Has anyone done this successfully?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcclesm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to doubt my choice of classes next semester: O. Chem I, Bio II, Genetics, and Human Physiology. They all have labs except genetics. It's 15 hours.

Anyone taken this heavy of a course load successfully? (By that I mean earn all As).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i took physics (+lab), mol bio (+lab), global politics, and microbio i one quarter. it was a lot of work, but I got an A in all the science classes, and go a B in politics.

AMS 301 Finite Mathematical Structures 3.00 B+ 9.990
CME 300 Writing in Chem & Molec Engrg S
CME 310 ChemEng Lab I:Unit Ops &Fndmtl 2.00 B 6.000
CME 312 Material and Energy Balance 3.00 A 12.000
CME 314 Chem Engrng Thermo II 3.00 A 12.000
CME 315 Num Meth and Stat Analysis 3.00 A 12.000
CME 318 Chemical Eng Fluid Mechanics 3.00 A- 11.010
EST 330 Natural Disasters 3.00 A 12.000

Credits = 20.

Couldn't earn all As though. Guess I fail.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally think thats going to be pretty hard. I did orgo and human phys at the same time but adding bio 2 and genetics on top of that is a lot! Also at my school genetics was introduced in bio 2, but I dont know about you. If I were you I'd at least drop genetics and take one easier class. The 3hr labs are going to kill you.

Fall of my junior year I took Cell Biology, Organic I + Lab, Physics I + Lab, Survey of Forensic, a Forensic Science Independent study, worked ~25 hours per week, volunteered ~1-2 hours a day with biology research, and snuck in some shadowing. I only had classes Monday, Wednesday, and Friday (I had Cell Bio 9-10, Organic 10-11, and Physics 11-12). I ended up with a 4.0 that semester. It's definitely do-able.

I took Physics II, A&P, genetics, and Gen Chem II, all with labs, while working nearly full-time and studying for the MCAT. Just missed all A's (got a high B in chemistry), and still managed to take a cruise during spring break.

Yes, I've taken seven science classes (21 hours) in one semester. Some of them were engineering. I did fine, and was able to do the usual partying thursday-saturday. It is possible, you just have to be relatively disciplined during the weekdays.

AMS 301 Finite Mathematical Structures 3.00 B+ 9.990
CME 300 Writing in Chem & Molec Engrg S
CME 310 ChemEng Lab I:Unit Ops &Fndmtl 2.00 B 6.000
CME 312 Material and Energy Balance 3.00 A 12.000
CME 314 Chem Engrng Thermo II 3.00 A 12.000
CME 315 Num Meth and Stat Analysis 3.00 A 12.000
CME 318 Chemical Eng Fluid Mechanics 3.00 A- 11.010
EST 330 Natural Disasters 3.00 A 12.000

Credits = 20.

Couldn't earn all As though. Guess I fail.

epic failure. lol.

this is similar to my schedule and performance.

You'll be just fine if you work hard. I took 3 labs almost every semester in college and did better than my freshman year when I didn't have lab.

I'm starting to doubt my choice of classes next semester: O. Chem I, Bio II, Genetics, and Human Physiology. They all have labs except genetics. It's 15 hours.

Anyone taken this heavy of a course load successfully? (By that I mean earn all As).

Thanks!

Organic will take the majority of your time, but Biology II and Genetics should be really easy and only require some short term memory filling. I took Organic, Biology and Physics together for a year (both semesters of each), it wasn't very difficult. Only Organic takes any real amount of time.

I never take less than 17 credit hours, and found that as long as you allot your time properly (more for organic, less for biology classes), you wont have a problem enjoying your semester and Aceing your classes.

Obviously, people have taken semesters filled with science courses and done well. Others haven't been able to handle the combination as well as they would have handled the individual classes with a lighter load.

Some people actually perform better when they have a challenging schedule.

Get opinions on the individual classes from others in your particular school in order to get a better idea of how challenging they may be for you. Then decide for yourself whether you think you can meet your own academic goals while taking the combo. No one knows your motivation and capabilities the way you do.

BTW, it's good, but not necessary, to make an "A" in every single class and lab.

Btw, It's Good, But Not Necessary, To Make An "a" In Every Single Class And Lab.

LIES!! ITS ALL LIES. If you don't get an A in everything, you might as well go fill out that Taco Bell application.

That schedule is fine. As you may have been able to tell, most of us on this site appear to have taken much more difficult schedules and succeeded.

LIES!! ITS ALL LIES. If you don't get an A in everything, you might as well go fill out that Taco Bell application.
Taco Bell?!!! What about Subway? Do most Subways accept people who haven't gotten all As? Have I destroyed my chances by getting an A-? Will it help my application if I spend a summer in Africa making sandwiches for deaf-mute orphans?

The question is can you do it? Well.....why do not you ask yourself? Everyone is different...hell every class is different. I have had 15 unit semesters when I failed (aka B+) and I have had 19 unit semester when I got 4.0. You are the only person who can truly judge your capacity.

If you ask my opinion, I would say do it. It is doable.

No one can tell you if it is doable or not. Yes, many people have done it - yes, some of them have probably failed horribly while trying to do it while others have passed everything with flying colors.

What does your past course history look like? Have you had an easy time getting good grades AND having time for your life when you've taken fewer classes? If so, you'll probably be fine. If not, seriously reconsider what you are thinking about doing. It's one thing to push yourself a little bit harder than normal, it's a different thing to go from the easy life to something like that.

As a side note: you've probably noticed that many people have responded with with how they have done EVEN MORE than what you are trying to do with no trouble. Keep in mind that threads like this self-select for people who can handle high courseloads, and that these people are a very skewed sample.