Has anyone completed a residency and ended up doing retail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rx2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering how many people do this? A friend of mine just got a residency, but she told me most likely she will end up doing retail after she finishes her PGY1.... Has anyone been turned off by a residency (or couldn't find a clincial job) and ended up doing retail after their PGY1?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A lot of people probably do, especially if you include part-timers. There are PGY1s in community pharmacy you know.

my coresident is burned out and contemplating retail.

I also know people who then moved to a rural area and then had to do retail, but had the residency to fall back on and get a hospital job when they moved back to civilization.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of people probably do, especially if you include part-timers. There are PGY1s in community pharmacy you know.

I'm sorry, I meant in terms of internal medicine residencies.

One of my preceptors when I was in school completed a residency at a VA in Seattle. She moved back to Chicago and couldn't find a job. She took a job with Wags thinking it would be temporary and has worked there ever since. She's now a PIC and loathes it. However, she feels that she can't ever get a job in a clinical setting since it's been so long since she completed her PGY1. I'm crossing my fingers that I don't have to go back to retail. However, it's always possible since the job market is so poor.