Has Anyone Ever Skipped An Essay And Still Got An Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TopDocChick

Rock Star
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed that you can submit applications that are somewhat incomplete. Do you think they just junk them or do they look it over anyway and with the right grades, MCAT, LORS and 4 of the 5 essays done, do you think I could still get an interview?

Writing is not my forte if you haven't noticed by my last 3 posts on SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

I ended up skipping an essay on one of my secondaries because it was something about being accomplished in some other aspect of life (eagle scout, musician, apprenticeship....of which I was none). Haven't gotten an interview yet, but it's still early. I'll let you know if I do get one though....

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, are you thinking specifically about the Loyola secondary? I ask because I noticed you were concerned about those essays in another thread. If that's the case, don't feel bad about skipping a couple essays for them if you're referring back to your PS. They don't seem to care if it actually does get covered by the PS.

I've skipped a couple of essays, but only when they're specifically denoted as optional.

Ditto. Usually of the type "Describe any way in which you feel you are *blank* disadvantaged"

Don't skip any mandatory essays. Schools want students are excited about their school. Skipping essays shows a lack of interest and you're an easy toss into the "don't invite" pile when thinning down.

Ditto. Usually of the type "Describe any way in which you feel you are *blank* disadvantaged"

Don't skip any mandatory essays. Schools want students are excited about their school. Skipping essays shows a lack of interest and you're an easy toss into the "don't invite" pile when thinning down.

2 Good points! I'll have to remember them when I'm filling out loyola (If I get screened and pass).

OP, are you thinking specifically about the Loyola secondary? I ask because I noticed you were concerned about those essays in another thread. If that's the case, don't feel bad about skipping a couple essays for them if you're referring back to your PS. They don't seem to care if it actually does get covered by the PS.

No, I am specifically thinking about:
pritzker
maryland
mount sinai
rush
and loyola

All of which have either hard or too many essays for me to wrap my mind around. I think I only have one left for Maryland. Pritzker has the "how do you fit our mission statement" essay which I have been working on for nearly a month and I am starting to wonder if the problem is whether I fit their mission statement or is it that I can't get my fitness down to 3500 characters. Sinai has a million essays like loyola, whose secondary i have not gotten yet. And rush, lots of essays, very school specific, haven't even started that one yet.

I applied to Wayne state too, but I am pretty sure I don't want to go there so I am not going to fill out their secondary. At least I wheedled my 18 to 17.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could be, that sounds right. I can't stand the "how do you fit into our school" essays. No cutting and pasting, yet rewording the same attributes laced in their mission. It is hard to come up with original sentences after a while. I want to be a scientist not a writer!

Could be, that sounds right. I can't stand the "how do you fit into our school" essays. No cutting and pasting, yet rewording the same attributes laced in their mission. It is hard to come up with original sentences after a while. I want to be a scientist not a writer!

EXACTLY! I'm hoping they understand that.

I skipped the optional Texas diversity essay and have invites to 2 of the 3 schools that I applied to with TMDSAS.
I think skipping optional essays is not an issue, it's skipping required ones that could be a problem. I mean, why not send 2 LORs instead of 3 then?

You should put effort into it if you can. I think a large reason why I've been fortunate in the process so far is the thought I put into my essays. It's really the only place you can differentiate yourself, aside from the interviews.

You should put effort into it if you can. I think a large reason why I've been fortunate in the process so far is the thought I put into my essays. It's really the only place you can differentiate yourself, aside from the interviews.

Yeah, that and your 3.8 gpa & 37 MCAT. ;)

Heh, yeah, that probably contributed, but I'm really serious. I think if an adcom member sat down and read a high stat application with generic essays and an average stat application with very well-thought out essays, s/he would pick the latter for an interview. I believe that above a certain threshold, you're academically qualified for admission. After that, the intangibles, the "do I think this guy will fit in here," become more important, and that's an attitude that can only be conveyed through an essay.

TopDoc, I know it's exhausting, but you only want to do this process once. Give it your all.

Heh, yeah, that probably contributed, but I'm really serious. I think if an adcom member sat down and read a high stat application with generic essays and an average stat application with very well-thought out essays, s/he would pick the latter for an interview. I believe that above a certain threshold, you're academically qualified for admission. After that, the intangibles, the "do I think this guy will fit in here," become more important, and that's an attitude that can only be conveyed through an essay.

Yup, I agree.

I skipped the BU optional essay, but they really didn't want me to write anything.

I also skipped all the essays for Loyla, and will not be interviewing with them, ever.

I skipped the BU optional essay, but they really didn't want me to write anything.

I also skipped all the essays for Loyla, and will not be interviewing with them, ever.

Do I sense some discontent with Loyola?