Has anyone ever heard of this happening?? ...m

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muttmommy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, this is a whole new thing for me - I've never EVER seen this happen before. My cat (he's around 10-12yrs.) has always had ear sensitivity issues and shakes his head violently if you get near them. I suspected ear infection, mites, etc. The vet disagreed at the time and said his ears looked good. I was skeptical, but figured he would know better than I.

So anyway - tonight, I finally got hold of my cat and gave him a pat on the head. He shook his head as usual and this time something came flying out of one of them - it happened so fast I couldn't see which one.

When I went to pick it up with a towel, I looked closely at it because it was at least 2" long - rather large to be coming out of an ear. I'm not even sure I can describe it correctly - it looked like ... a piece of tripe. SERIOUSLY. There was no blood, it was pale but still a little pinkish, and looked like a piece of tripe, except it came out of his ear. I'm guessing that it was a piece of skin or ear lining, but it just totally threw me for a loop. I was even thinking it was part of his brain!!

Ok, I know I sound stupid, but has anyone ever heard of something like this? Yes, I am taking him to the vet - first chance I get. But from a medical point of view - I'd like to know if anyone has ever heard of this happening so I don't feel so - I dunno - freaked out about it, I guess.

I'm not looking for a diagnosis per se - just some reassurance that it is somewhat normal. I'm not panicking, just genuinely curious from a veterinary point of view. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Does you cat go outside? Are you sure or estimating 2 inches? Does it look like it can be some kind of larva(worm like?)

muttmommy said:
Ok, this is a whole new thing for me - I've never EVER seen this happen before. My cat (he's around 10-12yrs.) has always had ear sensitivity issues and shakes his head violently if you get near them. I suspected ear infection, mites, etc. The vet disagreed at the time and said his ears looked good. I was skeptical, but figured he would know better than I.

So anyway - tonight, I finally got hold of my cat and gave him a pat on the head. He shook his head as usual and this time something came flying out of one of them - it happened so fast I couldn't see which one.

When I went to pick it up with a towel, I looked closely at it because it was at least 2" long - rather large to be coming out of an ear. I'm not even sure I can describe it correctly - it looked like ... a piece of tripe. SERIOUSLY. There was no blood, it was pale but still a little pinkish, and looked like a piece of tripe, except it came out of his ear. I'm guessing that it was a piece of skin or ear lining, but it just totally threw me for a loop. I was even thinking it was part of his brain!!

Ok, I know I sound stupid, but has anyone ever heard of something like this? Yes, I am taking him to the vet - first chance I get. But from a medical point of view - I'd like to know if anyone has ever heard of this happening so I don't feel so - I dunno - freaked out about it, I guess.

I'm not looking for a diagnosis per se - just some reassurance that it is somewhat normal. I'm not panicking, just genuinely curious from a veterinary point of view. Thanks.

Oh before I forget If you haven't already...Do not throw it away, and take it to your vet (by your description I am thinking of a bot fly larva called cuterebra.) But please take it and your cat to the vet so the he/she can look, I am only a second year student and have not even seen what you are talking about so I may be way off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Chris - I'm pretty sure it was around 2" or so. I did throw it away but went and fished it out of the trash cuz I pretty much had the same idea as you. I'll be taking kitty in as soon as I can get an appt. He is strictly an inside cat, but I guess anything can happen. Thanks for the idea about the botfly too - I'll bring that up with my vet. Cheers!

Sounds like a polyp that came loose...but your vet would want to see the UFO....