjoyable. I realize that I have already put in 3 years into engineering, so my fear is that interviewers would think that I do not stick with things or that I might change my mind about medicine in a couple years (which is not the case). If I change majors, my plans would be to do the change immediately following this semester, so before I would apply to med school.

Has anyone here switched majors after the MCAT but before applying/interviewing? I have talked to some people that think I should do what is best for me and others that think I should stick with it after putting in 3 years. Hopefully, I am not the only person here that has considered or done this. If this was your story, please let me know what the results were. Thank you in advance for your help!

Rick

shawty ya'head

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2004
Status
i have went through the same dilemma as you did. i was also a BME major was a similar gpa at a good undergrad.

i stuck with it, did ok on the MCAT and got into med school this year.

Good luck.

I say stick with it, it will be respected by admissions officers. engineering degrees are at the least considered honorable due to their relatively intense curriculum.

OP
G

godawgs39

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for the advice, shawty, I'm meeting with a dean from the other college tomorrow just to see if it's even possible. I'm still deciding what to do. Has anyone gone through this and changed their major?