Has anyone considered to take or taken adderall before your MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketbooster

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, I'm not trying to troll.

I ask this because my main problem with the MCAT is a lack of a focus. I think everyone will agree with me that the hardest thing about the VR is keeping focused.

I have never tried adderall or anything of the sort before. If I actually was going to use it on my MCAT, I would of course test it out on a practice test first.

I know doctors claim that adderall only helps with improving alertness and one's focus for ppl with ADHD. this is simply not true, though, based on the countless non-ADHD ppl I know who use it to help them study and say it does them wonders.

so, I'm just curious if anyone has actually tried it on their real MCAT, or is going to, or tried it in practice, etc.? what kind of effect did it have on your score?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not trying to start a fight here. It's just an honest question.

And I know some ppl will try to take it this thread to the level of it being immoral and all that jazz. Yes, I know that argument. I didn't start this thread to start an ethical debate.

I just want to know what experiences ppl have had with it. That's all!

So?

Members don't see this ad :)
Disclaimer: I'm not taking a moral shot at you here, in fact I'm stoked you brought this really big issue up. I'm giving a moral proof of why it's ethically wrong to take performace enhancing drugs not prescribed by a physician.

I think taking anything like that is akin to taking performance enhancing drugs in athletics and is morally wrong, unless it is given by your physician. My reasoning is that it is not equally available to everyone, like coffee and other legal aids. Thus, a certain group of people get an immediate unfair advantage on the test. Also, like most drugs, different people react differently and some people may not get any benefit, or may even be hindered directly by the drug's effect on them. Then a really unfair advantage is created, and those with the correct body-drug match, or luck, win. Then the test becomes less about what it should be and is left up to your ability to get your hands on the stuff and your chance personal reaction to it. Most importantly: Taking performance enhancing drugs is only an advantage because not everyone can do it. If everyone did, than everyone would get more answers right (roughly) and the scores would stay the same: an average of 8 in each section. Thus, taking anything not available to the majority CAN only possibly help because it hurts others.

We all have problems in verbal, and problems paying attention during the test especially toward the end. Thats part of the challenge: learning how to deal with it, and overcoming your own weaknesses. I know it's tempting to try to get that extra edge, or to have something to make you feel better or more ready because you're nervous last min, but since most people don't do it, it comes at their expense. Honest people should not be punished because they cannot, or chose not, to take the same things and instead choose cooperate with normal procedure. If you actually have a bonafied disability, thats an other issue.

To put it in game theory terms, if everyone else is cooperating and you're defecting, your victory comes at everyone else's expense. I think that is morally wrong.

I don't suggest taking any drugs before the test. For me, I was able to focus knowing my future career was on the line.

Sorry I was still writing and didn't see the post right before mine. Dude if you're seriously worried that you have ADD or ADHD go get yourself checked out. Otherwise I stand by my previous post and am a little put off that you know all the moral problems but don't really care.

You're definitely not alone. There was a funny thread a while back on this topic. I remember one of the posters mentioned that it REALLY helped with their concentration. The problem: they concentrated on their pencil :p

Status
Not open for further replies.