Has anyone considered the MSW in addition to the PhD and PsyD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PizzaButt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone is considering the MSW in addition to, or instead of, the PhD and PsyD? While the MSW is shorter, it's my understanding that in order to treat patients they need to take some additional training in addition to the MSW degree. Is that true? Does anyone know how much and what the training involves?

Members don't see this ad.

An MSW would be impractical to get if you have a PhD / PsyD. It wouldn't offer any advantage. As a degree instead of a PhD / PsyD....there have been discussions here, but I'd say that unless you only want to do private practice (limited at that), then a PhD / PsyD would offer you more options....albeit it takes long, more competitive, etc.

HERE is the most recent discussion between an MSW and PsyD. I think it is an apples and oranges comparison, but you can make your own call on that.

-t

Thanks for the link. The "in addition to" was a typo. Sorry about that. I meant instead of. :)