Has anyone ever gotten a 45?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hindubhaisaab

hindubhaisaab
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
See thread title

Members don't see this ad.

Jonathan Orsay (author of the Examkrackers series) got a perfect score on the MCAT.

I could of sworn he said 90th percentile or something like that and not his actual score; makes me wonder why he didn't go to med school and still make the EK books

Ya he says he got into the 90th percentile, but if you look at the MCAT percentiles, 90th is about 34+ so I'm not sure if you can say he got a 45. And apparently the percentage of people get a 44 and 45 is ~0.00 something percent lol. So maybe, maybe not, but perhaps in the history of the MCAT someone got a 45, considering it is multiple choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know of someone who got a 44. He is autistic. He was accepted to medical school, but never passed his clinicals.

I could of sworn he said 90th percentile or something like that and not his actual score; makes me wonder why he didn't go to med school and still make the EK books

Cause he probably makes a lot more money off the EK books than a doctor would make.

i got a 45...i was so freakin excited when i found out..i was jumpin up and down........ then i woke up...

My TPR instructor said it was impossible to get a 45 because she said something about how the curve works or something like that. She said the max score was 43, I don't know if that's true or not.

But if you look at the unedited review of EK on the end of every single EK book, this girl Teri R- got a 43 and got accepted into all of her dream schools. How the hell do you get a 43 anyway? You must miss only like 1 or 2 problem out of the entire thing right? (If my TPR teacher is correct, then that means she didn't miss any.) Sounds impossible to me.

It is possible and it HAS been done. People need to realize, as has been discussed numerous times in older threads, that despite the "0.00" percent, there are people who do it. Think about this: There are over 40,000 test takers for this test. What's 1 person out of 40,000? 0.00, if you round. It's possible.

But if you look at the unedited review of EK on the end of every single EK book, this girl Teri R- got a 43 and got accepted into all of her dream schools. How the hell do you get a 43 anyway? You must miss only like 1 or 2 problem out of the entire thing right? (If my TPR teacher is correct, then that means she didn't miss any.) Sounds impossible to me.

That's the thing about the MCAT though, you never know what or how many you missed.

My TPR instructor said it was impossible to get a 45 because she said something about how the curve works or something like that. She said the max score was 43, I don't know if that's true or not.

yes, this is what TPR teaches its instructors, that 43 is max because you can't get a 1 or a 2 on the mcat so you also can't get a 44 or a 45 on the current version.

incidentally, and I hate to start another one of these is a 44 or 45 possible discussions, but i mean, I think common sense tells us that a 44 or 45 isn't possible, not because it's not possible to get all the questions right, but because getting all the questions right doesn't give you above a 43. If a 44 or 45 were possible, how is it that no one on SDN has ever seriously claimed to have gotten a 44 or 45. I know it doesn't represent every single MCAT-taker, but still. Everyone has heard of legitimate 43s, but not 44s or 45s (since 2002). And I don't buy the argument that the MCAT is so incredibly hard that no one can get every question right. i mean, it's not THAT many questions, and it's hard, but every question has a logical answer, it's not like the answer choices are totally random and everyone's guessing. and out of the 420,000 tests that have been given since 2002, for no one to have scored a 44 or 45 means that getting every question right does not give you a 44 or 45.

Are you guys kidding me?! Please stop and actually THINK about what you're saying.

Each section is graded and curved independently. I hope you can all agree with me that there have been people who have scored 15 on BS, others that have scored 15 on PS, and others that have (ready for it?) scored 15 on VR *gasp*. So, if it's possible to get 15's on each section, then it is definitely possible for one person to get 15 on all three sections. I don't understand why you would think it's impossible... it's not like AAMC looks at the scores and says, "Well, this guy DID answer all the questions correctly, and DID get 15 on each section, BUT that adds up to 45, and we can't have that. No way. Let's give him a 13 on VR."

Please.

And if that's not enough for you, I personally know 2 people who scored 44s and 1 person who scored 43. Also, some TPR people came to talk to my school, and both said that they personally know someone (not a teacher) who got a 45. It's possible.

To clear up the questions about Jonathan Orsay, in EK101 he claims to have gotten a "perfect score on the MCAT", but it's unclear whether he's talking about just VR or the whole MCAT. He says his BROTHER, David Orsay, who actually authors the EK101 book, scored above the 90th percentile on the verbal section of the SAT (a feat that we all know is very possible).

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, this is what TPR teaches its instructors, that 43 is max because you can't get a 1 or a 2 on the mcat so you also can't get a 44 or a 45 on the current version.

incidentally, and I hate to start another one of these is a 44 or 45 possible discussions, but i mean, I think common sense tells us that a 44 or 45 isn't possible, not because it's not possible to get all the questions right, but because getting all the questions right doesn't give you above a 43. If a 44 or 45 were possible, how is it that no one on SDN has ever seriously claimed to have gotten a 44 or 45. I know it doesn't represent every single MCAT-taker, but still. Everyone has heard of legitimate 43s, but not 44s or 45s (since 2002). And I don't buy the argument that the MCAT is so incredibly hard that no one can get every question right. i mean, it's not THAT many questions, and it's hard, but every question has a logical answer, it's not like the answer choices are totally random and everyone's guessing. and out of the 420,000 tests that have been given since 2002, for no one to have scored a 44 or 45 means that getting every question right does not give you a 44 or 45.

But that's not even remotely true, and I wouldn't listen to anyone from TPR if they made a claim as outlandish as that. A 45 has been done numerous (Relatively) times. The curve doesn't work to not include a 45 on the test, that's just outlandish. Saying a 45 isn't possible is just as outlandish as saying getting a royal flush isn't possible because of the statistics of that (less than 0.00 percent - 1 in the 2,598,960)

I don't even care to be honest. I will never even sniff around the 40 range, and I'm busting ass to even get to the 30 territory. Congrats to all who gets 40+.

my friend told me that her friend who attended northwestern university got 45 a couple of years ago.
and personally, i know someone who got a 43 this year
and he sounded sort of disappointed.. but thats beside the point

hahah yeah I feel like this is one of those 6 person removed things (not even)..but my princeton review teacher's college roommate's boyfriend got a 45:rolleyes:

Greg Focker got a 42.

Are you sure? I could have sworn it was 41 -- 13PS 13VR 15BS

And let's not forget the previously mentioned Kumar who got a 45 and the main character of the movie "21", who got a 44 (and the scholarship guy in the movie said that there were many applicants with his credentials). Any other fictional MCAT superstars?

I got a 45 on my scrap paper--I just forgot to mark all my answers on the exam :eek:

that is by far the most incoherent post i have ever read on SDN. it make absolutely zero sense.

Now, I don't know if this is true or not. And I'll probably never be sure until I meet someone for myself who got a 44 or 45. But both sides make at least some sense to me.

The "possible" scores are 0-45 correct? But no one can make less than a 3 because you can't get a 0 on a section. Even if you get them all wrong, you still get a 1. So why is the "possible" score allowed to be wrong on one end but not on the other? I've heard is that for every 1 there is a 45, every 2 the is a 44, etc. So is this is the case, 43 would be the highest.

Sleepy makes a good point, too. SDN is full of super obsessed pre-meds. Why has no one here gotten a 45? Every question has a logical answer. I mean going back over practice tests, we all see the solutions. Maybe no one's fessed up or something. I know I wouldn't be too keen on the idea of sharing that.

However, like other posters have pointed out. The sections are supposed to be scored separately, or so we think. Why would someone who got every question right get a lower score on some section, just because they did really well on the other sections? However, I don't know exactly how the MCAT is scored. Maybe they do take the other sections into account. Does anyone know besides the MCAT people themselves?

However, in my honest opinion, does it really matter all that much? A 43 is good enough. No med school is gonna turn down a 43 and think, "well if they had a 45, we would have accepted them." It's about the total package.

Sure, it would be awesome to be able to say you got a 45. But it's like every other test in the world. Once you pass it and move on to the next step, no one cares anymore. Honestly, who hear cares about what you got on the ACT or SAT anymore? Once we're in med school, the MCAT will be just the same. It's all about just getting in.

Just my .02, take it with a grain of salt. (And all other cliches that may be appropriate in this situation)

Are you sure? I could have sworn it was 41 -- 13PS 13VR 15BS

And let's not forget the previously mentioned Kumar who got a 45 and the main character of the movie "21", who got a 44 (and the scholarship guy in the movie said that there were many applicants with his credentials). Any other fictional MCAT superstars?

1083379879889_MeetTheParents.jpg

If its possible to get a 15 on one section, its possible to get it on all sections. I don't see what the problem is here.

I have a factual answer to the OP's question. On the AAMC MCAT website (the section called "Examinee Data"), it says that no one has gotten a 44 or 45 since 2003. (It's certainly possible to do so, but no one has managed it.) You can find a complete score distribution for the 2007 exam on the AAMC site.

As an aside, SDN member QofQuimica got one of the highest MCAT scores in recent years: a 43S. (I read this in her SDN Volunteer Profile.) Never in my wildest dreams could I get a score that high.

If its possible to get a 15 on one section, its possible to get it on all sections. I don't see what the problem is here.

15 x 3=43 the highest possible score.

Now back to studying for the MCAT and figuring out why I keep missing all these questions that require calculations....

I have a factual answer to the OP's question. On the AAMC MCAT website (the section called "Examinee Data"), it says that no one has gotten a 44 or 45 since 2003.

Where does it say this? If you're looking at the same examinee data I'm looking at, they just show percentages of students achieving each score... rounded to the neares 0.1%. This means that (assuming 60,000 people are taking the test), 60 students would have to achieve a given score in order for it to show up on the graph/table. Otherwise it will round to 0.00%. Obviously, at the most, only 1 or 2 students in a year will get a 44 or 45, so this is definitely going to show up as 0.00% regardless.

Like I said, I know someone who got a 44 this past year (or at least that's what he claims. I dunno why anyone would lie about that). It's possible, though EXTREMELY difficult.

In response to why no one on SDN has gotten a 44 or 45... have you noticed that everyone on this forum is worried about getting into med school? or needs advice on MCAT? If I had a 44 or 45, I'd probably be working hard on my app and not breaking a sweat, rather than asking everyone else for advice.... although with some of the people on this forum, I'm truly surprised there has yet to be a "OMG :( :( I got a 15BS/15PS/14VR!!! but I heard VR is the MOST important! Should I retake??" thread haha just messin people; don't hurt me

See thread title
Yes, it is possible, but it's highly improbable that one person will manage to score a 15 on all three sections.

As an aside, SDN member QofQuimica got one of the highest MCAT scores in recent years: a 43S. (I read this in her SDN Volunteer Profile.) Never in my wildest dreams could I get a score that high.
Fortunately, you don't need to get a score that high to be a competitive applicant for medical school. :)

Yes, it is possible, but it's highly improbable that one person will manage to score a 15 on all three sections.

Fortunately, you don't need to get a score that high to be a competitive applicant for medical school. :)

thank you!

anything that is 38+ is great score. if it comes down to someone with a 38 and someone with a 41, I say they both get interviews.

or say you have a 3.6 and 41, or if you have a 3.6 and 38, you still get an interview either way.

I have a factual answer to the OP's question. On the AAMC MCAT website (the section called "Examinee Data"), it says that no one has gotten a 44 or 45 since 2003.
Yeah I couldn't find this statement either. Student1799 can you post the link where you found it?

HAHA! My feelings have changed overnight. I KNOW I will score a 45T this September. Once I do, I will put this debate to rest. Just wait everyone.

HAHA! My feelings have changed overnight. I KNOW I will score a 45T this September. Once I do, I will put this debate to rest. Just wait everyone.

Only if I don't get the 45T first, and they arbitrarily decide to take two points off your score to prevent having too many 45s.

thank you!

anything that is 38+ is great score. if it comes down to someone with a 38 and someone with a 41, I say they both get interviews.

or say you have a 3.6 and 41, or if you have a 3.6 and 38, you still get an interview either way.
IMO, your set-up is still too restrictive. I'd argue that 30-32 is competitive, 33-35 is very competitive, and 36+ is stellar. To put this into perspective, a 30 puts you in the top quartile of all test-takers, while a 33 puts you in the top 10%. If you score above a 35, you're in the top 5% of all test-takers. There are only a few thousand people who manage to score in the 36+ range each year out of nearly 70,000 test-takers. This is why I say there really isn't much additional advantage once you get above a 35.

if you are reasonably serious, I bet it's much harder to get a 3J than a 45T. Apart from just not doing anything, no one can be so unlucky that he or she misses all 144 questions.

if you are reasonably serious, I bet it's much harder to get a 3J than a 45T. Apart from just not doing anything, no one can be so unlucky that he or she misses all 144 questions.

You could just not answer them. Even if you do answer them all I don't think it would be that hard. It's always easy to eliminate at least one wrong answer choice. It wouldn't be that hard to get a 3 but you would still have to know quite a bit to pick out a wrong answer for every question.

Oh and to the OP, of course it is possible to get a 45. If you can get 15s on each section they aren't going to change your score in one of the section just so you don't have a 45.

If it isn't possible to get a 45 that implies either that AAMC uses a different scale to score different people's tests on the same MCAT, or that if someone gets all the questions correct AAMC artificially lowers the score on one section and nobody who took that MCAT could get a 15 on that section. :rolleyes:

Where does it say this? If you're looking at the same examinee data I'm looking at, they just show percentages of students achieving each score... rounded to the neares 0.1%. This means that (assuming 60,000 people are taking the test), 60 students would have to achieve a given score in order for it to show up on the graph/table. Otherwise it will round to 0.00%. Obviously, at the most, only 1 or 2 students in a year will get a 44 or 45, so this is definitely going to show up as 0.00% regardless.

Like I said, I know someone who got a 44 this past year (or at least that's what he claims. I dunno why anyone would lie about that). It's possible, though EXTREMELY difficult.

If you look at that bar graph you'll see that it says 0.0% for people who got a 42 as well, but there is a little blip on the graph indicating that someone actually did get a 42, but it was so few people that it was less than .1 percent, so less than 60 people...so I hate to say it but I think your friend is lying because something would have shown up there for 42 or 43. I hate to call people liars, but why else would that be? On a lighter note if someone tells you they got a 4 you'd know they are lying too. I have actually never heard of someone getting a 43, but I dont get why people are saying that its the highest possible score, in fact it doesnt even make sense, if your gonna go with the "you can't get less than a 3" logic than the highest would be a 42, not a 43, and that doesnt really make sense because like a lot of other people have said you can get a 15 in each category, but you can't get a 0, you'll get at least 1, so the lowest you could get is 1 + 1 + 1 = 3, and the highest is 15 + 15 + 15 = 45.

Status
Not open for further replies.