Has anyone ever tried to coerce other premeds into not applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MEG@COOL

M0DE 01
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or try to bribe them? It is a well known fact that medical schools have geographic, institutional, ethnic, etc, etc quotas set for which students they end up interviewing. Although the final decision of acceptance/rejection is ultimately based off the ability of the interviewee to cajole/beguile(if this person is a farce) the interviewer into flagging them for acceptance, competition among ones institutional compatriots nonetheless can be a liability. If a medical school chooses to only interview one or two people from a particular school because its small, would it not behoove someone if they were physically dominate to make it known that their will is to be the only one applying particular schools?(their top picks)

Members don't see this ad.

No, I try to help fellow pre-meds with any questions they may have regarding admissions and present them with shadowing and volunteering experiences that would raise their chances at interview and admissions as well as tutoring for free in the more difficult subjects and certain parts of the mcat to try to help out. To do as you described would be disgusting and, frankly, make for a horrible person.

Physically dominant? As in like literally bullying someone into not applying? I think bullying doesn't work past elementary school. A nice assault charge can take care of that. And it's gotta be quite a lot of money to convince someone to not apply that year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never really thought of it that way. Where I live there are 4 med schools, and some of the other kids are not as competitive, so not really out to discourage anyone.

Rather I listen to others and just see how they do. If they actually get in or not.

Or try to bribe them? It is a well known fact that medical schools have geographic, institutional, ethnic, etc, etc quotas set for which students they end up interviewing. Although the final decision of acceptance/rejection is ultimately based off the ability of the interviewee to cajole/beguile(if this person is a farce) the interviewer into flagging them for acceptance, competition among ones institutional compatriots nonetheless can be a liability. If a medical school chooses to only interview one or two people from a particular school because its small, would it not behoove someone if they were physically dominate to make it known that their will is to be the only one applying particular schools?(their top picks)

And this is why being a premed around other premeds is such a horrible experience. Wtf is wrong with your sense of decency? :scared: Please tell me you're joking.

I agree with stiff. That is absolutely ridiculous. You are trying to get people to give up what they gone through four years of college for so you can have an immeasureably small extra chance to gettting in. Get a life.

I think it's relatively pointless to coerce people otherwise.

If they're sitting on the fence and you convince them to, say, apply to dental school, then there's a high chance they wouldn't have applied to medical school anyway.

If they're gung-ho about med school, nothing you can say will stop them.

I have definitely met premeds who I don't feel would be good doctors, but it's not really my place to decide that.

I joke about it with my friends. For instance, last year, one of them had an acceptance at one school I wanted to go to. I tried to convince him to give it up so I could have a shot. No such luck though. He ended up matriculating there. Of course, they sent me a nice rejection letter. But I don't think I would seriously try to convince somebody not to apply or turn down an interview/acceptance somewhere.

I think that's a silly idea...but I will say that last year I had a friend with lower all-around stats get wait-listed and then accepted to a school I was downright rejected from. Go figure. I'm still happy for him...since I was rejected before he interviewed his acceptance had no bearing on me. To think there's so much to learn in medicine and I'm already a year behind... ;)

I really, really hope you're joking.

You do realize that med schools won't want to touch you with a ten-foot pole if they even think you've been behaving like this, don't you?

I really, really hope you're joking.

You do realize that med schools won't want to touch you with a ten-foot pole if they even think you've been behaving like this, don't you?

I doubt theyll ever know :rolleyes:

no that's evil x1000000.

although im kind of suspicious that its been done to me with bad advice loaded with lots of pessimistic, cynical thinking...

or maybe they were being realistic :smuggrin:

if the school is small enough, I would think this would be a pretty good strategy :thumbup: You'd have to force people to give you their AMCAS passwords too, so you can make sure no one is trying to slip through

It is a well known fact that medical schools have geographic, institutional, ethnic, etc, etc quotas set for which students they end up interviewing.
News to me. Do you have any sources you can point me to?

Whenever anyone uses the phrase "it's a well known fact", my antennae start to wiggle...

ahhh, I sense the ethics are strong in this one . . .. :rolleyes:

This coercion stuff is unethical and not too mention impractical.

Let's say you force one guy or even 5 guys from not applying...and then what? There's more that enough applicants still out there to "coerce" their way into medical school over you.

And coercion doesn't work at this level. You'll eventually meet a guy who names his fists "screw" and "you" and game's over.

Worst plan ever. :thumbdown:

(cookie for reference)

This coercion stuff is unethical and not too mention impractical.

Let's say you force one guy or even 5 guys from not applying...and then what? There's more that enough applicants still out there to "coerce" their way into medical school over you.

Yeah, you have to operate on a larger scale. Like maybe cutting the brake lines on a bus full of med school applicants.

Yeah, you have to operate on a larger scale. Like maybe cutting the brake lines on a bus full of med school applicants.

Psssh...that'd never work. Pre-meds are antisocial animals and will never congregate on a bus.
:D

*unclinches fist full of nerdy-medschool-applicant-type's shirt and lowers him back to his feet, then straightens out his shirt*

Only cuz they're watching.
squint5kq.gif