Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Has anyone CRAMMED for ORGO in a day?? DESPERATE!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MedChic, Apr 24, 2007.

1. MedChic

MedChic Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Anyone???? I've been so busy with work and other classes/labs that I've screwed myself...Any tips for hardcore 24hr cramming for Orgo??
    Ugh, how do I get myself in these situations...

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast

Pre-Medical
    no I'm pretty sure you're the only person in the history of the world to cram for orgo in one day. :p

good luck though. just try to stay focused and be as efficient as possible.

4. You should try 7-11's Energized Coffee. I don't know how strong it is, but it sounds like it can keep you awake for a good day or so.

Good luck.

5. y8507

wow. :eek: haha.

just memorize mechanisms and reactions/reaction conditions like CRAZY.

6. eikenhein

eikenhein my cat is awesome, his name is bandit
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    I think you need lots and lots of caffeine.

7. thirsty4chicken

thirsty4chicken New Member

Pre-Medical
    I actually did that once.

It was for the first midterm of my last ochem class. I had gone to section that morning and realized that I didn't know half of what had been taught in the first 3 weeks of the quarter, and I had done essentially no work in that class up to that point.

I drank lots of coffee and studied for 13 hours continuously off of old exams (they were made available by the prof).

I ended up getting around 0.75 standard deviations above the mean. :laugh: Ironically, I had more time to study for the second midterm, but didn't do as well.

8. RadMD1day

RadMD1day Cat Scan

Pre-Medical
    I know SDN is addictive ( I should be studying for a bio test tomorrow) but seriously, close the laptop and bust out the notes!!!
    oh, and ummm starbucks!

:luck: good luck!

9. MDAdam

Pre-Medical
    I cannot think straight if I do not get my sleep. If you are the same way, it may be more beneficial to get some shut-eye instead of cramming for 24 hours. And yes, get off the computer and study! Good luck... let us know how the test went when you are done.

10. Ben26TPA

Pre-Medical
    Just lock yourself in a private study room in the library of your college if they have one and stay there with no cell phone, no ipod, no laptop....or anything that would be of a distraction to you.

11. bluesTank

bluesTank Zombie

Medical Student
    First, before understanding any kinds of concepts or whatever, go through all the reactions and mechanisms. Make a note of the ones you don't understand immediatly or at all. Go through them several times and get a good overview of what you're dealing with. Then go through and read through and understand everything. Then go back and look over the reactions and mech's again to make sure you got them all down. Read over everything again and so on, depending on how much time you have. Thats what I usually did over a few days, so try and cram that in.

Good luck

12. bluesTank

bluesTank Zombie

Medical Student
    Also, too much coffee/caffeine will actually impare you're studying ability. Just because it's an all nighter like this, don't overload on caffeine and make yourself all jittery, because that always makes things worse. If you need to, spread out the intake over a long period.

13. joshinjosh

Pre-Medical
    yeaa, i've never studied ochem outside of the day before exams, and i 4.0ed all three quarters. I did it while going to most classes, don't know it that counts. well anyways, for me, i like to write out all the reactions on a list w/ one reaction and it's short descricption (if needed) off to the side (MAKE SURE YOU COVER ALL THE ASPECTS OF THE REACTIONS). I would just memorize it all down the list. Then i would review the key concepts of sterics, structural properties and crap. For me, practice problems will be a waste of time cause there are just too computations of reactions. The most helpful thing i did was to make sure to know all those little tricks and exceptions. also get some sleep tonight and don't let the nerves get to ya.

josh

14. searun

Resident [Any Field]
    Here is what I recommend. Have three really stiff drinks. Then get into a slow breathing rythmn. Lie down on your bed and have your head propped up with 3 pillows Place the orgo text book on the top of your forehead. Start thinking these words over and over again: "Insane in the Membrane." Fall asleep. When you wake up, you will have orgo mastered and will kick ass on the test, but drink some strong coffee before you leave for the test. It works every time. Good luck with orgo. You will be fine.

Searun

15. MedChic

MedChic Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Oh man, thanks guys, I'm getting off the computer as soon as I post this. I procrastinate SOO MUCH da*n it!
    Until JoshinJosh's response I was really kinda surprised more people haven't crammed in 1-2 days....I think I'm just gonna do what bluestank suggested - do all the mechanisms over and over and then go over reactions...I read the chapters and went to all the lectures so I understand everything...It's just a matter of cramming it all into my brain.

Searun, I really, really wish you were right.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. 35m

35m New Member

Study for several hours before going to sleep (review all of the material at least once), so that you can dream about the material while sleeping. Sleep for a full 8 hours.

Starting two hours before the test (or earlier if you are not lazy), review all of the material as quickly as possible, and repeat as many times as possible: the idea is to store all of the information in your short term memory. If possible, do this studying in the test room and in the seat which you plan on taking the test in: choose a lucky seat: prime numbers such as seat 3 or 7 worked for me.

While the tests are being passed out, remove 20 to 30 hand sharpened cedar pencils. Hold the pencils beneath your nose, and inhale the aroma (during the test, repeat this process whenever you need a boost of energy or divine inspiration). Begin the test. You should not be tired. Be excited, yet confident. Pressure has the potential to substantially increase your performance. Focus your concscious thoughts on staying focused and on schedule, while your subconcscoius and hand solves the problems. Complete test. Review answers. Never give up on solving a problem or recalling a fact. Sometimes a fact can be recalled after twenty minutes of trying.

You should begin forgetting the material immediately; it should all be gone when you wake up tommorow.

I used the above process on every memorization heavy test throughout college, and it almost always resulted in A's without any studying beforehand other than going to class.

18. QuakerPreMed

We're the good pre-med students. :smuggrin:

Attempt to concentrate on broad themes. You know, the 1000 things you can do to a carbonyl group, ways to red-ox alcohols/carbonyls, basic mechanisms (everything is just a variation on a few common ones), nomenclature (probably low yield unless you have an insane prof), etc...

19. EBI831

EBI831 legend in the making

Medical Student
    if you're in orgo 2 it should be really easy actually. the mechanisms are all the freaking same just repeated over and over. if it's orgo I, sorry charlie. just memorize them you'll start to see a pattern.

20. Tired

Tired Fading away

Please do not start a thread tomorrow entitled: "Low grade in Orgo - Can I Still Get In?!?!?!?! Help!!!!!"

21. etf

etf
    Moderator Emeritus

:laugh:

(and i don't give those out often...)

22. somemaybedoc

Resident [Any Field]
    If you have any of your old tests from earlier this year, make sure you can do everything on them. There are a lot of patterns to mechanisms so look for them.

I disagree with the post that said no ipod, music helps some people so decide if it will help you.

Take very short breaks to help consolidate information (5-7 min)

Whatever you do, make sure to be a bit rested for the test, if you are too burnt by test time all the knowledge in the world won't help if your aren't able to recall it at the right time.

23. paranoid_eyes

Pre-Medical
    it depends on whether this is ochem 1 or 2.
    ochem 1: seriously, who the hell on this forum HASN'T crammed for the ochem1 midterm/final in one day :laugh:

ochem2: :eek: start memorizing mechanisms (SCREW UNDERSTANDING THEM)

:luck: :luck:

24. LolaGene

Resident [Any Field]
    that was pretty much my second semester...I hope its your first semester because keeping all of the carbony reactions straight is just about hell

25. Dr2Bee

Medical Student
    Cram what u can now and pray to god that there is a fat curve.

26. sagentt007

Pre-Medical
    i studied 1 day for each of my 8 orgo exams - the key is to study 1 chapter and then solve as many reactions and synthesis problems that u have on it - go chapter by chapter

27. nick_carraway

Resident [Any Field]
    This happened to me my first quarter of ochem for the final exam and I had an emotional breakdown around 8 hours before the exam. I had studied so hard for so many hours straight that when my roomie asked me how it was going, I started freaking out.

A trip to In & Out burger solved that panic attack though. The generous curve made it so I never worried about another ochem exam again. Not that that was a helpful attitude for the last class in the series. :rolleyes: