Has anyone dropped a course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

semideadperson

Semideadperson
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, are there any posters here who have dropped a course and still gotten into medical school? If so, did your interviewers say anything about it?

Members don't see this ad.

semideadperson said:
Out of curiosity, are there any posters here who have dropped a course and still gotten into medical school? If so, did your interviewers say anything about it?

you can't be admitted to medical school if you've ever dropped an undergraduate course. any dummy knows that!

Yes, I dropped one the first semester of my freshman year. It never came up. In general, one or two won't hurt unless they're the prereqs for med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dropped two courses in my undergrad. The subject never came up at the interview. But i also retook those classes later and did well in them the second time. They were physics two and organic I ..... so also the part about dropping premed prereqs being bad, I don't think it is true. It is better to cut your losses and try again later, than fail a class.

P.S. I know other people who have dropped premed prereqs like I did and got in top tier med schools.

semideadperson said:

yes. no.

I drop a couple every semester, but they're not listed on our transcripts.

Mateodaspy said:
you can't be admitted to medical school if you've ever dropped an undergraduate course. any dummy knows that!
what he said.

My pride never let me.

Unless you drop tons of classes it shouldn't be a problem. Some people act like its better to get a C than it is to drop a class, but I don't think its such a big deal to drop. If you drop during the withdraw period, it should be fine and it won't count against your GPA. At least thats how it is at my school-if you drop during the first half of the semester you get a W and it isn't included in your GPA, if you do it after that date, you get withdraw passing (WP) or withdraw failing (WF), and if you get WF it is included in GPA.

I withdrew from OChem 2 after the drop/add deadline. At FSU it shows up as an WD on your transcript. It was questioned at my lone interview, and was probably the biggest mark I had. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless you know you're going to fail the class, but it is better than a D or F.

I dropped Organic 1 after the drop deadline because things were not looking good for me in the class. I re-took it, did fine, applied to medical school, and got in! No worries about a few drops, as long as they aren't "drop F's". It never came up in interviews. Good luck. :luck:

utgirl812 said:
I dropped Organic 1 after the drop deadline because things were not looking good for me in the class. I re-took it, did fine, applied to medical school, and got in! No worries about a few drops, as long as they aren't "drop F's". It never came up in interviews. Good luck. :luck:

What about auditing courses?? How do they look at that?