Has anyone ever called out a professor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor246853

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we're sitting in lab and the professor (I think he's a grad student..looks kinda old tho) is going over protein structure. He's going on about how the side groups interact during quaternary and the alpha/beta forms during primary. I mean he drew it and everything. So Im the only one looking around the room like what? While everyone else is taking notes on this crap.:confused: I didnt want to call him on it and look like I was being a smart ass because he controls my grade. Has this happened to anyone else? Should he be called out since these could be test questions?

Members don't see this ad.

So we're sitting in lab and the professor (I think he's a grad student..looks kinda old tho) is going over protein structure. He's going on about how the side groups interact during quaternary and the alpha/beta forms during primary. I mean he drew it and everything. So Im the only one looking around the room like what? While everyone else is taking notes on this crap.:confused: I didnt want to call him on it and look like I was being a smart ass because he controls my grade. Has this happened to anyone else? Should he be called out since these could be test questions?

Well, apha/beta is definitely secondary structure. I wouldn't call him out in the middle of class, but maybe talk to him afterwords.

I'd generally avoid contradicting or questioning instructors, but in cases like this one where he's clearly screwing people up, it may be a good idea to try and ask a question in a way that lets him backtrack a bit. Otherwise, let it go, and be content to know he's wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
What? Call him out for sure, absolutely.

You don't need to do it like a dick and be all "yo, prof, dat side chain be interactin' during secondary structure, yo." But if you form it in the form is a vaguely confused sounding question, it goes over much better.. "But, Dr Soandso, I thought earlier we were talking about how the secondary structure results from the side chains...is it quaternary now?" Or something like that. It'll make him stop, pick apart your question, and realize he was wrong.

No stress, plus brownie points for being that-guy-who-knows-the-stuff-about-things.

Yes, and he gave me 2 E.C. points towards my exam he was reviewing.

I'd generally avoid contradicting or questioning instructors, but in cases like this one where he's clearly screwing people up, it may be a good idea to try and ask a question in a way that lets him backtrack a bit. Otherwise, let it go, and be content to know he's wrong.

Definitely.

If you question the professor, you're "that guy." I would just wait and talk to him after class; if you point out the error, he'll more than likely correct himself later.

I should mention that it wasn't a full class, it was a optional study day class in which on 5 students came in. So technically I wasn't labelled as "that guy." (I hope)

Yeah this isn't the first time he said some messed up stuff but for some reason it got to me this time. He asked "Now does anyone have questions over this"? I have never in my LIFE held in something so hard...I almost burst a vein. It was like holding in urine while he talked about restrooms or something. Like NickNaylor said..I don't want to be "that guy" and get screwed. You guys have some good advice but even if I talk to him after class, what about the rest of the students? I don't think he will go over everything all over again...He's kinda...lost

I should mention that it wasn't a full class, it was a optional study day class in which on 5 students came in. So technically I wasn't labelled as "that guy." (I hope)
This is a lab of about 40. People are already dropping the class due to his accent and teaching style. I'm just going to go with the flow.

You don't need to do it like a dick and be all "yo, prof, dat side chain be interactin' during secondary structure, yo." But if you form it in the form is a vaguely confused sounding question, it goes over much better.. "But, Dr Soandso, I thought earlier we were talking about how the secondary structure results from the side chains...is it quaternary now?" Or something like that. It'll make him stop, pick apart your question, and realize he was wrong.

No stress, plus brownie points for being that-guy-who-knows-the-stuff-about-things.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: I like you.

I would approach the professor in private and ask for clarification on the subject.

It is odd that you refer to calling a professor out. It seems in your mind the professor is being deviant. Normal people would have just asked a clarifying question.

It is odd that you refer to calling a professor out. It seems in your mind the professor is being deviant. Normal people would have just asked a clarifying question.
I'm not normal.:cool:...

Members don't see this ad :)
Today we were dissecting muscles of a shark in comparative vertebrate anatomy and my professor kept having a hard time pronouncing the coracoarcular muscles.

Wow, my life sure does sound lame.

Definitely.

If you question the professor, you're "that guy." I would just wait and talk to him after class; if you point out the error, he'll more than likely correct himself later.

An important skill to learn in med school!

You do not call out your professor. If anything, you ask a clarifying question in class. Talk to him afterwards. "Dr. Soandso, I wrote in my notes the quartenary structure contributes to blah blah blah." He'll correct you and you'll not make him look like an ******* in front of the entire class.

This is about social decency. It's not polite to call someone out over something so minor when it can be corrected later. Regardless, you're a student and he's a professor. He knows more about the subject he's teaching than you will ever know unless you pursue a PhD in that subject. This happened in my freshmen chemistry class and it created an extremely hostile environment. One of the teachers misspoke and when one student laid into her about it, the entire class started. The professor being a normal human being tried to defend herself while the mob went crazy.

Be tactful. This is undergrad where you might be invinvible or have more protection if you act like a jackass, but in medical school, on rotations, and during residency and attendingship if you do this kind of thing no one will want to work with you and people may indeed go against you.

You do not call out your professor. If anything, you ask a clarifying question in class. Talk to him afterwards. "Dr. Soandso, I wrote in my notes the quartenary structure contributes to blah blah blah." He'll correct you and you'll not make him look like an ******* in front of the entire class.

This is about social decency. It's not polite to call someone out over something so minor when it can be corrected later. Regardless, you're a student and he's a professor. He knows more about the subject he's teaching than you will ever know unless you pursue a PhD in that subject. This happened in my freshmen chemistry class and it created an extremely hostile environment. One of the teachers misspoke and when one student laid into her about it, the entire class started. The professor being a normal human being tried to defend herself while the mob went crazy.

Be tactful. This is undergrad where you might be invinvible or have more protection if you act like a jackass, but in medical school, on rotations, and during residency and attendingship if you do this kind of thing no one will want to work with you and people may indeed go against you.

Professors/classmates usually hate it when someone tries to be a wise-ass. One kid in my gen chem class always says something so stupid and irrelevant, it not only infuriates the professor, but the whole class literally laughs (and not with him).

i dont understand why there is so much debate over this. Use your judgement based on what the professor is like. If he is super easy going you could raise your hand and politely ask a question showing him the correct answer like "wait, i thought it worked THIS way..." do not under any circumstances be a ****. If he is a hard nose, talk to him after class. If he doesnt believe you bring proof and talk to him after the next class.

Definitely.

yep. don't ever be 'that guy.' let that guy do that.

Definitely.

Ya.. Some girl called out the professor in math, now everytime she does a problem, she sarcastically looks in her direction..

slightly related, a professor i had was making rather homophobic remarks during that time in california when we were dealing with banning same sex marriage... she taught logic and i wanted to call her out for 'slippery slope' but i couldn't bring myself to do i was confused if it was either a test or her actual opinon. suffice to say i secretly hope the ombudsman pwned her. lol

+1 for this method of handling it.

I'm a big fan of the acting confused one, most of the time its not that the professor doesnt know the information, but has misspoken or something similar.

no, I'm far too shy for such actions. :oops:

This is about social decency. It's not polite to call someone out over something so minor when it can be corrected later.

Agreed, especially if the prof values teaching. Learn to pick your battles.

I favor the approach of asking a leading question in the middle of class.

Well today we finished up with the protein structure and it wasn't a mistake because he said the same thing as last week. I waited until after class and asked "Sorry I'm a little confused, I thought it was this way, I just want to understand this for the test...." He had absolutely no idea what I was talking about at all. I pretty much left it alone before he thought I was "questioning" his knowledge. I didn't come off cocky...just a little confused and curious. I just didn't want everyone to be confused when the test rolls around but hey I did my part.

+1 :thumbup:

"You said this just now, but I thought... correct me if I'm wrong," is a great way to set a prof back on track.

Because if there IS some obscure reason why they're right, you'll get to learn it and you won't look like an idiot either, and if they just made a brain fart they'll be glad for the chance to correct it right away rather than letting it settle into the brains of a bunch of impressionable students.

For persistent informational problems... go to them after class with a textbook or reference or ask a third party (like, usually there's a prof who serves as the department ombudsman who can referee for these kinds of things.)