Has anyone ever had a professor who was an MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuroprotector

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not in med school, but in college, or even high school? Med school is long and arduous, and you learn a lot of science along the way. That might make for a good bio background. Does anyone know how common it is for a doc to go into teaching below the med school level?

Members don't see this ad.

Not in med school, but in college, or even high school? Med school is long and arduous, and you learn a lot of science along the way. That might make for a good bio background. Does anyone know how common it is for a doc to go into teaching below the med school level?

I had a professor who had completed his four years of medical school (and hence had an MD) but was waiting around to complete his PhD requirements. This was in a health policy class. He had yet to start a residency.

I had an MD for vertebrate physiology. Didn't really like him though.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my favorite prefessors is an MD, he teaches Execise Biology courses.

There was one at my school. He use to be an orthopedic surgeon, and he had a lot of rumors that went around about him. The theory was that he had a really bad temper and got made at a nurse in surgery and threw a scalpel at her, and then lost his job or license or something...

My younger brother goes to a high school where one of the prof has a DO but not an MD.

I should have clarified, but I guess it's too late to change the title. DO or MD.

We have an MD on staff in my biology department- however he can only teach nursing anatomy and physiology because an MD is a "technical degree" so he can't actually teach the pre-med students... instead we get a guy who isn't so nice and who fails more people than he passes- its insane!

My endocrinology class in undergrad was taught by a practicing MD. This was the only class he taught.

I had one that was an MD/PhD and who was also the most unethical man, professor or otherwise, I'd ever met. Thankfully, he was fired mid-semester. Apparently, he may have also been in court for destruction of documents pertaining to prescription pain medications and barred from interactions with medicare for ten years.

Thank God that's anecdotal and not representative of the profession. :laugh:

histology and immunology were taught by this great old MD that spent his life doing research. he was the one who discovered and defined the different classes of hepadnaviruses. great professor, did his medical training at Johns Hopkins

we have a couple other MD professors in the biology department. I took human physiology from one who is also chair of our pre-med committee. nice enough guy. went to UTSW

We have a few outside MDs/DOs teach the pharmacy students during physiology. My microbiology lab professor has her MD. However, she was licensed in India and I'm thinking she didn't complete the requirements to practice here. She also trained at Hahnemann in immunology.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had one who is an MD, PhD, MPH (as an MPH professor), he also wrote one of my LORs. He always had great medical stories to tell in class.

I had one really cute South African guy who was an MD...he was an epidemiologist, and taught an epidemiology course.

My medical microbiology professor was also an MD- she went to Loyola, and was one of the best teachers I ever had at the college level!

At my undergrad, there were at least 5 practicing MDs from the affiliated medical school or community who taught undergrad courses, which was awesome. Two of my letters were from MD/PhDs who were my professors.

Also, I had some friends who took grad level courses (e.g. biomedical engineering, bioethics, neurobiology, nanomedicine) in undergrad which were taught by MDs or MD/PhDs.

We have an MD on staff in my biology department- however he can only teach nursing anatomy and physiology because an MD is a "technical degree" so he can't actually teach the pre-med students... instead we get a guy who isn't so nice and who fails more people than he passes- its insane!

Dr. Reese???

I had a professor who got his MD, began his own practice, and then decided it wasn't for him and that teaching was more his thing. So, he decided to start teaching general psychology at my undergrad school.

I also had a teacher in high school who finished medical school and his residency and then decided he wanted to teach AP American History and he's been doing that for ten years now.

Guess some people just change their minds... :rolleyes:

I had a professor for vertebrate physiology that I didn't know was and MD until I asked him to write a LOR. He was a PhD too, obviously.

A practicing neurosurgeon teaching a course in Medical Bioinformatics.

An attending in pediatrics teaches human gross anatomy at my alma mater. Then again, he got a PhD in anatomy before getting his MD. The course technically falls under the jurisdiction of the med school, but is taught to undergrads.

I actually had a teacher in high school who was an MD. He taught an elective "medical diagnosis".

thats one of the great things about medicine... there is lots of options within the field: treat patients, teach, do research. No other career offers that much flexibility :)

I had an MD for a clinical biochemistry course

I had two MD's and this was at a community college!

I know an MD from Egypt and a dentist from Venezuela that teach Biology at a local CC. I guess they didn't wanted to do another residency or something. And one of my biochem teachers at UF was a MD/PhD.

We had a biology teacher in my high school who must have become disillusioned with medicine. Coulda been late 20s, early 30s, not sure if she completed a residency. She taught lower level bio classes.

One of my absolute favorite teachers of all time, and this was in high school, and I still talk to him(online that is), was a chiropractor. People addressed him as Dr. .....but i just called him poffie..... love that guy!!! everyone thought he had like a PHD in english or something... but he used to be a chiropractor. And I had him for three classes.... english and two years of film apperciation/media arts. He always wore Hawaiian shirts and set on his computer I hear he got his chiropractor degree online. He'd been married three(at least three) or four times and his wife was the school librarian who had these huge jugs. Rumor has it one of his former wives came to him for back problems.... I bet she was like..... dude that's not my back! That's a rumor though.... He was just super cool. And a complete genius!

Yup, an MD teaching community college A&P. He wasn't a terrible teacher but his heart wasn't in it. For some reason he wasn't practicing medicine anymore. He was fairly young, 40ish. I don't know what his specialty was. He only taught there for a couple of semesters....