Has anyone ever had a Board Complaint filed against them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trixter888

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted to get feedback if anyone has ever received a board complaint against them? How common is this?

During my medical school years a doctor once told me that everyone will get one eventually.

I appreciate any insights or stories that you may be able to share.

thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t necessarily think everyone will get one eventually. They say that about malpractice suits, too. I had one patient a couple of years ago angrily march into my office and demand to know my license number, yelling he would file a complaint. I...declined. I advised him that the state board's contact information is on the poster in the hallway.
He was angry that I did not agree that 4 bowls of indica with Xanax 1mg PO TID and a fifth of whiskey daily was the optimal treatment for anxiety. I'm still waiting.

My friend next door did have to respond to a complaint about alleged refusal to treat an ER patient. Allegedly the ER doc called him and asked what he would do if he had a hypothetical patient with alcoholism making suicidal statements. My friend said put him on a one to one, do the usual labs, consult psychiatry, the usual. Turns out, the patient wasn't hypothetical, sobered up, wasn't suicidal anymore, and got mad the ER doc wouldn't give him oxycodone, refused detox, and went home AMA and filed a complaint on my friend. He had to correspond with the state medical board off and on over two or three months before it was resolved with no action. As far as we know then patient did not file a complaint on the ER doc. The board was not sympathetic and did not apologize for the waste of time and stress incurred.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Years ago got a letter. Can't really remember details, but I think it was don't contact us we'll contact you and we are investigating a complaint.

Several months later got another letter saying nothing was found, nothing was done, and nothing will be on file, or something to that regard. I had no idea who the person was or what the issue was.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is highly dependent on the state honestly. There are some state boards with very fine trigger for investigations, but not for action and there are some that rarely investigate if they will not perform an action. Some also simply have more funding for investigations than others. Some will notify you everytime there's a complaint, some will only notify you if the complaint reaches a certain "level" - like its especially egregious, from another physician, or from multiple individuals. It depends on the state board.

I had 3 complaints filed. All of them ridiculous. One accused me of being part of a multinational conspiracy made of the world's most powerful people where I was a major player in getting supermodels to _uck-it and _uck-it. The involuntarily committed inpatient who filed the complaint alleged that the nurses were my muscle. This was all pre-Jeffrey Epstein. The state medical board even sent someone to the hospital to investigate. The guy who drove over 5 hours to the hospital told me everyone already even knew it was bogus but he had to do it cause there were by-laws saying whenever someone was involuntarily committed and there was a sexual assault accusation they were required by law to actually send someone and he considered it the biggest waste of time.
The same patient had a history of launching literally dozens of complaints based on delusions and was well-known to the medical board.

The other time I terminated a patient, and his mom demanded I take him back, I gave no response cause it violated HIPAA, and I was accused of "not caring." So the complainer-the mom and I had no doctor-patient the relationship, the patient himself didn't launch the complaint. Again it was stupid and a waste of time. In my retort back to the state medical board, I remarked how it was odd and inappropriate that they even elevated the case to the point where they wanted a response because it was PRIMA FACIE obvious the case should've gone nowhere.
1-the patient himself launched no complaint.
2-the person who launched the complaint had no legal relationship with me
3-there were no damages physical or emotional or otherwise done except for the mom's accusation that she was slighted by me for following federal law. She couldn't even state I did anything wrong to her son.
4-I'm being accused of "not caring" because I followed HIPAA.
5-If I'm such a terrible doctor why is this mother chronically contacting my office demanding I take her son back as a patient when he was already referred to other doctors who had openings to take him? (This was not a case of there was no other doctors available, he was already taken by another doctor).

It was tossed out.

PRIMA FACIE for you non-forensic psychiatrists means it's so obvious it's BS at first impression that the legal institution is supposed to just immediately toss it out. E.g. if a patient sued the doctor cause he thought he didn't like the doctor's necktie color, then the court could just pretty much toss it out without even telling the doctor, or tell the doctor of the complaint but state that there's no reason to worry and the case didn't move forward at all.

In the above case, yes it was tossed out but they actually wasted the time to demand a response from me. Her own letter explained itself. She was complaining because I wouldn't start a dialogue with her other than that I do not violate HIPAA so I wouldn't discuss the case.

The third was a raging borderline who wanted benzos and I wouldn't give them. It was tossed out. The same patient had a history of launching literally dozens of bogus complaints.

I had one patient threaten me, but I already knew the complaint was bogus. She wanted to get out of a no show fee. I refused. Honestly I would've had she asked nicely, but 1-she was threatening, 2-the day she was late she showed up over 30 minutes late and insisted I see her despite that the next patient in the schedule was on-time, and then told me she didn't care, eff that patient, she matters more. At that point I terminated her, and this day wasn't the only day she showed that type of narcissistic behavior. So then she then got a lawyer who wrote a letter demanding I drop the fee that I thought was interesting cause the cost of the lawyer was likely more than the cost of the $100 no show fee. Guess what? I didn't drop the fee, and I didn't even respond to the lawyer. I figure she was trying to just scare me cause lots of doctors cave-in when a lawyer gets involved.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I took care of a couple of patients of a local private psychiatrist that were admitted to our unit, both of whom were unimpressed with his care and requested that they be referred to different psychiatrists. Apparently he wasn't too pleased with this decision and directly called our department's clinical chair and threatened to file board complaints against me for unclear reasons but seemingly due to the accusation that I told his patients that he was a bad doctor (which I did not - they were clearly able to deduce that themselves). He ultimately opted not to as I'm sure the board would be very curious to learn about the correlation in his prescribing practices and the hundreds of thousands of dollars he receives from pharmaceutical companies each year (thanks OpenPayments).

Anyone can file a board complaint for any reason. As long as you are practicing good clinical care, acting in the best interest of the patient, and not being grossly unethical or unprofessional, the likelihood that anything progresses beyond a complaint is low.

I look at it this way. Anyone work in a restaurant? You do good service you still get a mother effer who'll complain and try to get a free meal. Yes this type of customer is extremely rare, but it happens.

You'll get patients complaining where you did no wrong. In defense of some of these patients they don't understand how medicine works. E.g. lots of family members get mad when you don't discuss your patient's private information.

This is a reason why I terminate patients if the dots connect and they're too troublesome. Anyone being rude to my assistant more than once without any reason that could justify their anger, we terminate that patient. The chronic headaches are when the patient did nothing wrong, and their family member is causing the irritation, cause if I terminate the patient I figure I'm punishing them for their family member.

At my practice, all of the doctors agreed to a master termination list for patients where we detected they were troublemakers. If we terminate a patient that patient cannot go to another doctor in the practice. Anyone new patient calling for an appointment is checked to see if they're in the troublemaker list.

Now here's an example of a troublemaker.
New patient arranges an appointment. First appointment he says there's no problems and he's just seeing a doctor to be evaluated. The psychiatrist asks several questions, does several screens and the patient denies any problems whatsoever.

So it's a few days later and his wife calls screaming at the office saying he's got Bipolar Disorder. She says the doctor was completely wrong to say he has no disorder and she's going to sue. She demands the records, the receptionist tells her there is no HIPAA clearance, and she says the assistant must comply because she's the guardian (seems unlikely, they're married, he wasn't disabled, he is employed and makes a comfortable living) so she's told if she's the guardian to produce legal papers proving it and she doesn't.

So it's then several days later and it turned out he was sent to the ER allegedly for being manic (we really don't know, this is all based on her allegation, drug-abuse? personality disorder, true mania?) and she calls back again saying this was further proof the doctor was wrong and you can hear her and him both screaming at each other. So then he comes over and asks for a copy of his records, cause he wants an evaluation saying he has no Bipolar Disorder. So the doctor tells the guy that the evaluation was only based on his answers and the doctor can only see what he sees in the office and that he denied any of the symptoms of the disorder but that doesn't prove he doesn't have it because he was only presented with the picture the patient presented to him. He asks for the ER visit records.

Now while this is happening, the wife walks into the waiting area while her husband is getting the records and they start screaming at each other. He shows her the report as if it's 100% proof he doesn't have Bipolar Disorder and they continue bickering.

At that point the doctor terminated him for causing a disruption and giving that doctor reason to believe the patient had his own agenda. He was added to the master-list of people never to take again as a patient.

So guess what? It's months later, and I'm the new medical director of brand new clinic. That couple brought their drama over to that place too and the pretty much same exact thing happened again! He arranged an appointment, told the clinician there was nothing wrong, the wife calls, says the same stuff (alleges she's the guardian, alleges she's going to sue).

So the clinic calls me up and tells me what happened and I didn't even know who these people were yet cause the doctor that terminated the patient at my private office never told me about it. I look up the patient's name in the master-termination list, I see his name, and I ask the doctor about it and WOW! We terminated that patient at the clinic too!

Last edited:
  • Wow