Has anyone ever asked to postpone the April 15th Decision DEADLINE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baloo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a dilema. My husband is a 2nd year med student and is seeking transfer at the schools I got acceptances at. The problem is that the med schools he's seeking transfer at, won't let him know until AFTER the April 15th deadline. Which ever school he gets into (God willing) is where I will go get my doctorate. Do you think that the two schools I got accpetances from will allow me to postpone the deadline for that purpose? Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm having a dilema. My husband is a 2nd year med student and is seeking transfer at the schools I got acceptances at. The problem is that the med schools he's seeking transfer at, won't let him know until AFTER the April 15th deadline. Which ever school he gets into (God willing) is where I will go get my doctorate. Do you think that the two schools I got accpetances from will allow me to postpone the deadline for that purpose? Thanks...

My guess is no, grad schools won't really be sympathetic to your cause since the April 15th deadline exists for a reason and helps keep everything else on schedule. But then again, you never know until you ask.

I'm also doubtful, but provided you approach it correctly I don't see the harm in asking. Just be very delicate, you want to make it clear you are VERY interested in attending but need to do what is best for your family as well. Then its just going to be hit or miss whether you get someone that is completely understanding, or one of the "Scientists don't have time for personal lives" people. Fortunately the latter seems relatively rare in this field.

This might be a good thing to ask your POI rather than just the grad admissions folk. They likely have more flexibility in what they can allow. Do you know when your husband will find out? If we're talking a few days, I think you may have a good chance. If he won't find out til May you might be out of luck. Though if your POI really wants you to go there and is well-connected they might even be able to pull some strings with at least speeding up the transfer process (though I wouldn't count on them convincing the med school to let him in).

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, it probably depends on how long after the 15th you expect to know about the med school transfer. Clearly, you're not just asking for more time because you're indecisive; this is probably one of the most understandable explanations I can think of for why you'd want more time. I'm really sorry that you're having to deal with this!

However, if you look at it from the school's perspective, you can see how they might be reluctant to extend the deadline. Whichever school you decline (I'm assuming/hoping you're only holding 2 offers) is going to be in the position of having to find a student after the deadline, when the majority of people on their waitlist have presumably accepted other offers. Not a great scenario for them.

Best of luck!!! Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for everyone's input thus far. I also thought that I should mention that I am a PsyD not a PhD student. I think I might have a better chance because PsyD classes aren't mentor (POI) based liked PhD. PsyD classes usually consist of 30 students, so I'm not letting down any particular mentor. Do you think that because I clarified my situation, that being a PsyD will better for me postponing April 15th deadline? Thanks...