prettylady

5+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
has anyone ever moved to a state away from their hometown/university and become a resident of that state to go to a specific medical school?
I think I found a program i really want to go to, but as out of state i wouldnt get in (they barely accept out of state students, and my scores arent incredible/amazing).
My scores as an in state are above average of their admitted students.
Is this common?
Thanks for the help! feel free to PM me as well
:)

theWUbear

EM PGY2
7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
Medical Student
It's not an easy search but there have been threads that deal with changing states to change residency, so it's definitely been done.

If I were in your situation, and I had a passion for a specific program, I would get in touch with that school's admissions office and explain your intentions to move solely because of your desire to matriculate into their program. That would certainly tell you from the horse's mouth how they would react to such a situation. It would also expose them to you pre-application.

dw2158

10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
seems awfully risky to me. IMO, most of us could be pretty happy at almost any med school if we take certain general factors into account (geographic location, for example, if that's important to you). i wouldn't change your whole life for a single school when there are likely one or two dozen that could provide you with a similar experience.

shiftingmirage

10+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Check out state residency requirements. Some states require you to live there for 1 year for non-educational purposes. So make sure if you make the move, you can claim residency.

On a side note...does anyone ever enforce the residency thing? I just had to check a box, but it seemed like we were on the honor system...

dw2158

10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Check out state residency requirements. Some states require you to live there for 1 year for non-educational purposes. So make sure if you make the move, you can claim residency.

On a side note...does anyone ever enforce the residency thing? I just had to check a box, but it seemed like we were on the honor system...
there are some schools where you can't even apply if you're not a resident of the state. for UMass, AMCAS won't let you send a primary there if your permanent address isn't in MA.

Dec 2, 2009
Status

I second this. I've been living in MA since I graduated undergrad in 2006 but am still ineligible to apply to the MD program at UMass (which requires students who did not attend a MA high school to be a MA resident for at least 5 consecutive years before considered a "resident" for the MD program).

MedMan25

10+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student

I had to submit proof of residency at my state school before I matriculated. Regardless, if you were to claim residency on your application to a state medical school and they later discovered that you are not a resident, you almost assuredly would get booted from medical school for the following reasons:
1. You lied
2. You kifed money from the state's taxpayers (tuition at state medical schools is subsidized by tax dollars for students who are residents of the state)

If you were to get booted from medical school, you can kiss your chance of ever becoming a doctor goodbye since no school is going to take you in after being kicked out for lying on your application.

To answer the OP's question, yes this has been tried before. I had a friend who moved to a different state just so he could get residency and apply to the state's dental school. He ended up not getting in and it turned into a pretty big mistake financially and otherwise.

If I were you, I wouldn't invest the time and money it would take to pick up and move to a different state just so you can establish residency there. If your stats are decent enough to get into the state school in question, they should be good enough to get in elsewhere. Stay where you're at, apply broadly, if you don't get in then improve your application and try again.

ButImLETired

Prodigal member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 27, 2008
the hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I did this. People get very dramatic about moving but I've been moving around my whole life and honestly enjoy it. When I graduated college and decided I wanted to work for a couple of years, I basically just took out a map of the US and started thinking about the places I hadn't lived in yet. I definitely took into consideration the fact that I'd be applying to med school, so I looked into places that had pretty well-respected research, but I also thought about state residency. I hate the schools in the state where my residency used to be, so I figured I had nothing to lose.

I moved to CA on purpose so I'd get to apply to the CA schools in-state. Now, I know getting into a CA school is nearly impossible and yadda yadda but again, I would rather be punched in the face than have to go to one of my former state schools, so it worked for me.

Result: living in CA was a lot of fun, I have friends on that side of the country and some great contacts at a really badass hospital, and I got into one of the CA schools and ultimately chose not to go (I wanted to go to a different one, and I realized I'm not really a California person in the first place).

Davydude7

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2008
Dayton, OH
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I moved to OH from CA in March '09 and applied as OH this app cycle. It worked for me.

Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2007
I did this. People get very dramatic about moving but I've been moving around my whole life and honestly enjoy it. When I graduated college and decided I wanted to work for a couple of years, I basically just took out a map of the US and started thinking about the places I hadn't lived in yet. I definitely took into consideration the fact that I'd be applying to med school, so I looked into places that had pretty well-respected research, but I also thought about state residency. I hate the schools in the state where my residency used to be, so I figured I had nothing to lose.

I moved to CA on purpose so I'd get to apply to the CA schools in-state. Now, I know getting into a CA school is nearly impossible and yadda yadda but again, I would rather be punched in the face than have to go to one of my former state schools, so it worked for me.

Result: living in CA was a lot of fun, I have friends on that side of the country and some great contacts at a really badass hospital, and I got into one of the CA schools and ultimately chose not to go (I wanted to go to a different one, and I realized I'm not really a California person in the first place).
That's interesting because I'm trying to change my residency from CA to something else. Great as CA schools are, the CA system sucks and I feel like some schools may treat their in-states better. I was thinking NC but who knows :(

dw2158

10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical

i hear what you're saying. but i personally feel like moving for the sake of a single school, if it wasn't a move you were inclined to make otherwise, is kind of ridiculous. especially given that, as i said earlier, there isn't just a single school at which each of us are destined to be happy.

Apr 19, 2009
Status
Non-Student
My scores as an in state are above average of their admitted students.
Is this common?
I wouldn't say it is common, but people do it. I did it, but not JUST for the school. I was above their average admitted stats and ended up getting rejected. I did get in to other schools though. I liked the experience of being in a new town and working full time. I needed a break from school and a chance to meet new people. If I was to do it again, I would still move just not to this state and a bigger city.

prettylady

5+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I wouldn't say it is common, but people do it. I did it, but not JUST for the school. I was above their average admitted stats and ended up getting rejected. I did get in to other schools though. I liked the experience of being in a new town and working full time. I needed a break from school and a chance to meet new people. If I was to do it again, I would still move just not to this state and a bigger city.
did you apply as in state of the new place? and where did you go from/to?

Freezer

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2009
Peoria IL
www.facebook.com
Status
Attending Physician
when my wife and i got married, we began looking for a place where she could find employment she would enjoy and i could make plans for medical school... Roanoke VA was perfect for us... she found a great job at Hollins University and we live within 3 hours of 6 different medical schools... we moved here in 2008 from Pennsylvania and i worked for a year at a local community college and a private high school in order to establish residency to make my app more competitive... this application season i was accepted to 4 of the 6 schools... ended up accepting a seat at the school 15 minutes from where we live which interestingly enough, claims to not give preference to in state applicants...