Has anyone ever had an employment offer rescinded due to negotiating salary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Greeney

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received an offer from a major chain. It's for a position in an undesirable location that kind of has a hard time retaining pharmacists. I know negotiating an offer might be pointless in today's market, but I figure it doesn't hurt to try. I'm just hoping the employer doesn't get put off by my negotiating and take back the job offer.

1) Has anyone successfully negotiated their salary after receiving an offer from a chain?

2) Has anyone heard of a chain rescinding an offer after negotiation?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just be happy you have a job offer

Reactions: 4 users
Just be happy you have a job offer

I am, thanks.

I should note that the reason I want to counter is because the offer is a bit on the lower end for the market, especially with the location being undesirable.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am, thanks.

I should note that the reason I want to counter is because the offer is a bit on the lower end for the market, especially with the location being undesirable.

Shoot your shot.

I am, thanks.

If you don’t have another, higher, offer for the market then this one is not low

Reactions: 1 users
If it’s for a manager position then you may have a chance... but nonetheless, it doesn’t hurt to try. The most they can say is no.

I wouldn't try to negotiate not for a retail position. Wait until you have started and demonstrate value, then you might have some leverage.

I am, thanks.

Do you have a history with this company? What negotiating power do you have?

Go ahead and try, they will simply say something like the offer we are giving you is competitive with the current market.

While others may make more, salaries are currently stagnant, with either no raises or very small ones.

I assume you came here for advice and not just a bunch of people telling you to go ahead and try it.

I received an offer from a major chain. It's for a position in an undesirable location that kind of has a hard time retaining pharmacists. I know negotiating an offer might be pointless in today's market, but I figure it doesn't hurt to try. I'm just hoping the employer doesn't get put off by my negotiating and take back the job offer.

1) Has anyone successfully negotiated their salary after receiving an offer from a chain?

What is the low offer? And how far away from civilization are you?

Do you have a history with this company? What negotiating power do you have?

Go ahead and try, they will simply say something like the offer we are giving you is competitive with the current market.

While others may make more, salaries are currently stagnant, with either no raises or very small ones.

I assume you came here for advice and not just a bunch of people telling you to go ahead and try it.

Yes. I came for advice, so I thank you for your input. I mainly wanted to see if anyone has ever successfully negotiated pay.

I do have history with the company actually. I had worked for them for some years before leaving for a period of time. I'm now being offered to come back but to a different location, but the pay will be that of a new grad's rate with the company.

What is the low offer? And how far away from civilization are you?

$2-6/hr lower than typical offers for the area. 2-3 hours away from civilization, depending on traffic.

Yes. I came for advice, so I thank you for your input. I mainly wanted to see if anyone has ever successfully negotiated pay.

I do have history with the company actually. I had worked for them for some years before leaving for a period of time. I'm now being offered to come back but to a different location, but the pay will be that of a new grad's rate with the company.

$2-6/hr lower than typical offers for the area. 2-3 hours away from civilization, depending on traffic.

Back in the day, sure you might be able to negotiate pay. There's not a single reason though for them to budge.

They won't rescind the offer since they would rather have someone positioned there. With new grads coming out soon, better snatch that job up before you become a floater.

Reactions: 1 user
You have to answer two questions. Are you prepared to walk away and do they really need you, to have any shot of getting a better offer. I had offer rescinded but I was asking for a different location (actually didn't want to float), so it wasn't about the money. As far as better money, they typically will not pull the plug on you unless they have someone else ready to take the offer. You will probably hear that they are locked in by the company not to go above a certain number for any new hire. Take it or leave it.

Also, it doesn't give you much of an advantage that you used to work for them. Any gap of 6 to 12 months of employment with the company will allow them to reset your benefits.

This is also the worst time to negotiate with new graduating class coming in. If it was Oct/Nov, I could see you having some leverage.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to answer two questions. Are you prepared to walk away and do they really need you, to have any shot of getting a better offer. I had offer rescinded but I was asking for a different location (actually didn't want to float), so it wasn't about the money. As far as better money, they typically will not pull the plug on you unless they have someone else ready to take the offer. You will probably hear that they are locked in by the company not to go above a certain number for any new hire. Take it or leave it.

Also, it doesn't give you much of an advantage that you used to work for them. Any gap of 6 to 12 months of employment with the company will allow them to reset your benefits.

This is also the worst time to negotiate with new graduating class coming in. If it was Oct/Nov, I could see you having some leverage.

Sorry to hear you got your offer rescinded. That's terrible and a bit of an over-reaction IMO. They could've just said no...but to actually take back the offer because of a location request? That's just crazy. Was the company also a major chain?

Even back in the glory days of the pharmacist shortage, salary was very minimally negotiable (negotiating on stuff like extra vacation days, start date for health insurance, professional membership fees, travel to conference etc. was far more likely to be favorably negotiated.) So yeah, now with the surplass, I would say salary negotiating is a no-go. My first response was that if you would try, they would just laugh and say "take it or leave it", but now I see someone says they actually had an offer rescinded, so I wouldn't try it. The one exception, as SB pointed out, if you have a higher offer from somewhere else, they you could possibly try it (since you would still have your other offer, if they did rescind their offer), but I really think it is is a waste of time. You would be better off trying to negotiate starting at a higher tier of vacation days (and that isn't likely to work either.)

Even back in the glory days of the pharmacist shortage, salary was very minimally negotiable (negotiating on stuff like extra vacation days, start date for health insurance, professional membership fees, travel to conference etc. was far more likely to be favorably negotiated.) So yeah, now with the surplass, I would say salary negotiating is a no-go. My first response was that if you would try, they would just laugh and say "take it or leave it", but now I see someone says they actually had an offer rescinded, so I wouldn't try it. The one exception, as SB pointed out, if you have a higher offer from somewhere else, they you could possibly try it (since you would still have your other offer, if they did rescind their offer), but I really think it is is a waste of time. You would be better off trying to negotiate starting at a higher tier of vacation days (and that isn't likely to work either.)

Yeah when I got my current job they wouldn’t budge on pay or vacation days. Actually they wouldn’t budge on anything. And why should they, they knew they had 50 people willing to take the job they were offering me.

Remeber the old saying, times change. The field of pharmacy is about to see some **** that no one has ever seen. Every year there are more and more new graduates and they are in debt and hungry.

Guys,
let get serious, yes there are competition in the market, but it is not that bad yet.
There are lots of opening in retail and clinical settings in Texas, i mean a lot in Houston in surrounding areas - Alvin, Pearland, Humble, Kingwood, Baytown, Friendswood and Katy. Look more into the surrounding areas

Yes, I have had an offer withdrawn (what is now Cardinal Health) over matching my current salary at the time where I worked (not even bettering it) even though that was part of the negotiation going into an interview as a PIC Radiopharmacist. They lowballed me, it was their loss, and I made sure that breach of good faith got passed around. About half a year later, they matched and added 25% after finding no one and the temporary one from another state no-notice quit, and I refused on grounds that if they were not negotiating in good faith before, why would I trust them now to not dump me? Took them another year to hire someone permanent and costed them something like $250k additional not including the salary differential. I also had an opportunity later in my career to pay that person back, and I gleefully took it. Small world works both ways in this industry.

I say this over and over again, the only defense a worker has in a capitalist society is the free choice of who to sell their labor to. There are times when you do walk away if the offer is too insulting. If you can't work for the wage you're negotiating, you don't work there.

Guys,
let get serious, yes there are competition in the market, but it is not that bad yet.
There are lots of opening in retail and clinical settings in Texas, i mean a lot in Houston in surrounding areas - Alvin, Pearland, Humble, Kingwood, Baytown, Friendswood and Katy. Look more into the surrounding areas

OP show me these jobs ? Of all my job applications in Houston so far, I either graveyard silence or a rejection emails. In facts the rejection email doesn't address me by my name it address me as " Dear Applicant" or "Dear Candidate" :(

I also had an opportunity later in my career to pay that person back, and I gleefully took it. Small world works both ways in this industry.

There is a short list of people who, by the good grace of god, I will be able to repay this favor.

OP show me these jobs ? Of all my job applications in Houston so far, I either graveyard silence or a rejection emails. In facts the rejection email doesn't address me by my name it address me as " Dear Applicant" or "Dear Candidate" :(

See my other post in “future market”

I'm shocked at the responses in this thread.

You have nothing to risk and everything to gain by asking:
"Can you do any better than $X/hour"
Theres nothing wrong with respectfully asking for more, especially if they are trying to low-ball you.

1. I have had the good fortune to have accepted fair offers in rural retail.

2. Yes I have heard of rescinding offers in another rural, hard to staff area. DM might think you're too high maintenance from the get-go and pass.

I wouldn't want to work for someone that would rescind a job offer just because you tried to negotiate a higher salary.

I'm shocked at the responses in this thread.

You have nothing to risk and everything to gain by asking:
"Can you do any better than $X/hour"
Theres nothing wrong with respectfully asking for more, especially if they are trying to low-ball you.

I'm pretty sure Lexington2012 means to type more; please don't negotiate like this. State what you want and support it. Do you bring additional skills? Already have XYZ certs, etc? But do ask it respectfully :).

FYI I have negotiated my salary at every offer and they usually meet me halfway. Example: Offer was 60, I asked for $65, they gave me $63.

On the flip side, some managers like people who negotiate. Shows you have initiative, aren't afraid to speak up, and know your worth.

I'm pretty sure Lexington2012 means to type more; please don't negotiate like this. State what you want and support it. Do you bring additional skills? Already have XYZ certs, etc? But do ask it respectfully :).

FYI I have negotiated my salary at every offer and they usually meet me halfway. Example: Offer was 60, I asked for $65, they gave me $63.

On the flip side, some managers like people who negotiate. Shows you have initiative, aren't afraid to speak up, and know your worth.

Oddly enough, depending on the situation, that sort of flat threat actually the right thing to do. For executive compensation panels, you're taught to act like Donald Trump in terms of it's my deal or it's no deal when you know you have to sell yourself. That's not staff pharmacy in the least. But...if you are a proven Pharmacy Director and you had to move to some S-town like York, PA or Brownsville, TX, yeah, you really could negotiate like that and win. But, you have to have both the verve to threaten like that and the ability to walk away. Not many can, but if the stakes are high enough (and low enough for you), hard bargains are what they are.

However, as a pharmacist, I recommend you have a floor that you won't go under. Basically, if you cannot make your preobligated debt service payments, that's too low a salary. For those who are paying on $200k loan with a 120 month term and a 6.2% interest rate with level payments, you cannot accept anything less than $2,240 monthly just for the debt payments (that does not include the cost of living at all which is fairly scary). If you have to cobble multiple jobs together to make that, that's the way it has to work.

Seems like a lot of managers would rather have doormats that would rather keep quiet and not fight back.

Beggars can't be choosers in this job market where there are plenty of hungry new grads who are $200k+ in debt and would kill to have your position.

Guys,

I'm from Dallas. Not sure about lots of openings but there are steady amount of openings on retail side. Not sure about the clinical side though. When I was applying, got interviews from Parkland, Baylor, Medical City, some other small hospitals and long term care pharmacies. Almost all of them told me that I was one of 8-10 candidates they were going to interview out of close to 100 applicants. Fortunately, I was able to land an independent pharmacy position but that was after applying for jobs for 3 months.

So I would say there are job opportunities out there still but may need to put in some work before you can land something that you can be happy with.

I'm from Dallas. Not sure about lots of openings but there are steady amount of openings on retail side. Not sure about the clinical side though. When I was applying, got interviews from Parkland, Baylor, Medical City, some other small hospitals and long term care pharmacies. Almost all of them told me that I was one of 8-10 candidates they were going to interview out of close to 100 applicants. Fortunately, I was able to land an independent pharmacy position but that was after applying for jobs for 3 months.

So I would say there are job opportunities out there still but may need to put in some work before you can land something that you can be happy with.

Thank you for pointing straight to the fact there are jobs out there, IN big cities. It pissed me off so bad when a bunch of people on here (current pharmacist) keep telling incoming students about saturation etc. These students have a passion for this career, let them explore it. STOP giving them false information. The job market is like thay for all other majors - accounting, finance, engineering, nursing etc

Thank you for pointing straight to the fact there are jobs out there, IN big cities. It pissed me off so bad when a bunch of people on here (current pharmacist) keep telling incoming students about saturation etc. These students have a passion for this career, let them explore it. STOP giving them false information. The job market is like thay for all other majors - accounting, finance, engineering, nursing etc
3 months to find a job hahahaha

Used to be whenever you feel like it or 5-6 offers before graduation.

But yea, if you are happy to be unemployed 3 months or until forever, and uproot your whole family to where the job is and still oblivious that the saturation is here, go ahead tell your friends and family to go to pharmacy.

3 months to find a job hahahaha

There are many students (other majors) took longer than a yr to find a job and the pay is no where close to pharmacists. 3 months is nothing, get serious. All the people that I know were able to get jobs before graduating, if not less than a month. Cmon now

There are many students (other majors) took longer than a yr to find a job and the pay is no where close to pharmacists. 3 months is nothing, get serious. All the people that I know were able to get jobs before graduating, if not less than a month. Cmon now

To each their own, but I know that in my p3 year, ALL technicians that were pharmacy students at Osco got written job offers as pharmacists - that'a over a year BEFORE graduation. I have a hard time to believe that many fields are in the same condition especially with unemployment at 3.9%.

STOP giving them false information.

Stop giving them false hope. There's no point in walking into a field with your head in the sand. There are negative market forces in pharmacy right now and we see these effects every day. Better to know what you are up against so you can make an informed decision.

Yes, get serious a bunch of interns at my company aren't getting jobs now. In fact, some of them quit after getting 8h/week last yr floating lmao. They moved to central California to find jobs there. Trust me they sticked around close to a yr thinking it would get better because they couldn't find anything close by then they had a light bulb moment no full time job in good areas. Buh bye family and coastal cities :)

A lot of them don't even get offers this yr. Real enough for you?

Ask any new pharmacists 23-26 yr olds in BFE why they are there. Hell ask OP. I'm sure the answer is I can get a job where ever I want, my family is in SF/LA/SD and I choose to be in this town.
According to you.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask any new pharmacists 23-26 yr olds in BFE why they are there. Hell ask OP. I'm sure the answer is I can get a job where ever I want, my family is in SF/LA/SD and I choose to be in this bum fu3k Egypt town.

Not all new grads work at BFE places, and i know that for a fact. By the way, we are talking abt the job availability, u are talking abt location. There ARE jobs out there, if you are willing to relocate.

According to you.....

Ask any new pharmacists 23-26 yr olds in BFE why they are there. Hell ask OP. I'm sure the answer is I can get a job where ever I want, my family is in SF/LA/SD and I choose to be in this bum fu3k Egypt town.

According to you.....

Not all new grads work at BFE places, and i know that for a fact. By the way, we are talking abt the job availability, u are talking abt location. There ARE jobs out there, if you are willing to relocate.

Yes, get serious a bunch of interns at my company aren't getting jobs now. In fact, some of them quit after getting 8h/week last yr floating lmao. They moved to central California to find jobs there. Trust me they sticked around close to a yr thinking it would get better because they couldn't find anything close by then they had a light bulb moment no full time job in good areas. Buh bye family and coastal cities :)

A lot of them don't even get offers this yr. Real enough for you?

And where is the location?

Yes, genius. Such wow fact. :rolleyes:

I know, right? U are welcome btw
For what? For you to go on a full reta4d and be delusional about the job market saturation? It's entertaining man. Keep it up!

For what? For you to go on a full reta4d and be delusional about the job market saturation? It's entertaining man. Keep it up!

You are just so selfish about your job security. Every new grads ALWAYS have a job, period.

Given current trends, the result of these students pursuing their "passion" for pharmacy will end up no better than those pursing their "passion" as an actor, artist, or musician. Being underemployed while having to pay off massive student loans is akin to a struggling actor having to moonlight as a server in between working gigs...

And to think that 10-15 years ago many of us went into pharmacy because it was a "stable" profession with job security.

Reactions: 2 users

Did you read the whole post? He said he interviewed for a job that had 100 applicants. Sure, there are jobs in big cities, but 99% of people applying for them aren't going to get them, and will still be jobless. I like the poster who compared pharmacy with people going to college to be actors/musicians/artists. SURE, there is a 1% who will succeed and make a great living at it.....but realistically, most are going to fail, and it's a financially bad decision to take out loans for.

Did you read the whole post? He said he interviewed for a job that had 100 applicants. Sure, there are jobs in big cities, but 99% of people applying for them aren't going to get them, and will still be jobless. I like the poster who compared pharmacy with people going to college to be actors/musicians/artists. SURE, there is a 1% who will succeed and make a great living at it.....but realistically, most are going to fail, and it's a financially bad decision to take out loans for.

I don't think people who were applying for the same jobs as I was were unemployed. I assume they were all in the same boat as I am, just wanting to get a better job. I was in retail for about a year and half and realized it wasn't for me. Had I been looking for just any pharmacist job in general, I think I would've had much faster result. There were plenty of job postings in Dallas-Fort Worth area and much more in outskirt of the metropolitan area.

There is definitely saturation in hospital and clinical side of pharmacy though. According to two of my mentors, who are both director of pharmacy at two different hospitals, when I asked them for a job they said it would be very difficult to find a hospital position at the moment because there are no openings. I think this is where networking comes in handy since you may get the upper hand but still, they can't just create an open position for you just b/c they know you.

Last edited:
Given current trends, the result of these students pursuing their "passion" for pharmacy will end up no better than those pursing their "passion" as an actor, artist, or musician. Being underemployed while having to pay off massive student loans is akin to a struggling actor having to moonlight as a server in between working gigs...

And to think that 10-15 years ago many of us went into pharmacy because it was a "stable" profession with job security.

I laugh at the idea at these students being willing to make the sacrifices of artists, actors, and musicians. Many, if not most pre-pharms are incredibly spoiled and won’t relocate and/or work in retail to fulfill their proclaimed passion for pharmacy.