Has anyone ever slept through an exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Have you ever slept through an exam?

• Heck no, I'd never do anything as embarassing as sleep through an exam, you must be out of your mind

Votes: 61 76.3%
  • Well actually.... it HAS happened.

Votes: 19 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AnnaZ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this morning was my second organic exam of the semester. And at 7:40 I jolted out of bed. What's the problem with that, you might ask yourself. Well, the problem is this, the exam started at 7:30 and I live about 20 minutes away from campus. Amid a stream of obscenities and crying I made it out the door in about 3 seconds (brushing teeth, who needs that - my orgo grade is on the line!) I did make it to the exam 30 minutes after it started, leaving me 45 minutes to complete the exam (which I managed to do, and even check over my answers thank, ya very much).

So I'm wondering, has anyone ever slept through an exam? ALL the way through? I think what I did was turn off my alarm clock thinking it was still the middle of the night (it was still dark outside after all, and I'd only been asleep for about 2 hours...)

I had this great story all prepared for why I needed extra time, but luckily it wasn't necessary.

Members don't see this ad.

in college i had an organic exam on a monday but for some reason had not been able to study all weekend. every time i tried to study i would fall asleep. i had a sore throat and felt completely knocked out. around 10pm i went to the doctor to try to get an excuse so i wouldn't have to take the exam (i've never done that before, but i swear i was just not able to stay awake). the doctor said unless i had a fever he could not give me a note. i didn't, so he didn't give me a note. i began to panic b/c i knew nothing and was too tired to study. i decided to get up at 5 in the morning and study for 3 hours for the test at 8:30. around 1 or 2 in morning my alarm beeped, it does that when the power comes back on after being off. it turns out there was a power outage all over campus. i ended up pretending my alarm didn't go off (as did half the class -- maybe their's really didn't go off) and got to take the exam the next day. i felt pretty guilty b/c i ended up getting the best grade i've ever gotten on an organic exam, but i guess i had luck on my side that day :) phew! oh yeah, and it dind't really affect my grade in the end b/c you could throw out one exam, and i could have thrown out that exam and ended up with the same grade. so i don't really feel guilty about it anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend in college slept through a final exam. Went to the prof and asked for a retake. When it came time for the retake, he overslept again!!!:rolleyes:

The last time I heard about him (we no longer remained friends since he was a loser) he was still trying to get his bachelor's degree...10 year plan (both entered college in '92)! Moral of the story...have a dual alarm clock!:p

I had a friend who passed out in the middle of our Orgo final because he hadn't been eating enough while studying for finals. Does that count?

i pulled an alniter studying for an exam and when i went to take it the next day, i found the questions too boring so i slept during the exam.
it was an engineering exam so it didnt really matter that i didnt put anything down, they curved the class so i still passed.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

slept through part of a section on the mcat. top that!:D

I've slept through exams and DURING exams.

Slept through:

1) Statistics exam (sophomore year)

2) Engineering Economy (sophomore year)

3) Differential equations test (sophomore year)

4) Thermodynamics exam (junior year)

I have gone to sleep during two exams so far.

RESULTS: In every class that I slept through an exam, I got an A. It definitely puts the pressure to ace everything. And it IS possible if you get a lucky here and there.

Cool. I love how this is getting competitive now. :)

Can't say I slept THROUGH an exam...

But I fell asleep during the science section of my ACT, and passed out for about 5 minutes in the verbal section of my MCAT...

Does that count for anything?

I pick only the worst possible tests to sleep through, only the highest standards for me

I too fell asleep during the MCAT, although it was a practice, and not the real thing, but still.

I went out the night before, and ended up "over-beveraging" as my mom would say. Actually, it was a pretty good review of reverse peristalsis... :) The next day I passed out in the middle of the BS section for about 35 minutes, but ended up getting my best practice score ever (13)! So I tried having a few drinks the night before the real thing, and it worked pretty well! HA! ;)

Falling asleep during an exam! There's a good one! I didn't even consider that option in my poll at the top. Looking at the responses now maybe I'll have to edit it.

I felt like SUCH a TOOL walking in 1/2 hour late. The prof knows me and I had to go up and get the exam. Oh the humiliation!

I am going to go do dual alarm clock from now on. I think the problem is that I use my cell phone alarm. There is no snooze option on this thing, so if you click "off," you'd best be on your way to the shower because it's not going to gently remind you that you need to get your pathetic behind out of bed. Ah well, that's one thing I don't plan on having a repeat performance of:rolleyes:

Now I just have to hope that I manage to stay awake for the whole MCAT.

Now that I think about it....I think I did show up to my DiffEq final at least 5-10 mins late. I still finished before everyone else though. :) (the one and only class that I have owned here ;))

Members don't see this ad :)
Does that recurrent dream (read:nightmare) about either sleeping thru an exam or totally forgetting an exam count. I have that one about once every two or three weeks. Nothing like waking up in a panic, drenched in sweat.

o chem at 7:40 sucks ass. now why would they make that class so damn early?

See, your panic-inducing dream freaks you out enough that I bet you will never actually sleep late. Me on the other hand. I've never been the slightest bit worried about doing something as stupid as sleep through an exam. I didn't have my little internal panic alarm set I guess. I think you have nothing to worry about.

I fell asleep during the science section on the ACT but hey...that was a long time ago...:)

I once had a dream that I was taking the exam on the day of the exam only to realize after i woke up that I didn't actually take the exam but that it was in 10 minutes....

its like hitting snooze and dreaming about waking up and getting ready in your mind.... sooo weird

Originally posted by DoubleDoctor
Does that recurrent dream (read:nightmare) about either sleeping thru an exam or totally forgetting an exam count. I have that one about once every two or three weeks. Nothing like waking up in a panic, drenched in sweat.

Interesting thread. When I'm post-call after a long night of taking new admissions and I wake up in the evening after an afternoon nap, I often scramble out of my apartment to start pre-rounding on my patients, believing that it's the next morning.

This happens about 3 times a month.

Originally posted by whyadoctor?
o chem at 7:40 sucks ass. now why would they make that class so damn early?

Oh, it's not 7:40. It's 7:30AM. At least it's only 2 days a week, but yeah, pretty rough. No pretty PowerPoint either, just overheads that are handwritten. Ugh. Only 1/2 a semester left to go!

nice stories...

actually, it's funny you brought this up. just a couple of weeks ago a girl was late to a test we were having in a chem class I was in... (really late too! she only had 10 min. left when she made it) I guess in her defense, the class was at 8:00 :D

anyway, she made it a really really really big deal and cried for the remaining ten min....

the short end to the story was that she was granted extra time to start and finish the exam!

it really helps if you can bring out the emotion :laugh: :laugh:

A friend of mine pulled two all nighters studying for his Linear algebra / Diff Eq final exam. Got to the test and fell asleep in his seat. Woke up when people were walking out.

No sympathy from the prof. Failed the class and had to retake it the next semester.

Cornell is a cruel, cruel university :D

What an ironic thread... I work full-time while going to school so all nighters are just par for the course for me. I pulled one last night to prepare for a stats midterm and knew I was going to crash if I laid down so I drove to school early (like 6am) to beat the traffic and sleep in my car for a couple hours. I figured if I slept late at least I would be within walking distance of class.

Of course I got there 15 minutes late. The exam went well, but I made at least one of those stupid mistakes you only make when you are too tired to tell the difference. :cool: - dh

Originally posted by dpark74
...have a dual alarm clock!:p

Yes! I slept through one too many classes and got a dual alarm clock. And when I have tests I set my radio's alarm as well, and sometimes even my watch alarm.

Well, not falling asleep but missing a midterm a different way. I was taking physics during the summer and as I left for my car the heaviest rain came down that I ever remember (without warning the night before, what can you do when you wake up?) . By the time I got to my car the water was up to my ankles and my shoes were entirely soaked. It took me 2 hours for me to make a normally 20 minute drive. Lake Shore Drive, for those of who know Chicago, was a lake itself, and a section of Sheridan Road was entirely closed down. I got to the midterm as they were finishing, and luckily my professor was a nice guy and let me take it the next day because I was sopping wet and freaked out from driving in that mess. Just so happens that the university was being evacuated because there was a chemical spill, but ironically they wouldn't let us back to our cars because the lot was near the spill! BTW, I somehow was the only one in the class who got stuck.

A friend of mine pulled an all nighter studying for a final that he thought was at 11:30 AM. When I woke up, I IMed him about how his final went. He said he stayed up studying for it and felt prepared to take it at 11:30 AM. I checked the final exam schedule and his final was actually at 8:00 AM, he missed his whole final exam. He BEGGED his teacher if he could take it at a later date...the teacher agreed, but gave him a much harder final...

UCLA Paratrooper

Originally posted by dpark74
My friend in college slept through a final exam. Went to the prof and asked for a retake. When it came time for the retake, he overslept again!!!:rolleyes:

The last time I heard about him (we no longer remained friends since he was a loser) he was still trying to get his bachelor's degree...10 year plan (both entered college in '92)! Moral of the story...have a dual alarm clock!:p

i know this super smart also COOL parsian dude who is my friend who has a gamecube that everyone plays... anyway, he is just cool and funny and nice to people and always stay in prof/ta's office asking question making connection with them. not a brat, cuz he did it so well that u will just think that he has charm.

anyway, he and i and this another indian kid who is in 7yrs med program always study together. this is ochem 1 honor btw. every midterm i always got the highest out of 3 of us (A). but i am too lazy doing homework which at the end, i got a C after did poorly in my final. gosh, honor ochem is so hard to get a good grade.

but this friend of mine, actually slept thru the final. me and this indian friend were freaking out for him. but this kid actually managed to get a makeup exam and got an A in that course.

what a BS don't u think?

:confused: :confused:

Originally posted by Doc Holliday
What an ironic thread... I work full-time while going to school so all nighters are just par for the course for me. I pulled one last night to prepare for a stats midterm and knew I was going to crash if I laid down so I drove to school early (like 6am) to beat the traffic and sleep in my car for a couple hours. I figured if I slept late at least I would be within walking distance of class.

Of course I got there 15 minutes late. The exam went well, but I made at least one of those stupid mistakes you only make when you are too tired to tell the difference. :cool: - dh

hey i did the same thing this monday! i pulled an all niter for my ochem 3 first midterm til like 530am, then i took a shower, drove to school parking lot, slept inside with phone alarm clock. my midterm was at 930am, and i actually got there on time. but the exam was so hard, so so hard, no way u can finish it in 48 mins.... 11 pages, 300 points. damn it.... i almost got an a...

btw, i just thought about this incident when i slept in my car in the garage in the night (so i woulnd't fall deep asleep.) i was awaken by this bright light and guess what? no $hit, a police officer was beaming at me with his headlight and searching light. he made me to unlock the door slowly as showing him both of my hands. he ran a check on my car and license... while suspecting that i was raping some drunken chick after party (which happened a lot i guess) after taht i felt totally awake and drove home.

Hey! I didn't sleep through an exam, but it was a missed exam anyway. My freshman year roommate was very absent-minded. On the day of my first french exam, she left for breakfast and locked the door behind her while I was in the shower. Nobody was around - none of the RA's and nobody that I could ask to use their phone. Eventually I had to stumble down to the guys floor (very embarrassing in just a towel) and ask to use someone's phone. My the time campus police arrived to unlock the door, my exam was over. The teacher said she had never heard that excuse before, so she let me retake the exam.

Originally posted by DoubleDoctor

Whenever I have an exam that I have been really studying har for (read: cramming), I usually have these weird hallucinations/fever dreams the night before. For example, sometimes before a hard orgo or biochem exam, I'll see molecules or equasions floating around me in my dreams.

Well, now that I've scared and alienated everyone, I'll be going now... ;)

Originally posted by abw
Hey! I didn't sleep through an exam, but it was a missed exam anyway. My freshman year roommate was very absent-minded. On the day of my first french exam, she left for breakfast and locked the door behind her while I was in the shower. Nobody was around - none of the RA's and nobody that I could ask to use their phone. Eventually I had to stumble down to the guys floor (very embarrassing in just a towel) and ask to use someone's phone. My the time campus police arrived to unlock the door, my exam was over. The teacher said she had never heard that excuse before, so she let me retake the exam.

ABW, come on, you didn't want to just truck on over to the exam in your towel? That's a crazy story! Lucky the prof let you reschedule it!!

Woots, dont' worry. I don't have fever dreams about Ochem, but I was putting my molecular models in my hair the other night.....

The first time I went to college ( 20 years ago) I slept through so many exams that I lost count. During that time I did alcohol, cocaine and boys.....pretty much in that order. I would party all night and hardly ever went to the class or the exams. After 4 1/2 years I got expelled. My parents had no idea I was screwing up so badly so I was real scared! I worked at a hospital as a file clerk so I was able to forge a medical note that said I had Hodgkins disease. I went to the Dean with my hair pulled back, my thin pale face and told him I had been too sick in the last few years to study and do well. ( what with chemo and everything!) I had a 1.7 GPA. He said if I got straight A's I could get my GPA up to a 2.0 and graduate. I moved back home, got my act together and went to class. I couldn't believe how easy it was to get the A's when you actually went to class and took the tests!

Needless to say when they called my name at graduation time, the Dean stood up and clapped for that sick little girl with Hodgkins disease!!

I don't sleep through exams anymore!

I am so totally NOT a morning person...I could not imagine a 7:30 a.m. class. My entire years in college, I NEVER took a class before 10:10 am, and even then had trouble being awake. My whole family is night-owl. Granted, I sumetimes had classes til 2:30 or 3:00 pm.....but that's much perferable to some un-Godly hour. I'm not even sure my clock as a "7:30 a.m." on it! :)

Cheers

Freshman year, I had a big biology test and a spiltting headache, I looked at the clock and rolled over. Making no attemt to take the tes. Good thing was, our teacher drops the lowest test, so it ended up working out and I still got an A in the class:D

+pissed+
Oo my chem exam was at 6:20 am....after the exam, I could not believe I actually took the test...

Originally posted by iluvuni23
+pissed+
Oo my chem exam was at 6:20 am....after the exam, I could not believe I actually took the test...

that's just wrong. I can't believe you took it either!

No. But I almost fell asleep reading this thread.

Originally posted by JerryAttric
No. But I almost fell asleep reading this thread.

I know it's your first post, but read another thread, old man. No one forced you to read this one.

You're like those people who call the 900 numbers when CNN has a phone poll and pay $3.95/min to vote "I don't know"... Why expend the effort for something you don't care about?