Has anyone ever gotten in with...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrInTheMaking

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody on this network ever been accepted into medical school despite getting at least two Ds in mandatory science courses?

I finished freshman year with very poor grades in chemistry due to poor study habits. I KNOW I can do better. I just don't know if I still have a shot at medical school. Maybe I should just give up now?

Supposing I manage to pull a decent GPA, strong upward trend, good ECs, and a very good or just decent MCAT score, what do you think my chances would be?

Can anybody here relate to my experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anybody on this network ever been accepted into medical school despite getting at least two Ds in mandatory science courses?

I finished freshman year with very poor grades in chemistry due to poor study habits. I KNOW I can do better. I just don't know if I still have a shot at medical school. Maybe I should just give up now?

Supposing I manage to pull a decent GPA, strong upward trend, good ECs, and a very good or just decent MCAT score, what do you think my chances would be?

Can anybody here relate to my experience?
I am in a similar predicament. Never say never. D's certainly aren't going to help your chances. But I'd never quit just because somebody on the SDN Forums told me I should give up.

Get the A's and prove you're a worthy applicant. I'd consider retaking the courses.. even if they don't get factored into your Med School GPA its still worth showing that you're capable of learning that material.

you will NEED to retake those courses, and your school may choose to average them together, which wouldnt be bad. If you can pull 4.0s or close to 4.0s for the reminder of college, you will have a shot. Too early to give up, but understand that you got a lot of work to do.

every course you take for a grade will get factored in.. retakes count just like any course... it's just that in some ugrads and for DO schools you get to replace the first grade but for med school they will average the two (so 4 credits of C- retaken for an A- would look like 8 credits of B-).

but yes, retakes are in order because any prereq grade below a "C" is usually considered a non-passing grade by (~all) medical schools.