Has Anyone Chosen NYU over Another School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BBear008

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has/had chosen NYU over another school such as their state school, Tufts, BU, etc. With all of the negative propaganda, what made you choose the school? I personally know two very successful dentists who graduated from NYU and say that it is a very good school to go to. If anyone can give their reson for attending NYU and why one should or should not attend, that would be amazing! Thank you!!:)

Members don't see this ad.

If the school wasn't so obnoxiously expensive, people wouldnt be so down on nyu.

If i were a trust fund baby, middle-eastern prince or oil tycoon, it probably wouldnve been my first choice. With most students' situations, state schools jsut make a little bit more sense. If you can get past the price tag, dont let the "negative propaganda" on this site sway your choice. It seems like it would be an awesome place to learn dentistry.

In my case, I didn't worry about the cost too much... I am going to be on an Air Force scholarship, so I tried to look at the school itself. It wasn't a hard decision for me to NOT choose NYU. I think a lot of it is your personal taste though... I don't think I would have enjoyed living in Manhattan. Plus, all of my family and friends are on the west coast, so it would have been hard to move so far away. I also was not very impressed with the school.. the class size is almost uncomfortably large.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are really two things that people don't like about NYU

1) is the price and I think thats pretty universal

2) the class size makes it a bit cut throat at times and intense. NYU offers some awesome advanced placement programs for the fourth year (can spend time in a speciality clinic for an example) and has some of the best research. So if your not ultra motivated its possible you could get lost in the shuffle. Alot of people don't like that kind of enviornment but if your ultra motivated NYU does have some perks (if you want to push for post grad programs).

But if you have the cash and you love competition then NYU is a pretty legit place. I was impressed with the clinics some of the best I've seen and the speciality suits are amazing.

I accepted at NYU and am turning down Indiana and Case.

I'm not 100% on NYU yet tho, as I am still waiting to hear from my current school in Canada (just interviewed there last week). Def not looking forward to making the toughest decision of my life if i get into UBC...

I'm not 100% on NYU yet tho, as I am still waiting to hear from my current school in Canada (just interviewed there last week). Def not looking forward to making the toughest decision of my life if i get into UBC...

I got Indiana, Case, NYU and I initially choose NYU over Indiana but now I have Case so I am going to Case over NYU

I got Indiana, Case, NYU and I initially choose NYU over Indiana but now I have Case so I am going to Case over NYU
Have you guys seen Case? Each student gets their own op. Why worry about scheduling nightmares if you can just walk right in and know your op will be ready? Though, I don't like Case's system of having "study time" built into the schedule. I'm just a fan of knowing that I'm constantly being force-fed information... I guess I learn better that way.

cyber your decision to go to Tufts over all of your other acceptances is reassuring ... I think I also made the right decision.

Back in December I had to choose between USC and NYU. I really didn't like USC's PBL style, specifically how the curriculum isn't as structured. I liked the facilities and building at NYU far better than I liked USC, Indiana, or UF (the only other place I interviewed at that I liked just as much was Nova). Also, USC is more expensive than NYU. So at this point, I would have chosen NYU

But what made my decision was weather. I am the type of person that would probably never leave my apartment to go to campus if it was below 50 degrees (just imagine what would happen to me if it was snowing). I also am not used to public transportation, and as much fun as NYC might be for most people, I think living in a big city is more stressful than fun over the long term. Lastly, most apartments in NY are ****ty for how much you pay. So I chose LA over NY.

Luckily I got into my state school this week so I'll be staying in warm, sunny weather. But with the cold weather not being an issue.. I'm wondering what my new excuse will be for not making it to class...

I'm in exact same boat as you. People just don't understand how important the name is (New York University) later in life. We both have very good chance of getting into UBC since it's 40/80 this year for us ;)

But again, I still won't know where I would attend.

there's one dude on predents this year that took nyu over Columbia

I'm in exact same boat as you. People just don't understand how important the name is (New York University) later in life. We both have very good chance of getting into UBC since it's 40/80 this year for us ;)

But again, I still won't know where I would attend.

Funny, my dad went to NYU for dental school and neither his partner nor office manager (and presumably his patients) didn't know or particularly care that he went to NYU. I mean sure, they know he went to school in NY but "educational pedigree" isn't really something that comes up in day to day dental practice.