Has anyone ever successfully *asked* for interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mutt

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone on the MCAT forums started a thread in which they suggested that getting into medical school is partly about going after what you want.

The comment piqued my interest and since I did not get the average MCAT score that the school I am interested has among their students (35), I was curious if this might actually work.

Don't get me wrong - it sound ridiculous, as well as pushy, annoying, presumptious, etc. - but has anyone ever actually asked the school to consider them by saying something like "if there is a cancellation, I can come up anytime..."

Well?

Members don't see this ad.

:laugh: :laugh:

No but if you get to know admissions directors and deans, that helps a lot. People on here say that the dean of admisssions at NJMS really loves people who keep in contact with him a lot.

The same can be said to some extent about USF.

Members don't see this ad :)
MB in SD said:
Someone on the MCAT forums started a thread in which they suggested that getting into medical school is partly about going after what you want.

The comment piqued my interest and since I did not get the average MCAT score that the school I am interested has among their students (35), I was curious if this might actually work.

Don't get me wrong - it sound ridiculous, as well as pushy, annoying, presumptious, etc. - but has anyone ever actually asked the school to consider them by saying something like "if there is a cancellation, I can come up anytime..."

Well?

Sadly, it does not work that way.

well, not exactly, but one school told me I was going to get invited for an interview, and I called and asked to schedule it because I was already making travel plans

and people have successfully called schools in a city where they have other interviews and asked if their application could be reviewed for a potential interview during the same time...I forgot who, but somebody did that with Temple a few weeks ago

Just calling a school for an interview, though? Probably not advisable :p

Yes, it has happened to at least one person I know of. They got turned down for an interview, wrote a very convincing letter expressing their absolute commitment, dedication and interest, and were invited for an interview afterwards.

But it is probably very very rare.

I don't know if this is what you mean, but I had an interview at a school that I had to fly to and I asked another one near there if I was going to get an interview because I would like to do them both at once. They sent me an interview invite later that day.

johno83 said:
I don't know if this is what you mean, but I had an interview at a school that I had to fly to and I asked another one near there if I was going to get an interview because I would like to do them both at once. They sent me an interview invite later that day.

How did you go about doing this - contact the admissions secretary, or the Dean of Admissions? I'm interviewing at Northwestern on the 25th, and I'd really like to get U.Chicago out of the way while I'm up there, as well, but I haven't heard back from Pritzker...

johno83 said:

Well, given your stats, I think any school would get you in there if the situation arose....

Yes, it works. I'm planning to do this w/ Stanford soon. Hey Stanford, I'm gonna be in the area next week? Cna you hurry up a little? Hey, and I'll be in SF in April. Why don't we schedule my second look right now? ;)

I think it depends on your stats. I met another student at an interview who said she called Cornell to ask for an interview while she was in New York, and they signed her right up. I was like, cool! So I tried the same thing the next week, and they weren't interested in scheduling mine "at that time". Oh well. :rolleyes:

anystream said:
I think it depends on your stats. I met another student at an interview who said she called Cornell to ask for an interview while she was in New York, and they signed her right up. I was like, cool! So I tried the same thing the next week, and they weren't interested in scheduling mine "at that time". Oh well. :rolleyes:

Hahaha, yeah I know. It's actually worked for 2 of my schools, but I'm not pressing my luck. Anyway, I'd blush asking for Stanford's phone number, much less an invite :)

funshine said:
Hahaha, yeah I know. It's actually worked for 2 of my schools, but I'm not pressing my luck. Anyway, I'd blush asking for Stanford's phone number, much less an invite :)

which schools did it work for? just curious

p.s. Funshine: I tried to send you another PM just now but your mailbox is full. I have another question for you. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys laugh and all, but it happens. I called up the admissions secretary at Drew/UCLA telling her I'd be in town for two weeks for winter vacation and asked her if I could get a interview, and they granted me one. And then I got accepted.

anystream said:
which schools did it work for? just curious

p.s. Funshine: I tried to send you another PM just now but your mailbox is full. I have another question for you. :)

hey, you can send it now

Dude,
Check this out. At University of Arkansas after you apply it is your responsibility to schedule your own interview. You can read it on the web site.

at my drexel interview, a few people said that they had called other philadelphia schools to say that they would be in the area. i believe more than 1 of them said that they received invites to some of those schools (i think i remember temple was mentioned) thereafter

I wouldn't recommend trying this approach with USC. I called them today, and without even asking for my name/applicant # I received a very curt "I'm sorry, we cannot honor that request."

keg0001 said:
How did you go about doing this - contact the admissions secretary, or the Dean of Admissions? I'm interviewing at Northwestern on the 25th, and I'd really like to get U.Chicago out of the way while I'm up there, as well, but I haven't heard back from Pritzker...

I just replied to the secondary complete email with a very succinct and polite request.

As a senior at UPenn with very good stats (3.9/34), good letters, extra curricular, research, etc, I was very surprised to not get an interview at Penn's med school. I called up the dean of admissions in february, and she offered me an interview right then and there.

So is it okay to "inquire" about the status of your application but not directly ask them? For example I've been complete at Penn for awhile now but they have a status page so I might feel awkward calling and asking my status.

Hey guys

I'm in this very postion and want to drop an e-mail to the schools.

can you guys PM me what you wrote, so i can use it. I really wanna do this, so i don't have to go to same place two times.

please let me know as soon as you can.

Thank you very much

Don't try calling NYMC to ask about an interview because you'll be in the area for another interview and want to coordinate them....I called them and they basically told me "nope you have to wait for us to invite you"...not really to pleasant about it either

I also called temple and they said that all they can tell me is what is posted on the web status page...ugh....I heard they wait until april to send you a rejection letter....i'll be damed if i'm gonna wait that long :mad:

I wouldn't email - they don't usually give much detail in email correspondences. Calling them would sound like a better choice to me.

Damn, so this actually does work - on rare occasion....and with the right stats....

MB in SD said:

Well?

well.

My mum always told me good manners would take me as far as I wanted to go....

Why don't you ask for both of us???
:thumbup: