Has anyone ever been blind-sided by their official AMCAS gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iBro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Just wondering if anyone has been set back after calculating their official AMCAS gpa after looking at the GPA reported on your school's website.

When I transferred from a CC two classes did not follow me to University, but they will show up in my AMCAS gpa. That combined with the fact that AMCAS doesn't account for A+ will reduce my gpa from almost 3.8 to 3.65, which has me worried.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes - I took two classes at Harvard for their summer program in my junior summer of HIGH SCHOOL. They showed up on my AMCAS GPA. I would warn anyone that takes undergrad in high school about this - I didn't know until I applied.

Reactions: 1 user
YES.

I had no idea my GPA was that high!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes - I took two classes at Harvard for their summer program in my junior summer of HIGH SCHOOL. They showed up on my AMCAS GPA. I would warn anyone that takes undergrad in high school about this - I didn't know until I applied.
This happened to me too. Who knew that classes I took as a 14 year old would factor into my gpa for med school. I wanted to explain this in some of the secondaries who generically asked if I needed to explain my grades, but I figured it sounded like an excuse. But still, that B I got for a 4-credit course dropped my sGPA by a few points.

My GPA was higher thanks to more college classes in HS. More As, make for a higher GPA. Unfortunately my A+ grades don't count for much more.

Is there a way to find out or is it a sit down and do it yourself deal?

This happened to me too. Who knew that classes I took as a 14 year old would factor into my gpa for med school. I wanted to explain this in some of the secondaries who generically asked if I needed to explain my grades, but I figured it sounded like an excuse. But still, that B I got for a 4-credit course dropped my sGPA by a few points.

Haha. That happened to me too. I never thought that it will come back to bite me four years later.

How do they know about college classes taken in high school? From your university transcript? I took a college class for credit in HS, but it's not on my transcript, so I'm hoping it won't show up on amcas either...

You must send all transcripts with classes taken at the college level. There is no exception unless they're something like AP or IB classes (which don't count).

How do they know about college classes taken in high school? From your university transcript? I took a college class for credit in HS, but it's not on my transcript, so I'm hoping it won't show up on amcas either...

I think it's just honor code, but if they find out, they could easily take away your acceptance. If they wanted to find out, they could possibly use National Clearinghouse as I know my community college is listed on that. I actually didn't send in my transcript for my community college class because I forgot about my dual credit classes that I took in high school and it wasn't listed on my university transcript. They actually did verify me without my community college classes and I had them add my classes after verification. I only knew to send in my transcripts from reading something here and remembering that I took a class.

AP credit doesn't count toward your gpa

Last edited:
anything on the university transcript should be reported

Last edited:
Is this usually something that is on an academic history summary/official transcript?

If the community college has a transcript for you, that has to be sent. I spent a few hours reading AAMC rules and even if you didn't transfer credit, it has to be sent.

It was taken for dual-enrollment credit, and I must have chosen to forgo that credit somehow because it's no longer on my academic file (where even AP/IB credits show up).

If you enrolled in the program and took the class, you must send the transcript. The institution where you were dual-enrolled should have a record.

Is there a way to find out or is it a sit down and do it yourself deal?
I did it myself because I'm not applying until next year. But what the AMCAS reports is all that really matters in the end.

Am I the only one shocked by a decrease in GPA from the A+ grades? My school counts them as 4.0...

If the community college has a transcript for you, that has to be sent. I spent a few hours reading AAMC rules and even if you didn't transfer credit, it has to be sent.

Yes this is how I believe it has to go. Even though a few courses didn't transfer with me from CC to University, they will come back to haunt me when I submit my primary application.