Has anyone else started off in a low level math class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fakhter

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well i'm starting off at the level right before pre calculus but it's not developmental. I always feel like if I don't get an "A" in the class the admissions committees will think of me as an inferior applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking pre-pre-caluclus (algebra 2?) at a community college is usually a bit below average math level for most college freshman premeds, so getting an A would be preferred. Most admissions officers that I've heard speak say that they want to feel comfortable about your academic skills, so try your best and show them what you're capable of.

Well i'm starting off at the level right before pre calculus but it's not developmental. I always feel like if I don't get an "A" in the class the admissions committees will think of me as an inferior applicant.

I had little to no mathematics for 6 years before starting college. I started off in a algebra 108 course, college algebra. It was one of the hardest classes that I had just because I was terrible at math in high school plus the math skills I lost along the way. I studied a lot and went to tutoring a bunch, ended up with a B. My only B until Organic 2. When people ask what my most difficult class was, I always say Math 108 and they laugh. Nobody ever gave me a hard time about it though.

I had little to no mathematics for 6 years before starting college. I started off in a algebra 108 course, college algebra. It was one of the hardest classes that I had just because I was terrible at math in high school plus the math skills I lost along the way. I studied a lot and went to tutoring a bunch, ended up with a B. My only B until Organic 2. When people ask what my most difficult class was, I always say Math 108 and they laugh. Nobody ever gave me a hard time about it though.

After reading your sig i think everything turned out well for you.....just curious what was your final GPA?

After reading your sig i think everything turned out well for you.....just curious what was your final GPA?

Thanks, yep it def worked out. In the end of the day cGPA is 3.95. B in organic 2 and B in college algebra.

What's college algebra? I haven't really heard of people going to college without completing precalculus at least. The lowest level math class at my school was Calc 1 or stats.

What's college algebra? I haven't really heard of people going to college without completing precalculus at least. The lowest level math class at my school was Calc 1 or stats.

College Algebra = first 1/2 of pre-calc, some schools (CC's mainly) make it a 16 week course though. Since I was out of school for 6 years I had to start under pre-calc, Intermediate Algebra-->College Algebra---->Trig---->Calc. Ego took a hit. Yet I'm in Calc right now. I've had to go through lot of damn tutoring, but yeah dgsilver, college algebra was an A- for me, worked my ass off for that haha.

I've known people to start at the pre-calc level, and even second-year algebra. The only thing that matters is what you do from here; no one will hold it against you, as long as you get As. That's the beauty of college, after all.

College Algebra = first 1/2 of pre-calc, some schools (CC's mainly) make it a 16 week course though. Since I was out of school for 6 years I had to start under pre-calc, Intermediate Algebra-->College Algebra---->Trig---->Calc. Ego took a hit. Yet I'm in Calc right now. I've had to go through lot of damn tutoring, but yeah dgsilver, college algebra was an A- for me, worked my ass off for that haha.

Is there a separate class for trig then? I thought trig was just incorporated into Alg II and percalc. That's how high schools in California do it.

I only took Calc II and stats in college considering that's basically all you'll need as a premed. Looks like you caught up nicely to those who started in more advanced math classes than you. :)

At my undergrad, most people either started out with college algebra or pre-calc, and trig was taken after, and then Calculus. That's also assuming people didn't take liberal arts math, which bypasses all of the above and just did....whatever they did in those classes. There were people from my school who started out with College Algebra and went on to med school(and graduated undergrad in 4 years) no problem.

In other words, it won't be seen as a negative feature to start out at a lower level math class at all. As long as you do well, nothing wrong with it.